Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I question the credibility. This Eric Grover mentioned a "chat script". Chat script = VZW customer service rep = doesn't have the slightest idea as to the testing status of a phone.

Here is the relevant part of the chat (which Eric Grover posted elsewhere on these forums)
VZW Chat said:
Will: Okay, so I did locate something - there's a canned statement, but honestly, I'm not going to give you that, because (correct me if I'm wrong) you don't strike me as the kind of person who wants a copy/paste answer, so here's what I can say:
Will: There were issues identified during testing, resulting in postponing the release. Due to those issues, there isn't a release date that can be given until testing is finished. The idea here is that we want to make sure a working software is released, not anything that's going to cause problems for you.

Translated: "You're obviously too smart to know when someone's shoveling bullcrap on you, so here's a few spadefuls of cow manure."

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
...Chat reps don't know anything.
i don't really like to listen to or believe what they (referring to the sales reps) have to say. But in this case haven't they been pretty much right on every account? I haven't been keeping score, but it seems like every instance has turned out to be true...
This is starting to get old, and I myself think it may be time to let the Icon go. The software seems to run fine, but if VZW keeps finding something that they don't like then they will keep pulling the plug, or keep holding off. Lumia is already dead at VZW, they have no interest in WP, the last 2 WP will slip away quietly without much care as well...

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
yes I am buying fireworks to set off on Friday in celebration of the imminent release of the OTA because there is no way a great and noble company like Verizon could let us down and not send out the update......right?? :winktongue:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely. This is nothing new. Chat reps don't know anything.

i don't really like to listen to or believe what they (referring to the sales reps) have to say. But in this case haven't they been pretty much right on every account? I haven't been keeping score, but it seems like every instance has turned out to be true...
This is starting to get old, and I myself think it may be time to let the Icon go. The software seems to run fine, but if VZW keeps finding something that they don't like then they will keep pulling the plug, or keep holding off. Lumia is already dead at VZW, they have no interest in WP, the last 2 WP will slip away quietly without much care as well...

I'll rephrase my previous statement this way. The online sales reps don't know anything that we don't already know.

I can't think of a time that they've shed genuine light on an update situation. Hindsight is 20/20. And that's the case here. I'm with Ed Bott & Paul Thurrott on this one. Old news.

View attachment 94930
Hopefully this isn't just BS

Just as a follow up to this Ed Bott did tweet the following:

ryger48

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I really can't believe, and don't believe, that Verizon doesn't care at all about the Icon, or windows phones in general. There's a reason that a whole slew of recent "promotees" were just given the Icon as their primary work phone at Verizon. As for the update, honestly, I have it on solid authority that it will be early February, so I wouldn't hold my breath for this Friday. Maybe i'm wrong, but I don't think so

Framling

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
The entire reason for them to not come out and say "January" officially is so they can push it further out later on. Yeah, there's technically still some January left, but "January, unofficially" doesn't carry any weight; they've got no more incentive to push it out this week specifically than they do next week or halfway through March or at the end of May.

Basically, anything unofficial means nothing, and anything official means almost nothing. I'll believe it when it's on my phone. And even then, I might half expect it to turn out to be an elaborate prank and we all get rolled back to Amber or something.

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I really can't believe, and don't believe, that Verizon doesn't care at all about the Icon, or windows phones in general. There's a reason that a whole slew of recent "promotees" were just given the Icon as their primary work phone at Verizon. As for the update, honestly, I have it on solid authority that it will be early February, so I wouldn't hold my breath for this Friday. Maybe i'm wrong, but I don't think so

A lot of people are saying early February. I hope they're right

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm not holding my breath for it ever happening and you'll never convince me that VZW gives a crap about anything except making sure we pay on time. They suck from the top on down and their customer service people are the worst in the business. Condescending and arrogant don't even begin to describe them.

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Oh, and BTW, the last guy who claimed to have inside knowledge at VZW told us Cyan was coming one day last October. AFAIK he hasn't been heard from since.

True, but there are several people now who are saying February. Besides, for people who can't afford a new device, all we can do is hope

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3