Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Never was a fan of preview for developers. Those who are, certainly are in the minority relative to the Windows Phone user base. I'd rather have a stable, tested version. On this phone, it is unfortunately Windows Phone 8.0

Why? 8.1 DP has been rock solid for me. It is an entirely different experience with the phone than 8.0

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
So the Windows 10 preview will not come with its own software? and it will use say Black for example... Like currently I'm on the developers preview of 8.1 and have most all of the features but using Black software. Is this True?

Software /= firmware.

Windows 10 is its own software.

Amber, Black, Cyan, and Denim are all firmware.

To be blunt, if you need to ask these questions after reading these forums for a few weeks, you should not install the Tech Preview on your phone, and certainly not on your main phone.

miketworld929

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Software /= firmware.

Windows 10 is its own software.

Amber, Black, Cyan, and Denim are all firmware.

To be blunt, if you need to ask these questions after reading these forums for a few weeks, you should not install the Tech Preview on your phone, and certainly not on your main phone.

To be blunt, I ask what I want to ask.

Kyle Kontney

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I am sorry, I have broken down. Today, I purchased an iPhone 6. I am sick with it. I feel I have cheated on my beloved wife, Karrina. I hate everything Apple. I am a Microsoft guy since 1983, I really am to the core. But my god... Get your act together Microsoft! No Apps, no firmware control, sub-par (lower than premium) phones, different models, different capabilities... There should be only 1 phone, Microsoft Phone... WIth all the Applications that Apple and Androids have. What a mess.

OK, I have been since HTC Trophy on Verizon. I am sad that 3 years later, Icon has nothing new to offer. The Bluetooth fails on the icons in my BMW (2006), but 928 was OK, but the 928 has died. Get your act together Microsoft. Force, sell, love the carriers or do whatever you need to win. You need to be a player. 4% market share... Really!

Everywhere you go "For Android" and "For Apple" F%#^ all of this! Microsoft deserves the resect. Really, still no snapchat client for Windows Phone 8? I don't even use snapchat, but it still infuriates me!

I am sorry Microsoft (Karrina), I have been unfaithful... for now... Come to me later, with all the apps and rescue me from the Apple hell!

johnzot

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I have to admit, I'm about to breakdown, as well .... I "updated" to the DP - and now the phone burns up when doing just about anything, and requires that - 100% of the time - I'm on battery saver mode so I can just get through most of the day. (otherwise, 10-20% loss per hour)

If MS would just allow me to re-install apps that were "unpublished" (they ARE mine!) - I could either 1) revert back to 8.0 or at least 2) do a hard reset. But, now I'm stuck, because I need Google Voice - with the only working app is/was MetroTalk.

MS truly needs some strategic leadership - Joe B and team seem overwhelmed.
1) Why not have a small army of "randy huhn" types, and provide a FREE service to the top 50 qualifying organizations that MS users (UsersVoice) request an app for?
2) Just admit the ICON is flawed, and provide an early upgrade avenue for those affected? We understand - it's an F'd piece of hardware (of course, however, this would require there is an upgrade to be available).

Ok.. my apologies for the rant ... but, knowing the iPhone has better MS software than WPs gets old quickly. I'm fully invested in the MS Ecosystem - Win10 Tech Preview, Surface Pro, Dynamics CRM, and this darn WP ICON (that was said earlier) doesn't even work with my 2006 BMW.

Here's to hoping that Denim/Win10 or whatever comes - will fix my issue.

rich1lloyd

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
*sigh*

Getting quite frustrating here too, I got an Icon in September (mint condition for $250 which helps me be more tolerant, I'd be so pissed if I'd got one on release or at full price) after reading about the improvements of 8.1 over 8.0. There are a few annoyances (WiFi, resuming, shutter lag, lack of Miracast are annoyances, broken BTLE is ridiculous) but I figured hey, even lolVerizon will be able to get Cyan out before too long....

Fast-forward to January, picked up a BTLE heart monitor in the New Year sales and thought I'd try reverting to 8.0 - not only is it a massive backwards step OSwise but the app (adidas micoach) fails to keep a GPS lock due to rubbish background task management in 8.0 so rendering it completely useless. I now have a HRM sitting there reminding me every day how useless it is without Cyan/Denim on my phone, while my Razr M from mid-2012 happily runs Kitkat with fully functional BTLE lol

*rant over*

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Dear Verizon/ Microsoft,
My birthday is next week. All I want for my birthday is to see that my Icon has updated to Denim. I'm really not asking for much since you already promised it would be released around this same timeframe. The only thing better than getting Denim for my birthday would be getting it as an early birthday gift. So get on it Verizon/Microsoft, my birthday only comes around once a year.

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I also pushed my Nokia Icon aside this weekend for an HTC One 2. I am not to fond of the HTC and Andriod, but it is better than an iphone. And PFD was not an option as I got sick of loosing wifi when streaming music. Never would leave my desk at work, and I would loose wifi every 15 minutes or so. Will give the HTC a whirl, but I can tell I already am not to fond of it.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
This thread simply demonstrates why Microsoft is facing an uphill battle making windows Phone relevant. Anyone who is on page 78 of the denim thread is a loyal Microsoft customer. Overly loyal, perhaps, but clearly the folks that Microsoft needs to have in their camp. This is the most diehard band of folks left on the platform. We invested in the flagship phone, the Icon, and expected that we would be treated as such. Granted, Windows Phone is a niche product at the moment, but so is a Land Rover. Land Rovers will probably never reach a dominant market share, but they know how to treat their customers. If you are buying a high-end Range Rover, you are moved to the front of the line.

Now before folks get on me about the flaws in this analogy, I do understand that Verizon adds another layer of complexity. That said, Verizon is a major US carrier, and for where I live their coverage is vastly superior to ATT and Sprint. It's simply not an option to ignore that fact.

That said, the majority of defections from this loyal group are not jumping carriers, they are jumping to iOS and Android. When someone posts that they just switched to an HTC product, of all things, you know morale is at a major low.

This phone has an excellent build quality and at the time of its release had all the product specs to be a true flagship phone. What it lacks is manufacturer support - to include twisting the carrier's arm about updates, or if impossible, being forthright in communicating where the delays lie.

On 8.1, this is the best phone I have ever owned. On 8.0, the user experience is completely lacking. Unfortunately, the official carrier version of the Icon is still 8.0. What's more, without Cyan, which we never got, we don't have Miracast support or Bluetooth LE. Without denim, we don't have hey Cortana or the new camera app.

Most of all, though, we don't have any response from Microsoft. I don't believe there is anything wrong with this phone (other than a seriously undersized battery, which was a design compromise and which I knew was too small from reading the product specs before I purchased my Icon). Still, folks here have nothing but silence to speculate upon. Be real, Microsoft. Acknowledge that your most loyal customers have been left in the dark and illuminate us as to what is causing a 10-month delay in promised firmware updates. Even to say that the Cyan update should not have been announced until it was ready would have been something. But remember, the best windows phone sales force you have is on this thread. We are the people that other people come to and ask about phones. Not one of us can recommend a windows phone to anyone right now. But we want to. We really want to believe that denim will right all wrongs and get us caught up and that Verizon will start promoting WP again. Please don't wait until this thread ends with a page of folks posting that they got the iPhone 6 or the HTC, especially so they could get access to better versions of Office than we can get on WP. The current state of affairs is dire.

If you've already written off the US market for WP so be it - just please give us the courtesy of telling us.

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Sixth week of 2015... Commence!

58978640.jpg

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
FWIW:

According to some tweets by Ed Bott (whom I trust to have accurate info) the biggest issue is a "Bug would have caused some phones to consume data in background w/o warning."

He did remark that the length of the delays is due to Verizon bureaucracy.

exleper

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Since the 8.1 upgrade, my 928 battery life isn't so good. The CPU seems to struggle on many app and web pages too. I was going to pick up an icon at the MS store in the mall to use until the new flagship comes out and was surprised to see that it didn't have 8.1.
Too bad the M8 has no wireless charging and a crappy camera(compared to my current).

What to do...

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Since the 8.1 upgrade, my 928 battery life isn't so good. The CPU seems to struggle on many app and web pages too. I was going to pick up an icon at the MS store in the mall to use until the new flagship comes out and was surprised to see that it didn't have 8.1.
Too bad the M8 has no wireless charging and a crappy camera(compared to my current).

What to do...

You know, the m8 isn't all that bad. I got two of them for the wife and daughter. My wife struggles with it... but then again she struggles with anything electronic. The camera does a decent job and I have to admit I am surprised. Its better than I thought seeing it first hand. However, that said, YES the wireless charging is a deal breaker for me and my daughter. She complains about it especially when I got her the JBL speaker a couple years ago. My wife doesn't know what she's missing coming from an iPhone.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
FWIW:

According to some tweets by Ed Bott (whom I trust to have accurate info) the biggest issue is a "Bug would have caused some phones to consume data in background w/o warning."

He did remark that the length of the delays is due to Verizon bureaucracy.

Sweet, sweet, unlimited data, how I love thee ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky