Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
If I knew it was going to take this long I would've done dp. But since we are so close (probably far away also) I am not going to bother.

WP Newbie

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
On the other hand, I like a carrier where my phone works where ever I go. Verizon has the best coverage for LTE hands down, even AT&T is not close when it comes to the locations where Verizon has LTE coverage. I can get LTE at home, over friends, at work, and about 95% of the places that I go, or need to go. My brother has a iPhone 6 on AT&T (he is interested in WP but, not flagship device and the 1520 is too big), and many times in the same car with him, he drops calls, when I have perfect coverage.

There really is NOT a perfect carrier. Also there is the fact that people will b.i.t.c.h. at anything, even if there is not a valid reason, it's just human nature. It's one of those things, you cant do anything about it, so you have no choice but to deal with it...

For the record, I am not under any contract with Verizon and have not been for over 7 years now (I actually think it's closer to 10 years)....

Have you considered U.S. Cellular? They don't offer Windows phones AFAIK, but their coverage is nearly identical to Verizon and their customer service is top notch. The only reason I'm not still with them is because the service here is only 3G (using Verizon's towers) and they said I'd probably be unhappy with my data speeds. As soon as they put up a tower nearby though, Verizon can suck it.

Last edited:

WP Newbie

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Did anyone have problems with losing data when they did the DP? I'm reading that in the TOS, so I'm just wondering if it's something I should be worried about. Especially since it can't be undone...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone have problems with losing data when they did the DP? I'm reading that in the TOS, so I'm just wondering if it's something I should be worried about. Especially since it can't be undone...

I would bet this would be the WRONG thread for those questions but, I have not heard of any cases of data failure but, you never know. It could happen but, I would say over all pretty rare.

Have you considered U.S. Cellular? They don't offer Windows phones AFAIK, but their coverage is nearly identical to Verizon and their customer service is top notch. The only reason I'm not still with them is because the service here is only 3G (using Verizon's towers) and they said I'd probably be unhappy with my data speeds. As soon as they put up a tower nearby though, Verizon can suck it.

Nope, I still have Unlimited data with Verizon....They can take that over my dead body....Unlimited LTE is pretty awesome, I use about 6-10gb a month and don't worry about watching data, EVER.

It's the one thing I said "good" about Verizon, LTE pretty much everywhere....

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Before you install the 8.1DP, make sure you back up your files(photos, videos, and documents) to your computer. You can then transfer everything back, once 8.1 is installed.

TheAngryDragon

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think there may be some truth to there being a hardware error.
There was a post on how the O2 rollout had "hello Cortana" feature disabled on the Nokia 930 Denim rollout.

I don't have enough posts to link so google "snapdragon 800 voice recognition pocketnow" and you'll find a news article on how this also is affecting Android users.

I can pretty much put these 2 posts together and come to the conclusion that there is an issue with the Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset that provides the "hey cortana" active listening feature.

The 2nd news brief in the comments someone mentioned something about passive listening needing more mircrophones for noise cancellation.
Dimitar Gospodinov • a year ago
the Moto X has five (I think) microphones on it and they are not for noise cancellation.....you are forgeting that the CPU Core is not the only hardware requited for this feature to work.

Dimitar Gospodinov • a year ago
It's just three mics... One for nose cancelation, one for voice and one that's always listening... Creepy but cool as ice.

Lucas Replicant Jason Booth • 10 months ago
And the Lumia 1520 has 4 microphones and a SnapDragon 800 so theorically it should work too.

Can someone confirm that the Icon has 1 microphone and the rest of the phones that support "hey cortana" have multiple microphones to provide noise cancellation?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I think there may be some truth to there being a hardware error.
There was a post on how the O2 rollout had "hello Cortana" feature disabled on the Nokia 930 Denim rollout.

I don't have enough posts to link so google "snapdragon 800 voice recognition pocketnow" and you'll find a news article on how this also is affecting Android users.

I can pretty much put these 2 posts together and come to the conclusion that there is an issue with the Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset that provides the "hey cortana" active listening feature.

The 2nd news brief in the comments someone mentioned something about passive listening needing more mircrophones for noise cancellation.

Can someone confirm that the Icon has 1 microphone and the rest of the phones that support "hey cortana" have multiple microphones to provide noise cancellation?

To capture better, more realistic audio, Nokia has included four high-performance omni-directional microphones in the Nokia Lumia 930 (= ICON) Two at the front and two at the back.

With the help of digital signal processing, and the perfect position of the mics, four omni-directional microphones are digitally combined into two directional microphones.

Directional stereo recording captures the sound in front of the camera and attenuates the sounds coming from the sides and the back to create a clear audio output.

http://lumiaconversations.microsoft.com/2014/04/29/nokia-rich-recording-lumia-930/

nikholaspappas

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the Band works with the Icon. Fitbit (and MANY other accessories) do not.

#1878 Report Post

It works, yes. but it does not use all of the sensorcore functions built in to the phone. Just like my Charging plate works. It charges the phone, but I cannot connect it and use all of the advanced features.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I checked the specs page and it says 4, I only count 3 on my phone.

Does anyone know of any other S800 with active listening enabled? It looks like the 2014 MotoX went with a Snapdragon 801?

Mouthpiece and rear speaker may act as microphones as well as the one above the camera and left of the speaker.

TheAngryDragon

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It may be an issue with the actual chipset, not the supporting hardware. I've been furiously googling.

To see a list of phones that have this chipset go to qualcom's website and paste this in after the com (stupid post count link restriction).
/snapdragon/devices/all?type=Smartphone&processor=800

The newest Android release (Lollipop) supports Active Listening as does the Qualcom 800 processor that all these phones have. Yet, not a single one has the feature enabled. The Android camp says its due to a licensing issue, but I think it may be due to a flaw in the SOC.

After the O2 rollout fiasco, I think Microsoft may revise their software to disable "hello cortana" and give it to us like that. If this is what caused the delay it might not be Verizon's fault after all.

On the O2 rollout article posted on this site O2 made a claim that they didn't test enough and trusted MS that everything would work. Then Microsoft provided them with a patched version without the "Hello Cortana" feature.

Maybe that's why Verizon rejected it? Because they actually did test it? If it's as simple as patching out that feature and they've already done that on the 930, then maybe we are only a few weeks out and might see this before the end of the month.

I doubt anyone will actually admit this issue, but I'll be following it closely from the MS side and the Android side. It would explain why everyone is being very hush hush on it because if it's proven that Qualcomm did in fact send a chip out claiming it supported a feature, but that part of the chipset was broken, there could be a lawsuit involved.

I'm sure the OEM's and carriers value Qualcomm as a partner enough to keep this under wraps. What is Verizon going to do, sue Qualcomm and potentially have their only chip supplier tell them to go f*** themselves?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb