Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I thought the holdup was that there were issues with the VZ specific apps - VZ Navigator, MyVerizon, etc...I'm assuming it's taking the Icon longer because it gets more features that could still be messing with those apps...

Could be the additional features the ICON gets with Denim as well. I still think we'll see it sometime during January. Just my guess.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Seems to me that Lumia Icon is plagued by hardware issues. 928 was sold by Verizon for almost 2yrs, and icon retired after 6 months. The WiFi, screen issues, wakeup/resuming, etc. Honestly, I am not surprised by Nokia. They were having quality problems before Windows Phone - does anyone remember the disaster of N97 in 2009? Hardware that was not working or not working well together. Updates never really fixed it. Icon should see the Denim update, but Verizon may have collaborated with Microsoft to retire it to avoid ruining reputation of both companies. Hope to see a worthy flagship on Verizon this year.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I've always believed that, even though I love my ICON there are hardware issues with it. And those issues aren't corrected easily with software. Although we can speculate all day we may never know for sure just my belief. If taking this long means we get a good working Denim update for the ICON I don't mind waiting.
I agree. I think there's a fundamental hardware problem with the Wi-Fi on the Icon, and that it can't be fixed. It has the worst Wi-Fi reception of any device I own.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't mind waiting either if I know what I'm waiting for and more importantly WHY I'm waiting.

We've been kept in the dark month after month which leaves me with an uneasy feeling about this device.

If it's something that serious, VZW and MSFT should combine to offer us something to get passed this even if means an iPhone or high end Android device. What they're doing now is inexcusable.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Everything was handled by Nokia previously. As good as they were years ago, serious quality issues became a reality after they got into touch-screen smartphones. N97 was not the first one with serious issues either. Microsoft may have agreed to retire the phone after the acquisition, seeing the hardware issues. Either the phone was not tested properly, or problems were swept under the rug - who knows. My guess is that Microsoft was not OK with it. The only question is - why are they still selling it at MS Store? Clearing inventory?

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Oh and omission of glance was just stupid - the selection of the "low-memory" "high-lag" display. Obviously this wont be fixed with Denim. I don't know what was happening at Nokia. I hope Microsoft sorts out this mess for future phones. Maybe they are in the process of straightening out these issues internally, and waiting for Win10 to release something.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind waiting either if I know what I'm waiting for and more importantly WHY I'm waiting.

We've been kept in the dark month after month which leaves me with an uneasy feeling about this device.

Although I like what you said, you must be a new Verizon customer. Verizon has ALWAYS been like this, long delays for updates. They will not tell CSRs or end users ANYTHING till it's about to be released and that is normally within 24-48 hours before release (most people see a website up for it before they hear anything). If a CSR tell you tomorrow, they are guessing 90% of the time.

I remember this BS (waiting for a update) from my old Moto V710...a major update that fixed some big issues and Verizon users had to wait almost 4 months for it longer than other carriers....

It's one of the crappy parts of being a Verizon customer (everyone deals with this accept for apple)

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
When I woke up this morning my arm was tingling. I wasn't sure if it was because I slept on it funny, or if denim was being released today. I'm wearing my denim boxer briefs today just in case.

They are not comfortable, so you should all be thankful for this ritual sacrifice that I am making.

Um... Have you sacrificed a virgin yet? And WHY would ANYBODY buy... let alone WEAR denim boxer briefs???!!!

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site

If it's something that serious, VZW and MSFT should combine to offer us something to get passed this even if means an iPhone or high end Android device. What they're doing now is inexcusable.

Phone is less than 1 yr. old. Everyone who purchased at Verizon is currently under warranty. If you go through 3-4 replacements, and issues are still there, you may be able to talk your way into getting a replacement "equivalent" device. They will likely offer you something slightly lower end than the Icon. I got an HTC Trophy after ~3 LG Fathom replacements in 2011 (3G connection kept dropping on the Fathoms official rom, and there were to be no more software updates). But things may have changed since then.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
No. I'm a long time customer. I've said it before, I don't have to be first and I don't even mind being last, but this thing has gone beyond anything acceptable to be put down just to testing. We deserve an honest explanation.

And yes, I know we'll never get one, but that doesn't change the fact this we've been badly treated.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
No. I'm a long time customer. I've said it before, I don't have to be first and I don't even mind being last, but this thing has gone beyond anything acceptable to be put down just to testing. We deserve an honest explanation.

And yes, I know we'll never get one, but that doesn't change the fact this we've been badly treated.

Well, for Cyan, your right, but, Denim, your not. Denim has not been out that long now, so if we get it soon (by the end of January) it would be before a lot of other carriers get it.

Still, I do agree with you, I'm way passed pissed off about this, to the point that I don't care. I've been visiting this site less, as it keep stressing me out waiting for this dam update...

Also it's those full page ads that WC has been running that keeps me away too, but, it seems to have calmed down a little...(at least for today)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Also that the 930 is being sold and updated world wide.

I don't think it's anything dramatic that's holding up Denim on the Icon, but I do think its hardware is flawed.

Nah, 930 works fine and is a global phone (a lot more people own it worldwide than ICON owners), it's got Cyan if not Denim now, Unless there was a big flaw with the CDMA side of the ICON, that would be the only hardware I would think could have a flaw in it...

I would almost bet that it had something to do with Verizon's ULTRA-CRAPPY apps that caused this major delay, like was said before. Once they were fixed, then they need to be tested, so a few weeks of testing because Verizon sucks when it comes to updates...

Jon Hemphill

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I would almost bet that it had something to do with Verizon's ULTRA-CRAPPY apps that caused this major delay, like was said before. Once they were fixed, then they need to be tested, so a few weeks of testing because Verizon sucks when it comes to updates...

Are the same crappy apps on the 822 & 928 as what's on the Icon? What makes Icon so unique that neither the 822, 928 or the 930 have that's causing the Denim delay?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So the 930 is getting Denim in many countries now... Remember when we were thinking "hey at least we might get Denim sooner than the others?" :)
Not even that...

Pretty conclusive evidence that whatever flaws the Icon has, that's not what is holding up Denim on Verizon.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm betting they are the same as the HTC One M8 which shipped with 8.1 to begin with. I said that alone was proof that this was a flat out lie. I stand by what I said.

Are the same crappy apps on the 822 & 928 as what's on the Icon? What makes Icon so unique that neither the 822, 928 or the 930 have that's causing the Denim delay?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Pretty conclusive evidence that whatever flaws the Icon has, that's not what is holding up Denim on Verizon.

How is that conclusive? Remember, the 930 and the Icon are NOT identical. The whole CDMA thing is a HUGE difference. I still don't see how people think that is a minor issue. I know that it was said that Verizon had a problem with it's apps running on Cyan. I still want to throw the BS flag on that. You don't tailor the OS to the app, you tailor the app to the OS. Verizon's apps work just fine (considering the quality of course) on WP8.1. Furthermore, apps don't access the firmware directly; they go through the OS for any hardware requests.

Whatever the problem, it seems to be hardware related, specifically CDMA. I remember somebody posting on the old "Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon" thread something about the CDMA radio was pinging the network too often. That is definitely a FIRMWARE problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte