Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Okay.. Well someone better do something. Either update or allow us to swap to a new smartphone. Was just told by two banks that they will no longer support apps for version 8.0 very soon. I will be furious when that happens!

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Okay.. Well someone better do something. Either update or allow us to swap to a new smartphone. Was just told by two banks that they will no longer support apps for version 8.0 very soon. I will be furious when that happens!
Install the developer preview and you should be fine...

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Install the developer preview and you should be fine...

Nonsense! Most of us already have done that...many months ago. Without the firmware some very important features don't work.

As for the Banks, Chase and BofA, they're pulling support completely for Windows Phone so it has nothing to do with this.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Nonsense! Most of us already have done that...many months ago. Without the firmware some very important features don't work.

As for the Banks, Chase and BofA, they're pulling support completely for Windows Phone so it has nothing to do with this.
"Okay.. Well someone better do something. Either update or allow us to swap to a new smartphone. Was just told by two banks that they will no longer support apps for version 8.0 very soon. I will be furious when that happens!"

If the banks that they are referring too are not just pulling the plug on Windows phone and if the poster of this comment had not installed DP 8.1, then my reply applies.

jbclemons

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Icon DP8.1, still showing "Black" in extras+info, and I have Windows Insider installed, which was updated today. Before the update I'd get a screen asking for Microsoft domain account (don't have an MS domain acct), now it opens with a single option: Get preview builds. When I select that I get 2 options: "Microsoft account" and "Domain account". When I try to connect using the "Microsoft account" option, I'm told to confirm I have registered with the Windows Insider Program, and that my "phone meets the system requirements".

I've verified my Windows Insider acct, so I'd say I don't meet system requirements. I think this means I need something newer than "Black" firmware, since my OS is latest from DP.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Icon DP8.1, still showing "Black" in extras+info, and I have Windows Insider installed, which was updated today. Before the update I'd get a screen asking for Microsoft domain account (don't have an MS domain acct), now it opens with a single option: Get preview builds. When I select that I get 2 options: "Microsoft account" and "Domain account". When I try to connect using the "Microsoft account" option, I'm told to confirm I have registered with the Windows Insider Program, and that my "phone meets the system requirements".

I've verified my Windows Insider acct, so I'd say I don't meet system requirements. I think this means I need something newer than "Black" firmware, since my OS is latest from DP.

Have you not read like....any of the articles/forum posts on this website? if not, welcome! if so.../facepalm

The insider app is being rolled out in perpetration for Windows Phone 10...which has not yet been released.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes that may be, but what was posted was again,
"Okay.. Well someone better do something. Either update or allow us to swap to a new smartphone. Was just told by two banks that they will no longer support apps for version 8.0 very soon. I will be furious when that happens!"

So we are not knowing if they were referring to the Chase and Bank of America app deal or any other bank app.

That being said, this wouldn't be the only time that apps would not work on WP8.0, there are others that you need to have WP8.1 installed for the apps to work. Not needing the firmware update, just WP8.1...

jbclemons

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've read quite a few, actually. Just mentioning that Windows Insider app was updated today (for me, at least - I already had it installed). And trying to point out that Icon running DP 8.1 with Black firmware apparently isn't good enough - probably need Denim.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've read quite a few, actually. Just mentioning that Windows Insider app was updated today (for me, at least - I already had it installed). And trying to point out that Icon running DP 8.1 with Black firmware apparently isn't good enough - probably need Denim.

WP Preview is not out yet, we don't have definite confirmation yet we need Denim to run the Preview but signs seem to be pointing in that direction

Last edited:

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
This thread is so depressing... I would absolutely recommend the DP 8.1 solution to anyone with and Icon. I dont have wifi problems, the OS is just about 100x better, and the battery is no worse for me than before - it was simply undersized from the beginning, given its small capacity and the power-hungry specs of the display and processor.

That said, Miracast, Bluetooth 4.0LE and sensorcore activation all require new firmware. So does the new Camera app. So all these new things are making me anticipate Denim, and the moving targets are the classic Charlie Brown and the football situation. Arrrrgh! Telling me all these thing are coming and failing to deliver them is distracting me from the fact that once I got 8.1 the Icon became the best phone I have ever owned and I love it.

Curse you Verizon!

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Oh, FYI, this is an article on battery efficiency from Lumia black with DP vs Cyan. There is a huge difference
http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/20019_Windows_Phone_81_officialLumia.php

Last edited:

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I can only hope that Microsoft has learnt the lesson here over the life of Windows 8/8.1 - that they must build in some kind of mechanism in the Windows 10 Preview program which enables Microsoft to push out firmware updates themselves- thus, totally bypassing the carriers. The software recovery tool allows us to go back to stock if we wish (for claiming warranty etc)

laramr

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Which begs a question: What is everyone going to do with the extra free time not spent checking in here and pushing that damn Update Phone button?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte