Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Anyone remember back when we were guessing on the Cyan thread how many pages of posts we would get to before the release? Are we all too depressed to do that now? I think it hits 75 and closes before Denim.

At 50 now on the PC so I'll guess around 65 before it's released.

SafeSchoolsCzar

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
December 19, 2014 from VZW Support on Twitter: "Great news! The 8.1 update started 12/19 for your Icon but may be 3-4 weeks to receive." We're now in week 5. I figured since we were screwed on Cyan, and since the Icon was one of only three devices specifically mentioned in the Denim announcement that perhaps the Icon would get Denim sooner than others and I was OK with that. Instead, everyone else is getting Denim and we are once again screwed. I have this strange feeling that the Icon might be part of the Windows 10 mobile announcement and they'll ask us to hold tight because we're going straight to 10. Of course, at that point, we'll be pushing the 2 year life cycle of our devices so it'll be pointless.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
December 19, 2014 from VZW Support on Twitter: "Great news! The 8.1 update started 12/19 for your Icon but may be 3-4 weeks to receive." We're now in week 5. I figured since we were screwed on Cyan, and since the Icon was one of only three devices specifically mentioned in the Denim announcement that perhaps the Icon would get Denim sooner than others and I was OK with that. Instead, everyone else is getting Denim and we are once again screwed. I have this strange feeling that the Icon might be part of the Windows 10 mobile announcement and they'll ask us to hold tight because we're going straight to 10. Of course, at that point, we'll be pushing the 2 year life cycle of our devices so it'll be pointless.

No other US provider has released Denim besides Verizon I thought????

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Technically, neither has Verizon. The Denim update on the two phones they did were in name only.

That said, AFAIK, the Icon is only 8.1 ready phone...in the world...that has received no update at all.

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
It is, and I'm so fed up with this bs. I know I've said it before, but I hope they start pushing updates through the app store like the desktop did with 8.1

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It is, and I'm so fed up with this bs. I know I've said it before, but I hope they start pushing updates through the app store like the desktop did with 8.1

Don't count on it... at least not for the firmware side. A desktop/laptop doesn't have built in CDMA, GSM, or LTE radios that connect to a cellular network. That is the fundamental difference. With SoC, those along with the Bluetooth and WiFi radios are integrated on the same chip as the CPU, GPU, and DSP. Qualcomm is responsible for updating the firmware for the Snapdragon 800 and providing that to Microsoft to include in the build sent to Verizon for approval.

tomworthjr

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I wonder how much an Icon without cellular would be able to be sold for by Microsoft? Whenever it gets Denim, I intend to buy a refurbished, no contract Icon just for the camera, Windows Phone interface and integration with OneDrive, and to use on WiFi. It'd be nice if they could have a high megapixel PureView device with top-notch specs, built-in Microsoft ecosystem and Lumia camera software, leave out the cellular guts entirely, and push out the firmware and software updates whenever they dang well pleased without carrier roadblocks. The device would be cheaper, but by how much?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Nope. W10 talkers will ignore Verizon victims completely, as though we all have denim & 8.1 already.
Yup. Like the Fitbit app that came out and was for 8.1 only. MS just pretended that it worked on the Icon. Meanwhile, I saw many comments on FB from "regular people" that had the Icon with 8.0 on it confused about why they couldn't use their Fitbit app.

Oh well, just WAIT a little longer, right, Microsoft?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise