Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Outta curiosity, will you be purchasing a subsidized device from ATT, or will you buy unlocked from Microsoft?

Or will you be switching platforms?

I'll buy subsidized with AT&T. Probably on the "Next" plan. My work pays for our cell service, so the "Next" plan does make the most sense for my me and my wife.

And I will probably get whatever the next Windows flagship is on AT&T.

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
And the flagship Icon gets left in the dust by the 822, wow.

That's because the Icon/930, 1520 are the only ones going to get ,Hay Cortana, and 4k video/camera upgrade. the others are not going to get anything different than what we have now with the development program. :smile:

reignbass118

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Look, we've waited a long time for a any word on an update for the icon. We've speculated, complained, and even switched platforms while waiting. Now that we finally have news (credible, actionable), all everyone can do is complain! I'm looking forward to the features of denim (which btw, Verizon was quick to release for a US carrier). We dont have to have had waited all this time for cyan! I think this was a pretty good day for WP users on Verizon. Here's to the denim update for the icon during the first few weeks of January!

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'll buy subsidized with AT&T. Probably on the "Next" plan. My work pays for our cell service, so the "Next" plan does make the most sense for my me and my wife.

And I will probably get whatever the next Windows flagship is on AT&T.

Hah. Yep.

Much as I decried carrier subsidization because it provides the carrier means to interfere with OEM updates, the bottom line is the bottom line. Ultimately, I couldn't justify spending 180 on an unlocked new phone w/o the LTE radio. Where the carrier subsidized version was $25 with LTE. That said, the carrier specific software stripped out tethering and is behind on updates. The subsidy was for a "new line", so should I ever "need" to upgrade, than perhaps I'll buy an unlocked device.

The Next program works a bit differently. Device has to be in new or refurbished condition to trade in. I strongly recommend insurance. If your work refuses to add that cost to the bill, then you might try Worth Ave. Group as the stop gap. Great electronics insurer!

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I though "Denim is Denim"? What are we Icon users going to get extra?

HotVak123 just said what the icon will get, ill just requote him.

That's because the Icon/930, 1520 are the only ones going to get ,Hay Cortana, and 4k video/camera upgrade.

The reason Denim is coming to the 822 and 928 devices first is because its just bug fixes, a few extras and for those with no DP. The reason for the delay in with the Lumia Icon is because Verizon is getting it tested for denim and is scheduled for January for release or Q1 2015.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Look, we've waited a long time for a any word on an update for the icon. We've speculated, complained, and even switched platforms while waiting. Now that we finally have news (credible, actionable), all everyone can do is complain! I'm looking forward to the features of denim (which btw, Verizon was quick to release for a US carrier). We dont have to have had waited all this time for cyan! I think this was a pretty good day for WP users on Verizon. Here's to the denim update for the icon during the first few weeks of January!

Well said, and I agree. I think with the update out on the 822/928's; essentially showing the update "works" with Vzw's network and Lumia hardware, that we'll get it for our Icons sooner rather than later.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
That's because the Icon/930, 1520 are the only ones going to get ,Hay Cortana, and 4k video/camera upgrade. the others are not going to get anything different than what we have now with the development program. :smile:

Yeah, I know, I just had to get it out of my system.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site

I have to agree as well ... over the last several months, we just had now idea IF our Verizon Lumia ICONS were a "DEAD boat anchor"?

Microsoft "has ALREADY SAID that ALL Windows Phone 8.1 devices "would be upgradeable to Windows Phone 10" + there is some "Paul Thurrott insider info that Microsoft will change the way they distribute OTA "updates".

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, now that the 822 and 928 have it, we know there is no issue with Verizons ultra crappy apps....That they said they had to send it back to MS to fix. As these other devices use the same apps.

So, Was the app thing just a lie or excuse ? Who is to blame this time ? What BS story are we going to hear on this one, even if we get a story ??

More bull$hit from Verizon....this is really getting old...

The ONLY good thing from this is, we wont see Cyan, we will go right to Denim and maybe the ICON will get it before AT&T does and I guess I could see that as a plus...

reignbass118

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I bet I can get you guy's to cry!

the 1 quarter in 2015 is three month long :cry:

No, the article said "early 2015", not quarter. Go back and re read before spreading more negativity on what was a pretty good day compared to the last 7 months of silence and inaction. Complain complain complain....

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, now that the 822 and 928 have it, we know there is no issue with Verizons ultra crappy apps....That they said they had to send it back to MS to fix. As these other devices use the same apps.

So, Was the app thing just a lie or excuse ? Who is to blame this time ? What BS story are we going to hear on this one, even if we get a story ??

More bull$hit from Verizon....this is really getting old...

The ONLY good thing from this is, we wont see Cyan, we will go right to Denim and maybe the ICON will get it before AT&T does and I guess I could see that as a plus...
Well they might have fixed that app issue now. And maybe the Icon just has some slight issue that takes another week.

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
No, the article said "early 2015", not quarter. Go back and re read before spreading more negativity on what was a pretty good day compared to the last 7 months of silence and inaction. Complain complain complain....

Agreed Early 2015 can mean anytime between now and December 2015 in all honesty, but at least we have had some good actionable news in the past 24 hours instead of being left out in the dark. Here's to hoping for a speedy release of WP8.1/Denim so we can all stop waiting.
CodeGunner

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I can totally understand people complaining about the past silence regarding firmware for the icon. I can't understand why anyone would be complaining about a positive announcement. There is now light at the end of the tunnel where before there didn't seem as if there was any. I have been delaying purchasing an Icon because of the delayed update. I just thought it would be better to wait and see if something new/better would come along. About 10 minutes ago I bought a lightly used Icon from Ebay in anticipation of getting the Denim update in the first few weeks of January. Not only did I get a nearly new Icon at a huge discount, but I get to keep my unlimited data plan for a little longer. I also have an upgrade in the bank in case the new Win 10 phones blow the Icon away.

I'm currently using a Lumia 822. I was on the developers preview so the update to Denim really didn't give me much new. I am very much looking forward to all the upgrades I'll get with the Icon plus all the new features of Denim on the Icon. It should be enough to tide me over until the Win 10 hardware is released.

rfulton

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Weirdness yesterday. I have an Icon, and had kept the 8 load with the firmware update that resolved my Wi-Fi issues tec.. Yesterday I received an update notice to upgrade to BLACK .....10241 which I did. I immediately received a pop-up asking if I was ready for 8.1.1.... Great pages with tons of release notes etc. I was not close to Wi-Fi so I held off... By the time I got back to civilization the notice for 8.1.1 had disappeared, as well as the release notes...... Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
So... Why did Verizon send me an email saying they reserved a new device for me to add to my account? And they reserved a Nokia Lumia 928. Still I have to sign another contract and do edge or buy it for the full price. WTF?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12