Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So... Why did Verizon send me an email saying they reserved a new device for me to add to my account? And they reserved a Nokia Lumia 928. Still I have to sign another contract and do edge or buy it for the full price. WTF?

Not to sound rude, what does this have to do with the Icon getting Denim?

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Why would they be trying to get me to buy a 928 when I currently have an ICON. Maybe they are trying to get more money out of us who are frustrated with waiting for cyan/denim? Does it make sense now!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Why would they be trying to get me to buy a 928 when I currently have an ICON. Maybe they are trying to get more money out of us who are frustrated with waiting for cyan/denim? Does it make sense now!

No. Not really. Since by trying to get you to switch to a 928 won't really make them a lot of money. Especially if it is replacing a phone. Now if they are trying to get you to actually add another line, then that's different. The carriers don't make a lot of money off of the devices themselves, they make most of their money selling you the data and voice services that you use. We are a consumer based society and data is probably a higher value commodity that crude oil is...and we consume a LOT of both.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Weirdness yesterday. I have an Icon, and had kept the 8 load with the firmware update that resolved my Wi-Fi issues tec.. Yesterday I received an update notice to upgrade to BLACK .....10241 which I did. I immediately received a pop-up asking if I was ready for 8.1.1.... Great pages with tons of release notes etc. I was not close to Wi-Fi so I held off... By the time I got back to civilization the notice for 8.1.1 had disappeared, as well as the release notes...... Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm

tumblr_m98nxhChWG1r48foio4_250.gif

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Dear Verizon,

I think I speak for most Icon users when I say the following:

1.) We're still disappointed in how late you've been in delivering 8.1/Cyan.
2.) We're pleased to hear that when we do get an update, we'll be receiving WP8.1 update 1/Denim relatively early.
3.) We'd be very happy to receive a Christmas gift on time. :wink:

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Just updated my girlfriends 928 and noticed and interesting change from earlier builds (at least that I am aware). Previously you could change ONLY the internet apn, whereas now you can also change the mms apn. If this flows through to the Icon as well, it means we can actually take our SIM unlocked Icons to AT&T or T-Mobile and, at very least, get their Band 4 LTE and actually be able to send and receive MMS/Group messages.
Definitely a big change if it holds, and would allow us much more flexibility for our phones. Will test on my Icon with AT&T when it gets updated. Caution however, because I've played around with this before and been forced to hard reset afterward to get LTE back because the T-Mobile apn settings got locked in as Verizon SIM cards dont have the ability/information to override it.

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site

Don't read so much into it. It's just an automated thing. You have a Windows Phone so they feel you're more likely to be interested in another one. I got one of these a month or two ago. I also have an Icon and they recommended a 928 and this was long before this Denim news.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just updated my girlfriends 928 and noticed and interesting change from earlier builds (at least that I am aware). Previously you could change ONLY the internet apn, whereas now you can also change the mms apn. If this flows through to the Icon as well, it means we can actually take our SIM unlocked Icons to AT&T or T-Mobile and, at very least, get their Band 4 LTE and actually be able to send and receive MMS/Group messages.
Definitely a big change if it holds, and would allow us much more flexibility for our phones. Will test on my Icon with AT&T when it gets updated. Caution however, because I've played around with this before and been forced to hard reset afterward to get LTE back because the T-Mobile apn settings got locked in as Verizon SIM cards dont have the ability/information to override it.

This would be an awesome gift from Microsoft.

vzw8830

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
IMG_0537.JPG
Just got this tonight. Verizon Icon. Running DP, although its disabled at the moment. Not currently activated on VZW (using iPhone 6 ATM)
Got upgraded to Denim.

reignbass118

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
FWIW heres my 928 next to the Icon
View attachment 91883

Its a known bug. The very Icon I'm using to type this shows the same thing. Do you want to know how I know it isn't denim? Because my fitbit doesn't sync, I don't have 4k recording, and despite my best efforts, saying "hey Cortana" doesn't do anything. It does however get me some pretty funny looks from my wife.

You'll get it when we do.

Reenable the DP and you'll see it revert to Black. Furthermore if you compare the firmware revisions, you'll find its the same as ours.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Its a known bug. The very Icon I'm using to type this shows the same thing. Do you want to know how I know it isn't denim? Because my fitbit doesn't sync, I don't have 4k recording, and despite my best efforts, saying "hey Cortana" doesn't do anything. It does however get me some pretty funny looks from my wife.

You'll get it when we do.

Reenable the DP and you'll see it revert to Black. Furthermore if you compare the firmware revisions, you'll find its the same as ours.

I too am pretty disappointed that I cannot even sync my fitbit because VZW is dragging its feet.

puckrazy1

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm not going to complain, but I'm also not going to jump up and down over an "early 2015" release. Verizon still screwed this up and I'll remember that when it comes time to renew. Not that it will matter to them....

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Since the 928 and 822 are getting Denim now, then I expect the Icon to get it in January (February at the latest). Which by definition is "early 2015."

I've asked my source at Verizon who tracks device software/hardware issues with manufacturers directly and he said January specifically.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
LOL. Yeah I have a fairly reliable source. Unless it changes, they said January. Didn't say what day though. But still, that isn't long to wait.

Hey man, reach out to your source for us and let him know that, although, Cyan was a rough patch, it is really appreciated that Vzw is on it with Denim. At least this 928 & Icon owner appreciates it...

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey man, reach out to your source for us and let him know that, although, Cyan was a rough patch, it is really appreciated that Vzw is on it with Denim. At least this 928 & Icon owner appreciates it...

And not just Denim, but full flagship Denim/ 8.1.1 :grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon