Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

kamalteja

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
hey guys i got lumia icon of verizon off contract ... could not update anything higher to than what comes with the phone .... but you have workaround ... download the app "Preview for developers" and check the box in the application, you get the latest updated version of phone before it let out to the end users .....

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
hey guys i got lumia icon of verizon off contract ... could not update anything higher to than what comes with the phone .... but you have workaround ... download the app "Preview for developers" and check the box in the application, you get the latest updated version of phone before it let out to the end users .....

Really?! :eek:rly:

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Sadly, what it means to you or me is meaningless in this case. :(

most important is what it means to Verizon and it's abundantly clear that anything to do with windows phone means absolutely nothing to Verizon

I get more pessimistic as the weeks of the new year go by that we are even going to see Verizon make the effort to push out 8.1.1/Denim to the Icon :straight:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Not to sound rude... um... WP 8.1DP has been out for quite a while. However, it is the OS only. The Denim firmware won't be updated until Verizon ok's it for OTA.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Congratulations on the new phone! Most of us here love our Icons and I hope you do too. Preview for Developers is definitely the way to go.

By the way, welcome to Windows Central! Let us know if you have any questions.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
It's not even the app gap that's the issue to me. My issue is the apps that are on WP are miles behind their IOS and Android counterparts. It's updates and features that are missing for me. Yes they have the apps i want and need but not nearly as polished as other versions. One of my most favorite website, Cracked.com WP app still says "Cracked for Windows Phone 7" in the about section. Ugh!

puckrazy1

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

It's time to close this thread.

manders500

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
It's not even the app gap that's the issue to me. My issue is the apps that are on WP are miles behind their IOS and Android counterparts. It's updates and features that are missing for me. Yes they have the apps i want and need but not nearly as polished as other versions. One of my most favorite website, Cracked.com WP app still says "Cracked for Windows Phone 7" in the about section. Ugh!
This is why I advised my wife to stay with Android.

jbclemons

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Good question, and I don't know the answer. I think I'll do some cleanup to open up some additional space, just in case Denim actually does make it into the wild. What? Hey, it could happen.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I hate to interrupt this thread's death spiral, but does anyone know how big this update is going to be since it includes both cyan and denim?

That's not how updates work. It is just Denim, which will include all of and improve upon Cyan. Probably a few hundred megabytes or so...1 gigabyte at the most.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
If we close this thread, is someone going to start the "Official 8.1/Emerald for the Icon" thread first?

I got my Icon the day it came out, with the,promise of an upgrade to 8.1 by April 2014, and other that the PFD program, which has been fantastic, I have spent the entire time I have owned the phone waiting for an update. I don't even know what I would do if I still had to be on 8.0. Quite frankly I probably would have had to get a different phone. But I do have 8.1 and stuck it out this far.

This thread is an outlet for unrequited love, and its really a support group. If you are rocking an Icon, its an awesome phone in so many ways, but it needs the software updates to really be a finished product and Verizon... Is just not that into you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte