Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

angeredsmile

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I am sad to say I went to the dark side last Saturday and picked up a 6 plus. I am missing my icon quite a bit but the bugs minus the update were to much. I may go for the windows m8 as I am not sure how well I like the Apple ecosystem yet. Battery life is awesome and that's a plus

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Also, I've seen a lot of international threads complaining a lot of bugs with the 930 with denim, maybe that's where we're stuck?

I believe both have flawed hardware, this is where we're stuck - but the Icon to a greater extent. The fact that Microsoft retired the phone shortly after Verizon just proves that theory. I am sure neither company will admit it, however, and ultimately there will be no compensation for buying the flawed device. It is really unfortunate.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Some of you really need to relax, I'm sure there's a reason for all this. It's like all my customers suddenly own windows phones and this thread is my hell.

Patience, please, for your sanity and the sanity of the poor salesman you bought it from who you are now undoubtedly making his life hell!

Patience? Are you freakin' kidding? I was preaching patience in October.

Now? Forget it! We've been lied to and mislead since July.

GoJays

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Patience? Are you freakin' kidding? I was preaching patience in October.

Now? Forget it! We've been lied to and mislead since July.

I'm not looking forward to March. We may tear each other apart if Denim hasn't dropped by then.

Any chance on an early weekday release or does Verizon only release software on Fridays?

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I believe both have flawed hardware, this is where we're stuck - but the Icon to a greater extent. The fact that Microsoft retired the phone shortly after Verizon just proves that theory. I am sure neither company will admit it, however, and ultimately there will be no compensation for buying the flawed device. It is really unfortunate.

"flawed hardware" you must be right, I am sure any problems have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that our phones are running on a firmware with a build date of 4/23/2014 here in 02/2015

Trololo Song

Last edited:

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
THIS IS MY DEAL
I don't care about Cortana. The rest of my family have iphones and I have never seen any of them talking to Siri--it's a gimmick.
If Microsoft could give me the camera improvements of Denim without the super-critical requirements of Verizon, I would happily run this windows phone into the ground. As long as I can get replacement batteries for the Icon from Microsoft and the updated camera--I am a happy Grampa;).

Gramps, I'm not a kid but I will tell you that I do not find Cortana to be a gimmick. And in fact when 10 comes out it will be an impressive digital assistant.
I agree with you about the camera, it is sweet.
The battery comment I don't know about though. I'm thinking you carry a quick charge power pack to recharge.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Cortana is awesome. I saw it as a gimmick at first too, but now I use it all the time for searches. Once you get used to it, it just feels weird to type :)

I agree that the camera slowness is a bigger issue though, but going forward any phone that doesn't have good voice interaction will be doomed.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
"flawed hardware" you must be right, I am sure any problems have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that our phones are running on a firmware with a build date of 4/23/2014 here in 02/2015

Why would Verizon AND Microsoft both retire a flagship phone after 8 months? I would think there has to be something wrong with the device. Everyone complained about weak WiFi, laggy glance-less screen, battery drain. There could be other issues CDMA-specific.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Why would Verizon AND Microsoft both retire a flagship phone after 8 months? I would think there has to be something wrong with the device. Everyone complained about weak WiFi, laggy glance-less screen, battery drain. There could be other issues CDMA-specific.

But see, I have an Icon. Bought at the very start of June. I don't have WiFi issues, a laggy screen or battery drain issues (outside of select applications). I have had quirks here and there, but on a day-by-day basis, the phone has performed above expectations. So when you use a term like "flawed hardware", it would have to be a problem that every device suffers, not just select ones. So no, it's not flawed hardware. /discussion

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
You're missing the point.

WHY is this phone still on year old firmware?

Verizon

this is not breaking news VZ has a long history of delaying updates

imho VZ's complete disinterest in the WP platform because it's not selling or a strained relationship with MS or whatever reasons has lead to this monumental delay

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Again...missing the point.

I get that VZW is always a laggard with updates. That's something I can live with.

This phone is different for some reason and I don't think it's all on VZW. If it was political, the 928 and 822 wouldn't have been updated either.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Verizon

this is not breaking news VZ has a long history of delaying updates

imho VZ's complete disinterest in the WP platform because it's not selling or a strained relationship with MS or whatever reasons has lead to this monumental delay

So why did the 928 and 822 receive timely updates, aside from Cyan? (and those are 2-yr old devices, still getting Denim among the first)

There has got to be something wrong with the Icon. If it is Verizon at fault (not doubting they are at least partially to blame for a delay in updates, always has been that way), why did MS stop selling it in their stores?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99