Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm I see..so all comes to the lockdown MS/Nokia put on the system. I mean having the same hw as 930 would have been great to flash a newer firmware and not to wait for Verizon's stupid moves. If XDA indeed does not find a way, well no one can :)

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Those keys are proprietary regardless of whether or not they have changed. Just because Microsoft may have access to them doesn't mean they can arbitrarily update the phone using them without Verizon's explicit approval. Microsoft does not control any carriers' network. Again, if Microsoft tried to go around Verizon, or any other carrier for that matter, they would get themselves into serious legal trouble.

Now I would think if it isn't directly related to network operations (i.e. camera, audio, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.) then Microsoft should include it. Anything dealing with the LTE, GSM, or CDMA side could be updated by Verizon; or approved by Verizon and updated by Microsoft. But since many phones have system on a chip architecture, you just can't update one aspect without updating the entire system.

I was about to post the same, basically that Microsoft cant change anything cellular radio related without Verizon's approval (think there are FCC rules and regulations regarding that), but I do think we will see a change in the way things work going forward. You could easily see a "firmware" update that handles everything BUT the cellular radio. You could get wifi updates, camera updates, battery tweaks, etc without messing with the radio. Basically they need (and likely will) make everything updateable separately to avoid carrier issues. Not (big picture) like what Google has done with Google Play.

Microsoft, just compartmentalize every component and update everything BUT the cellular radio.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Love this... but forget cyan. Go Denim! :/

As the old adage says, "Beggars can't be choosers."

I've been on Verizon for the better half of a decade, and I've used Windows Phone since its inception. And that whole time i've been just that, a beggar. That's why i'm moving my wife and myself over to AT&T in February when my contract with Verizon is up. I'm looking forward to being a chooser.

But until then, i'd just like to see Verizon roll out WP8.1 with either Cyan or Denim.

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
As the old adage says, "Beggars can't be choosers."

I've been on Verizon for the better half of a decade and i've used Windows Phone since its inception. And that whole time i've been just that, a beggar. That's why i'm moving my wife and myself over to AT&T in February when my contract with Verizon is up. I'm looking forward to being a chooser.

But until then, i'd just like to see Verizon roll out Cyan.

My family is moving to prepaid because of Verizon and their terrible support of Windows Phone. I'm not going to leave without informing them of this fact either. Can't wait for our contracts to be up in August!

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Right now I'd say it's even money that we never get another update and that Verizon pulls all support for Windows Phone. They're certainly not showing any signs of support.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
At this point I'd take either...

At this point, unless you need Bluetooth 4.0 for some reason and you have the DP.... Your just getting what you have now for feature set. Personally, I am really looking forward to 4K recording, "Hey Cortana" (this is a big feature that I will use A LOT) and faster pictures...

So, I am agree...GO Denim !!!!

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
At this point, unless you need Bluetooth 4.0 for some reason and you have the DP.... Your just getting what you have now for feature set. Personally, I am really looking forward to 4K recording, "Hey Cortana" (this is a big feature that I will use A LOT) and faster pictures...

So, I am agree...GO Denim !!!!

My main want is for Miracast support. I've had a car deck that supports it since September.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Verizon has never been first to push out updates for anything. And to even think they would be first with Denim when they've shown no inclination to even share information about Cyan is nothing but fantasy unfortunately.

I'm none to happy with Microsoft, either. Remaining silent in this mess is doing nobody any favors and with a 3% market share at best, this is no way to get it to increase.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Now that Denim is flowing, with the public saying that it was sent back to Verizon 2 weeks ago, maybe they are testing Denim....Crossing fingers...

I know a lot of people are looking forward to Cyan but, at this point, I would be disappointed if we only got Cyan...

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. If the update contains only Cyan and it's looking like we'll have to wait another 5-7 months for Denim, then I'm jumping ship from Verizon for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium