Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

GoldyRoger

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I think I missed something. I check for updates every night, and last night there wasn't one, still Black. Disabled developer preview and checked again, nothing. Today, I was reading that article about Extras/Info being updated and prompted the check for updates with my Icon. Nothing! So I went to my Extras/Info page... and Lumia Denim.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So, was I right ? Today is Friday BEFORE the Superbowl, Microsoft can be quoted that they were going to release WIndows 10 (for phone) right after the superbowl.

I checked updates today (disabling the Dev program app) and there is no updates.

Verizon does not release updates over the weekend (I've never seen this but, I could be wrong).

Screwed up as it is, looks like we will be getting Windows 10 preview BEFORE Denim.....Let me guess, there will be an issue with it, so you wont be able to install Denim if you have W10 installed....watch...

Another great perk by being a Verizon wireless customer....F U Verizon...

Slow your roll, mate! Microsoft never said they were going to release the Insider Preview right after the Super Bowl. Just after it. They have said sometime in February. The fact that Belfiore said a few days ago that it was going to be a couple weeks before they release a video showing Windows 10 on WP in action tells me we're probably looking at late February for the W10 Insider Preview.

And, yeah, I'm thinking there's a decent chance that we won't even be able to download W10 without a minimum of Cyan firmware. So hopefully all this jibber-jabber about Verizon finally releasing WP8.1 to the Icon in early-mid February is correct...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
And, yeah, I'm thinking there's a decent chance that we won't even be able to download W10 without a minimum of Cyan firmware. So hopefully all this jibber-jabber about Verizon finally releasing WP8.1 to the Icon in early-mid February is correct...

Man, that would suck, We don't have Denim and we cant get Windows 10 DP because we don't have Denim....

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I think I missed something. I check for updates every night, and last night there wasn't one, still Black. Disabled developer preview and checked again, nothing. Today, I was reading that article about Extras/Info being updated and prompted the check for updates with my Icon. Nothing! So I went to my Extras/Info page... and Lumia Denim.

Who wants tell him?

GoJays

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Unless you have the passive "Hey Cortana" function, it is the dreaded glitch.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Man, that would suck, We don't have Denim and we cant get Windows 10 DP because we don't have Denim....

Yeah... And I don't know what the odds of that happening are. But common sense says it's not a great idea to run technical preview software, intended to be run with firmware E, with firmware B.

Thurott had this to say:

GoldyRoger

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys, that's what I figured. Wasn't too sure the glitch had been occurring with the Icon, now I know. Cortana certainly isn't listening and the camera still takes three minutes to load. bummer

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
the Black firmware on our Icons has a build date of 4/23/2014, that seems like of recipe for disaster trying to load WP10 Preview on top of that imho

we may not even get the choice to install since we don't have Cyan/Denim firmware, WP 10 seems to be building on features introduced in Cyan and it should be interesting to see if other phones like the M8 and ATIV SE will have access to the WP 10 preview also

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Updates from Belfiore on a timeline:

IcyPwnage

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Every time I take a gander at the Software Availability Page for the Nokia phones, I get my heart skips a beat because I see the 928 listed as having Denim since it is listed under Verizon. Then I remember that I have an Icon (which of course, as of writing this, says Black still)...

brian8163

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
"Lumia icon people asking what I meant by "early 2015": The first part of the year. In my mind that means jan/feb or so. Less likely March."

On my calendar March comes after February. I guess the "or so" part means sometime after April, since it's "less likely March" Who the hell knows! At this point I'm like DaveinCT and Grafixguy, there's nothing going to get this taste out of my mouth. A full press confessional on prime-time tv by Joe B and Verizon might help, but I doubt it.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
On my calendar March comes after February. I guess the "or so" part means sometime after April, since it's "less likely March"

I don't know how you got to April from Joe's statement... Here i'll break it down.

When Joe said "Early 2015" he was thinking January - February. But worst case scenario, March was also a possibility. But that's unlikely.

That's all he said.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
That's the optimistic view. That's the view I held in September.

Now? I take anything like this to be the same as saying "Go away for six weeks while we keep you in the dark some more."

Framling

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Updates from Belfiore on a timeline:

"Lumia icon people asking what I meant by "early 2015": The first part of the year. In my mind that means jan/feb or so. Less likely March."

"Know that Vzw & MS are actively, daily working on getting it done. The test process has unpredictability so we can't say a firm end date"

I gotta say, "we're totally working on it, promise" might have mollified me somewhat back in October. Now, at the tail end of January? Without at least some kind of hint at what the problem is or why it's taking so long to resolve, it just feels like more of the same.

With all the hollow assurances that this delay has just been because Verizon wants to ensure a quality experience, this update had better be flawless when it drops.

Last edited:

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I thought nothing would get the bad taste out of my mouth either...I'd harass VZ on twitter daily about getting Cyan, and sometimes rather rudely. I still think they ended up blocking me. Once Denim arrived for my 822 and I saw that it was coming for the Icon, I got very zen about the whole thing. Perhaps it's because the Icon is so new to me (only a few weeks), but I feel like I'm much more patient and understanding waiting for the Icon to get its update.

It's coming....soon..... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans