Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
There's a difference between being last (something I don't object to, either) and being jerked around and ignored completely (something I am quite angry about).

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This looks so bad on verizon. Nobody will ever want to buy a verizon flagship again. This marsh they announce the new flag i hope. Microsoft better think twice before choosing to have flag ships on verizon over sprint or tmobile. I have sprinT and it better be getting a flagship with 20mp camera!!! Lumia 940 cant wait lol i hope its real.

But really who is going to buy another windows phone from verizon again. With sprint you get unlimeted for 60$. My gf has the 2gb plan with verizon and she can't stream nothing or play videos. While yes Sprint 3g sucks but I have 4g almost every where! I stream 1 hour videos and download updates all over network and never have to turn off data or worry. For only 60$ I don't understand how atat and Verizon get away with just 2gb for 70$.... rip off! But its worth for an icon if u ask me. That damn camera is amazing.

I get 2GB for $66 incl all taxes and fees, which isn't half bad. But it really bugs me that it's not possible to go much higher without paying an arm and a leg. I feel like the "smart" part of the "smart phone" is severely crippled by data caps. But they have good coverage... still, I will have to see what AT&T and the others offer when I'm getting my next phone. I'd prefer not to be on Verizon ever again if I can avoid it. Most likely I'll try and figure out a way to get a flagship phone to work on T-Mobile. Really hope Microsoft comes out with something other than an "exclusive" again.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The whole thing is a joke.. can't imagine if this kind of thing happens on iPhone..

The update process for the iPhone is the essentially the same with one difference. Apple updates the OS/firmware, sends the updates to the carriers for testing and approval (yes, Apple still requires the carrier's approval). Once ALL of the carriers are happy with the build, they give Apple a thumbs up. Apple then announces it is pushing out an update and when to expect the update. It then pushes the update out on the announced date.

The KEY difference is that Apple doesn't announce an update until AFTER the update is approved by the carriers. There are a lot of things that happen in the background that we don't see.

chipeast

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
That is not true, IPhones do not require approval to update nor can the carrier hold back or block an update to an IPhone. An example is the IOS 6.1 update in which several carriers simply asked their users to wait before updating, since they could not stop the update. There is an in depth article about it.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
That is not true, IPhones do not require approval to update nor can the carrier hold back or block an update to an IPhone. An example is the IOS 6.1 update in which several carriers simply asked their users to wait before updating, since they could not stop the update. There is an in depth article about it.
Source?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Yes, they do! Apple does NOT have ANY control over what does or does not get allowed on the carriers' networks. Apple DOES require carrier approval. There are FCC rules that govern this and the carriers own their respective networks, NOT Apple. Like I said previously, Apple gets ALL of the carriers' approvals BEFORE it announces the update. Because Apple is both the OS AND the OEM for its devices, the process is much more streamlined. Apple sends its OS/firmware updates months in advance to allow the carriers to test to ensure there are no major flaws and/or security holes with enough time to allow for any fixes to be made. Since Apple's own internal testing program is fairly robust (though not perfect), the carriers testing is usually smoother.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hate to say it but if Verizon releases another flagship I'm on it. I've been through this same thing with Android phones and yeah it sucks but oh well. Plus with my luck as soon as I switch carriers Verizon will release the update and the carrier I switch will be dragging their feet.

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Hate to say it but if Verizon releases another flagship I'm on it. I've been through this same thing with Android phones and yeah it sucks but oh well. Plus with my luck as soon as I switch carriers Verizon will release the update and the carrier I switch will be dragging their feet.

I'll probably do the same, I am going to try and keep my phone for the two years even if they release a new phone and even though I am on the edge program. I really don't want to let the phone go since I haven't had any issues that's worth trading the phone over.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm no longer on contract with Verizon. I got my Icon at a huge discount in like new condition from eBay. I wont upgrade unless the new flagship phone blows the Icon away. Its going to have to be a significant improvement for me to give up my unlimited data plan

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Well we're not really raging anymore... More like exasperated simmering.

Isn't it like a 12 step program ? We've already gone through hope, denial, begging and I think we are in depression stage now :(

WTF Verizon, Will they pay for my shrink when I actually, FINALLY get Denim after all this stress waiting for a freaking update that should of been here well over 6 months ago(talking Cyan for a second) ????

I'm no longer on contract with Verizon. I got my Icon at a huge discount in like new condition from eBay. I wont upgrade unless the new flagship phone blows the Icon away. Its going to have to be a significant improvement for me to give up my unlimited data plan

Yea, have not been in a contract with Verizon in a VERY long time(going on 7-8 years now)....They can take my unlimited LTE data over my dead body..

MS needs to release a phone, that is for Verizon and BLOWS away the ICON, not really sure how they will pull that off when they seem to be only pushing low end phones now. Even if they release a Flagship model, what is the odds that Verizon will carry it after this mess ?? In my eyes, very slim.

Even then, I will buy it off contract or wait till I can get one used.

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This looks so bad on verizon. Nobody will ever want to buy a verizon flagship again. This marsh they announce the new flag i hope. Microsoft better think twice before choosing to have flag ships on verizon over sprint or tmobile. I have sprinT and it better be getting a flagship with 20mp camera!!! Lumia 940 cant wait lol i hope its real.

But really who is going to buy another windows phone from verizon again. With sprint you get unlimeted for 60$. My gf has the 2gb plan with verizon and she can't stream nothing or play videos. While yes Sprint 3g sucks but I have 4g almost every where! I stream 1 hour videos and download updates all over network and never have to turn off data or worry. For only 60$ I don't understand how atat and Verizon get away with just 2gb for 70$.... rip off! But its worth for an icon if u ask me. That damn camera is amazing.

I get what you are saying, but the reality is that we make up such a small portion of Verizon's customer base compared to the average iPhone and android user I'm pretty sure we could all walk away from big red and have very minimal impact on their overall revenue. I really don't think they would care.

iconuser165

May 5, 2014
Visit site
THIS IS MY DEAL

I love the Icon because of the 20MP camera. I am not a photographer but the ICON makes me better at taking pictures than I could have ever imagined.
I went from no grandchildren to three in less than two years (I have two successful adult children who have started their own families). I wanted a camera that would allow Grampa to take good pictures even in the back row;).
The only reason I want Denim is for the camera improvements. It's hard to catch a two year old and younger baby with the capture rate that exists on the original Icon with Black--they move too fast!
All I want from the Icon is a faster capture speed for my sweet little grandchildren. I don't care about Cortana. The rest of my family have iphones and I have never seen any of them talking to Siri--it's a gimmick.
If Microsoft could give me the camera improvements of Denim without the super-critical requirements of Verizon, I would happily run this windows phone into the ground. As long as I can get replacement batteries for the Icon from Microsoft and the updated camera--I am a happy Grampa;).

fanbpunx

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Some of you really need to relax, I'm sure there's a reason for all this. It's like all my customers suddenly own windows phones and this thread is my hell.

Patience, please, for your sanity and the sanity of the poor salesman you bought it from who you are now undoubtedly making his life hell!

fanbpunx

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site

And yes they absolutely do. Laws and regulations do not work around iPhones.

Well except labor laws.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion