Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It's still being tested. Shouldn't be too much longer.

While this is a reasonable statement, and you ought to be commended for making a reasonable statement, I've gotta point out the timeline here. We've been saying this very sentiment since April 2014 when AT&T's phones got WP8.1/Cyan. We're kinda beyond reasonableness at this point.

sqlchicken

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
While this is a reasonable statement, and you ought to be commended for making a reasonable statement, I've gotta point out the timeline here. We've been saying this very sentiment since April 2014 when AT&T's phones got WP8.1/Cyan. We're kinda beyond reasonableness at this point.

I work for Microsoft and I know people internally who are testing it. I can't say much since what i say could (and shouldn't) be construed as "official", but trust me it really is close.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I work for Microsoft and I know people internally who are testing it. I can't say much since what i say could (and shouldn't) be construed as "official", but trust me it really is close.

Ah, okay. Sorry, should have clicked on your bio. Thanks for the help. Can you give us a time range on "close"?

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
If we take you at your word that you do have a source internally, why should we should be believe it's close if Microsoft is still testing it? Microsoft is not the arbiter of when this will be released to the Icon, VZW is.

We've been strung along since 8.1 was announced. All we've gotten is BS promises. Nothing personal, of course, but this phone has been cursed since its earliest days and until I see an update, I'm calling BS on this, too.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
The O/S is not beta. Cortana is still considered beta and is not available in all regions.

To use the "Hey, Cortana" feature however, the denim firmware is required.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
It says BETA in the top right corner of the Cortana screen

Cortana has evolving features and layouts that may change when it goes final (you see some of those changes in the WP10 pictures of Cortana released) and that is why you see the "beta", that is not referring to the DP

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The O/S is not beta. Cortana is still considered beta and is not available in all regions.

To use the "Hey, Cortana" feature however, the denim firmware is required.

Cortana has evolving features and layouts that may change when it goes final (you see some of those changes in the WP10 pictures of Cortana released) and that is why you see the "beta", that is not referring to the DP

That is for Cortana NOT WP8.1. It ALSO says "beta" on the HTC M8 too. That phone SHIPPED with WP8.1. Cortana is NOT the OS it is a function built into the OS.

It's okay, guys. I think he gets it.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

I know it is unlikely for this to happen, but it may ease the frustration that has lasted for untold weeks and months if I could be helped to understand what was the big holdup. There are many that have been using the PFD for months (not me) and have not had major issues as a whole. Can we expect performance improvements because of this long cycle or will it simply be what is expected?

Being reasonable, this has just been an extremely long process for us as consumers.

tomworthjr

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
From Ed Bott on Twitter this morning:

Ed Bott ‏@edbott 4h4 hours ago
@idguy @thurrott @tomwarren I had a nice chat w/ @joebelfiore last night. Got some background on the Icon issue and expect update soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss