Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
How is that conclusive? Remember, the 930 and the Icon are NOT identical. The whole CDMA thing is a HUGE difference. I still don't see how people think that is a minor issue. I know that it was said that Verizon had a problem with it's apps running on Cyan. I still want to throw the BS flag on that. You don't tailor the OS to the app, you tailor the app to the OS. Verizon's apps work just fine (considering the quality of course) on WP8.1. Furthermore, apps don't access the firmware directly; they go through the OS for any hardware requests.

Whatever the problem, it seems to be hardware related, specifically CDMA. I remember somebody posting on the old "Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon" thread something about the CDMA radio was pinging the network too often. That is definitely a FIRMWARE problem.

You and I have no clue if 1) this was even a problem (hearsay on this forum doesn't count for anything) or 2) if this was related to an app, an OS function, or something else that was simply using whatever network connection is available to send and receive information. You are for some unknown reason so hung up on this idea that CDMA, a well established and very simple technology, is causing problems on this particular phone, and I can't figure out why since there is ZERO evidence for it from anyone anywhere.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm fairly certain that 99% of the CDMA code is part of the OS itself. I actually recall the HTC Arrive being so late to arrive (haha) was becuase of OS support for CDMA technology itself being missing before NODO, which HTC Arrive users got out of the box. If it was just firmware then they wouldn't have had to wait for the OS to add support.

The other 1% of the CDMA code being the keys. They are just simply embedded in the firmware by Verizon. If I'm right then that means that Verizon automatically solves the CDMA problem just by agreeing to review the firmware as the first step would be adding the keys to said firmware.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
hearsay on this forum doesn't count for anything

Don't be so presumptuous, MikeSo. Hearsay on this forum counts for EVERYTHING.

The honest truth is that all of us are just speculating, hoping, and wishing. Some of us are able to wax more eloquently than others. It doesn't mean they have a better idea of what is actually going on. I'm there. I wax pretty eloquently. I'll continue to wax until Verizon treats their Windows Phone customers with a shred of respect.

larry0987

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
What would be hilarious is if we don't, and they release the Win 10 preview, but only make it available for Cyan or higher. At this point, that would not shock me.

Since only Lumia gets cyan and denim I don't think pfd 10 could be held for that unless only Nokia gets pfd and no HTC or Samsung.

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I've had fun here at times to ease the frustration, but it's time I dip my toe in the speculation pool once again. This may show my hand, but it all starts with a question:

Has Verizon ever released a major OS update (not firmware only) within a year of a phone's release?
they put 7.5 out on day one

miketworld929

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Q1 and the wait is on... Icon owner. I'm just gonna accept what I've got which is the beta version with Cortana and not even check for an update till closer to Q2. Happy hunting!

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I've given up on Verizon. I've gone to T-Mobile (I don't really care about LTE), and I'm just hoping that the new phone insider app for Windows 10 pushes firmware updates so I can get denim from them.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Don't be so presumptuous, MikeSo. Hearsay on this forum counts for EVERYTHING.

The honest truth is that all of us are just speculating, hoping, and wishing. Some of us are able to wax more eloquently than others. It doesn't mean they have a better idea of what is actually going on. I'm there. I wax pretty eloquently. I'll continue to wax until Verizon treats their Windows Phone customers with a shred of respect.

Wax on... wax off... wax on... wax off

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I already did, I just want the firmware. I figure, Apple does it with iPhones, and you can flash it on Android, why can't Microsoft do it through them? I figure if enough people mention it in the feedback app (assuming it's in the phone preview), they'll consider it at least.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
they put 7.5 out on day one

IIRC, 7.5 for the Trophy came out in September 2011, while the Trophy came out in May 2011. So that is correct, less than a year. The difference with that situation though is that there were no other new WP's made for Mango that Verizon released, so there was no new device for them to push users toward instead.

I didn't mention that in my original post, but it's something that has been discussed numerous times in this thread and the Cyan thread before it in regards to the M8.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It's Verizon trying to discourage users. Also, CAN Microsoft push firmware updates?

Yes and no. If it is a non-carrier branded phone like the 1520.3 then yes. If is a carrier branded like the Icon or an AT&T or T-Mobile 1520, then no. It's the firmware that controls the radios and the CDMA key is baked into it. If they pushed out firmware to carrier branded phone without prior approval from the carrier, then they would get themselves into trouble with both the carrier and the FCC. It's like that for ALL OEMs (yes that includes Apple).

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Maybe a mysterious vulnerability in Windows 10 will allow for jailbreaking and let the community handle things like Android or Winmo

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
But what is Microsoft does it through the Windows Insider program?

That will probably be OS only, like the Preview for Developers program. It seems that Microsoft is combining two programs into one. Using Windows Insider allows you to also download and install Windows 10 Technical Preview for desktop/laptops.

Like I said previously, firmware updates require carrier approval, the OS doesn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786