Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if Verizon offered the following choice to its customers, what would people choose?
"Verizon Customer, there are issues between the MS firmware update in Denim and our awesome added-on VZ apps. You can have the Denim upgrade right now...HOWEVER, if you choose to do so, you MUST relinquish all of our awesome added-on VZ apps. Your choice, please. We're waiting..."

Seeing as how I (and I'm gonna guess most of us) have long ago deleted the awesome added-on VZ apps, I'll take that option...

MatsuDano

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Definitely. It's like when a gaming company delays the launch of their new game so they can work out the bugs they found. Gamers hate having to wait longer, but when the game finally launches and it's a gorgeous game with little to no issues, it was SO worth the wait.

[End of rant]

Except developers and publishers typically give a release date. They don't say a game is "coming soon" then just launch it whenever they want. If there is a delay, most of the time they are incredibly transparent about what caused it.

Your red shirt is showing.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Lol.. The first thing I did when I got this phone was uninstall all of Verizon's apps.

I wonder if Verizon offered the following choice to its customers, what would people choose?
"Verizon Customer, there are issues between the MS firmware update in Denim and our awesome added-on VZ apps. You can have the Denim upgrade right now...HOWEVER, if you choose to do so, you MUST relinquish all of our awesome added-on VZ apps. Your choice, please. We're waiting..."

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Seeing as how I (and I'm gonna guess most of us) have long ago deleted the awesome added-on VZ apps, I'll take that option...
Odd story, but the other day I was "shopping" at a local AT&T store and was talking to one of their sales reps about switching. We were then talking about their offerings for Windows phones and this rep told me something very odd, he told me that I would probably miss the VZ navigator app. I was a little confused and asked if I heard him correctly, and he went on to tell me that he really likes that app. He told me his personal phone is from VZW and he uses VZ navigator all the time and thinks it's one of the best navigation apps. I was very confused and just stopped talking and walked out of the store backwards...

All my VZW apps were deleted right after the phone was activated, so am i missing something? has VZnav gotten better?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Odd story, but the other day I was "shopping" at a local AT&T store and was talking to one of their sales reps about switching. We were then talking about their offerings for Windows phones and this rep told me something very odd, he told me that I would probably miss the VZ navigator app. I was a little confused and asked if I heard him correctly, and he went on to tell me that he really likes that app. He told me his personal phone is from VZW and he uses VZ navigator all the time and thinks it's one of the best navigation apps. I was very confused and just stopped talking and walked out of the store backwards...

All my VZW apps were deleted right after the phone was activated, so am i missing something? has VZnav gotten better?

I used VZ Navigator for a couple of years. It is actually pretty decent. At the time it was better than Google Navigator. However, as Google caught up I switched to Google and saved myself like $50-60 dollars a year. Once I moved to Windows Phone I switched to Here+ Drive. It's biggest problem wasn't quality of the app, it is that you have to pay a subscription fee for it. If Verizon offered it for free, I would consider going back to it.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
i though so, but was confused. I'm not trying to say that they are better, but they work very well and are free.

Sorry for going off topic...

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Just slightly off topic...

I bought an Icon off an eBay seller a few weeks ago in anticipation of the Denim release. While waiting, I have set it all up the way I like but I needed a sim for the phone (I currently have a Lumia 822 and the sim is a different size). Yesterday I went into my local Verizon store to get the sim and get the phone activated. The sim and activation was free.

While I was waiting, I was looking around and I saw the HTC m8 for windows. Looked a bit further and found a Lumia 928. Looked around a bit more and found an Icon on display. I'm not sure what it all means but it was nice to see some windows phones on display.

ckc5022

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Just got an icon today. The previous owner must have installed dev preview because the phone says it's running 8.1. Will I have to do anything special when the update comes out? Is it possible to revert to stock if my phone starts getting buggy?

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm waiting patiently for Denim and all, what i want to is what do we have to do/wait for to get the "Hey Cortana" update. Is that a firmware update? or a software update...for phones running Denim only...?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss