Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting patiently for Denim and all, what i want to is what do we have to do/wait for to get the "Hey Cortana" update. Is that a firmware update? or a software update...for phones running Denim only...?

my understanding is the Denim firmware makes use of the passive-voice listening function available on our snapdragon 800 processor and that will enable us to use "Hey Cortana"

Denim firmware & snapdragon 800+ processor and your phone will have access to the Hey Cortana features

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Yes, basically the sd800 series has a smaller companion core like the Tegra, but Qualcomm keeps it locked down. They even threatened legal action to someone who reverse engineered a nexus 5 for passive listening. Nokia made a deal however, and used it as sensorcore. The deal happened after Lumia black came out, so it's locked down on our icons. The cyan update should have activated it, but apparently they were too busy "testing" to push the update, but it'll come with denim, if denim ever comes.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I can't help but feel my phone will see a build of windows 10 before I see denim... Or emerald for that matter. This must be what it feels like to be a Jets fan...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
ALL Windows phones can run Nokia's Here+ Drive regardless of carrier.

Not fully 100% correct. Nokia based phones get access to the global maps. Other devices will only get access to Nokia Here's maps in their local country. All devices can use it, with limitations on Non-Nokia phones... If they want the global features, they have to pay extra.

Unless this has changed ? Not that it will effect everyone (929 here and never have left the US)....

Windows insider says "Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones is coming in February"

Still almost betting that we will get Windows 10 before we get Denim but, I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
It's not fine by me. No way I'm putting 10 on there without first hearing from others and without Denim. Too risky this early in the game.

When we got 8.1 was pretty much done, that is not the case with 10.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It's not fine by me. No way I'm putting 10 on there without first hearing from others and without Denim. Too risky this early in the game.

When we got 8.1 was pretty much done, that is not the case with 10.

We'll if Win10 hits DP hits, not sure I would skip over it but, your right, just because we upgrade to the DP of 10, does not mean we will get the feature set of Denim (4K recording, "Hey Cortana" etc..)

Just wish Verizon would finish their "testing" and release the dam thing. I really hope after this long we are talking a total bug free experience. This is Verizon, I would bet they have 10 people testing it as they don't want to spend any money on something that wont make them more money in the long run (as the phone is no longer available from Verizon...UNLESS they plan on re-releasing it with Denim)

miketworld929

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
did we hit the max number of pages? everything just stopped, or did i miss the notice to take the day off?
I think everyone is just sick of this forum which btw is not going to get any of us what we want. Updates! Till then even though I will be checking here, phone update and phone insider. Good luck to you all.

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm still holding out hope for February, and the employee who accidentally admitted it would come then. Maybe they're trying to coincide with the windows 10 release

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre