Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

Sandman2749

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
The bluetooth mic in my truck is garbage so I use my phone on speaker. Not only is it loud enough for me to hear but the noise cancelling must work extremely well as the other end said it sounded great.

Mirage85

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

I think a lot of people fail to realize that this isn't the same as the PFD. There's a good chance it'll be extremely buggy, and you might not find many apps that will work on it until they officially release windows 10 and the PFD for it. So in the mean time, we're not really missing out but not being included... unless missing out on bugs makes you sad.

Eric Hamilton

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
So, we were told that Denim will be available in early 2015 and that the definition, more or less, of early 2015 is the end of February. Any one not agree with that? Ok, so, if there is no Denim released by the 28th of February, 2015 what do you think we will see from Microsoft? Will Jo release another "tweet"? Will anyone say anything? We already know that Verizon won't say anything, because they don't care.

I just keep thinking that there will be no more updates and there won't be any information coming from MS or Verizon, in other words, no one will say anything about it all and just ignore the entire subject as best they can. All of ICON owners will be left out in the cold. Just the luck of the draw I guess.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So, we were told that Denim will be available in early 2015 and that the definition, more or less, of early 2015 is the end of February. Any one not agree with that? Ok, so, if there is no Denim released by the 28th of February, 2015 what do you think we will see from Microsoft? Will Jo release another "tweet"? Will anyone say anything? We already know that Verizon won't say anything, because they don't care.

I just keep thinking that there will be no more updates and there won't be any information coming from MS or Verizon, in other words, no one will say anything about it all and just ignore the entire subject as best they can. All of ICON owners will be left out in the cold. Just the luck of the draw I guess.

Go back about a dozen pages or so, this was already discussed great detail. If had to be a betting man, by the end of this month, but, I still think we are going to see Windows 10 before we get Denim

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Icon is my main driver. No way I'd put W10 on it anytime soon. Heck, I haven't even used the PfD. I'll get to enjoy 8.1 for the first time ... so exciting!

Dude... You have been missing out on so much. Windows Phone 8.1 is an entirely different level of function from Windows Phone 8. I cannot imagine myself keeping the Icon on WP8 if I had the option of going to a developer preview. It's why i'm so irritated with Verizon not releasing even Cyan to their consumers. It's such an outstanding upgrade. It's basically Windows Phone 9. The "bugs" encountered are minuscule compared to the upside of running the developer preview.

Joe did mention that there's a chance it'll come out in March. Joe, speaking for Microsoft, made an outright public statement about the release of WP8.1/Denim. If they wanted to ignore the entire subject as best they could, they wouldn't have made a public statement. So please quit with the FUD.

Ben Schmidt1

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Talked to a lowbie on Verizon, who not surprisingly, didn't know anything. She also said the updates don't have anything to do with Vzn. Only the manufacturer has control over update releases. Waste of a phone call.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
OT sort of but can anyone here navigate to page 48 of this thread in their computer web browser? For some reason, I can go to all other pages, except page 48 (in my settings, the thread has 49 pages currently). When I click on it, or even type it directly into the address field, it takes me to page 43. Odd. Even going to page 47 directly and then clicking one page forward goes to page 43!
Anyone else has this happening to them? Not a big deal, but I'm curious.

Does clicking this link take you to page 48, or page 43: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/316510-48.htm

zweible

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
WARNING: PURE SPECULATION AHEAD

I believe we will get an announcement sometime this month. It is going to tell us that we have been working hard trying to work out the bugs in this update, and frankly, have been unable to do so. In light of this we are declaring the Icon officially at end of life for the device. No further updates are being tested or planned. Your device is as operational as the 1st day you bought it and neither Microsoft nor Verizon has any contractual obligation to go any further . Thank you for being a Nokia and VZW customer. We look forward to serving you in the future.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
WARNING: PURE SPECULATION AHEAD

I believe we will get an announcement sometime this month. It is going to tell us that we have been working hard trying to work out the bugs in this update, and frankly, have been unable to do so. In light of this we are declaring the Icon officially at end of life for the device. No further updates are being tested or planned. Your device is as operational as the 1st day you bought it and neither Microsoft nor Verizon has any contractual obligation to go any further . Thank you for being a Nokia and VZW customer. We look forward to serving you in the future.

I don't believe this will happen. I do believe that Microsoft expects to get this resolved, but even if there's some reason why the update never gets delivered, I don't see Verizon choosing to make any statement when their silence is only helping migrate their customer base to iPhones and Android devices they prefer.

tomworthjr

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Here's a suggestion, if Verizon would like to proactively head off this thread of 1978 (and counting) posts' worth of angst-driven FUD fury.
Every morning, 5am Eastern, without fail, tweet the following:
"Today will not be the day that Denim on Icon is released. We are still attempting to make it work. We apologize. We still expect it to be this month and will issue an update if that time frame changes."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720