Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
WARNING: PURE SPECULATION AHEAD

I believe we will get an announcement sometime this month. It is going to tell us that we have been working hard trying to work out the bugs in this update, and frankly, have been unable to do so. In light of this we are declaring the Icon officially at end of life for the device. No further updates are being tested or planned. Your device is as operational as the 1st day you bought it and neither Microsoft nor Verizon has any contractual obligation to go any further . Thank you for being a Nokia and VZW customer. We look forward to serving you in the future.

I've seen it happen before with other phones so I wouldn't say it won't happen. But I have to believe that with the news we have heard about the update coming soon that they have some inkling that they will be able to squash whatever bugs this hardware flawed device has and release a stable update. But there's always the chance they might not be able to. Only time will tell.

rich1lloyd

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
With the recent Ed Bott tweets about Icon bugs and Verizon's bureaucracy I'm pretty sure it's the start of some PR to adjust expectations after Belfiore's tweet about Denim ETA being likely Jan/Feb - I wouldn't count on getting Denim in February and suspect it's more likely going to be mid-March or so.

Happy to be proved wrong but can't see any other reason for MS to be so 'forthcoming' about the Denim/Icon issues.

Gerardo 1

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I am almost considering going to iPhone.. I have been a loyal windows user for all my cell phone life. Started with windows in 2005... But the lack of apps and then with this update stuff I am just tired of all of it. I love my icon but will be thinking about iPhone in the future.. I guess MS is ok with people like me to think this way..

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
WARNING: PURE SPECULATION AHEAD

I believe we will get an announcement sometime this month. It is going to tell us that we have been working hard trying to work out the bugs in this update, and frankly, have been unable to do so. In light of this we are declaring the Icon officially at end of life for the device. No further updates are being tested or planned. Your device is as operational as the 1st day you bought it and neither Microsoft nor Verizon has any contractual obligation to go any further . Thank you for being a Nokia and VZW customer. We look forward to serving you in the future.
Verizon has no reason at all to say anything.

Youssef

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
i dont work for at&t but if your on verizon and your contract is up go to at&t. 50bucks 3 gigs unlimted cal and text. I hate verizon amd cant wait to leavE for a windows 10 flagship on att or sprint :)

This is embarrising for both verizon and microsoft.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
i dont work for at&t but if your on verizon and your contract is up go to at&t. 50bucks 3 gigs unlimted cal and text. I hate verizon amd cant wait to leavE for a windows 10 flagship on att or sprint :)

I'll be there in 11 days when my contract is up. :cool:

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site

Not a bad deal. I find since I dumped UL data over a year ago I hardly use it anymore. I would go for this, but for the lacking coverage factor where I'd need service.

How's the coverage compare where you need service? What about leaving a covered area for road trips or something. Your ok with it?
I'll be there in 11 days when my contract is up. :cool:

Interesting the M8 is getting it,(10) yes it's the preliminary version and most likely very buggy but still for all the naysayers who said HTC is crap for updating. Glad to see MS came thru and my old M8 is in the game. :)

Last edited:

anon(8567512)

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
While this is not 8.1 related I would mention to those who are going to jump ship to something else out of frustration, there is something that should not be overlooked. If you use the Icon as a phone, you will hear the best sound in your ear of any cell phone you've likely ever used. At least mine is that way.

I have no issues with basic call quality. But when I use my jawbone hands free unit, I can't get the volume loud enough to hear well. This hurts because I am in the car a lot, so hands free is my primary means of talking. The same hands free unit on my now retired Galaxy S3 (grrr I hated that phone) had excellent sound and volume. Not sure if this is related to the phone or the specific unit, but wish I could do something about it.

iconuser165

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Well, I have tinnitus (from working in factories and playing in a "Top Forty" bar band). I understand that I have hearing loss. I am constantly pressing my earpiece deeper into my ear. Most times it works, but sometimes I have to shut the earpiece off and put the phone to my ear. Just saying....

I bought the Icon to give me great pictures of my grandchildren. I didn't expect it to improve my hearing;).

Vincent Pellicone

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Both my fiance and I have icons. I'm holding on strong, but she isn't. She is actively looking for a new phone. The damage was done with this phone whether it comes out next week, tomorrow or next year. So many have jumped ship

WP Newbie

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Both my fiance and I have icons. I'm holding on strong, but she isn't. She is actively looking for a new phone. The damage was done with this phone whether it comes out next week, tomorrow or next year. So many have jumped ship

I agree. IMHO it looks bad for the whole OS. 10 was going to be a game changer, but how many were burned enough to not come back? Not only that, but tell their friends/coworkers/etc. not to bother?

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Well, I have tinnitus (from working in factories and playing in a "Top Forty" bar band). I understand that I have hearing loss. I am constantly pressing my earpiece deeper into my ear. Most times it works, but sometimes I have to shut the earpiece off and put the phone to my ear.;).

I'm in the same boat with my hearing, I had the Plantronics Voyager Pro headset, it works well for us that have problems with background noise (all my cars have Bluetooth integration now, no need for a headset) Better yet are the over the ear noise cancelling headsets/headphones.

Sandman2749

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I decided to give the Dev Preview a shot while we wait. I am on Telus up here in Canada and for some reason I was losing signal at my house. (LTE elsewhere). Seems to have gotten worse after install but I had the same thing on 8.0 and it seemed to settle out after a bit. Hoping the same happens with 8.1 prev.

qa_ninja

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I am almost considering going to iPhone.. I have been a loyal windows user for all my cell phone life. Started with windows in 2005... But the lack of apps and then with this update stuff I am just tired of all of it. I love my icon but will be thinking about iPhone in the future.. I guess MS is ok with people like me to think this way..

I just have to point out. It's not always Microsoft. You can't compare Apple's control over the iPhone's updates vs. Windows. Sadly Microsoft did not have enough clout to come in like Apple does for updates. As a result the carriers in the USA have a crap ton of power on the go/no-go/I'll do it later release. And the sad result is this slowass update. Microsoft has done all it can to push the OS updates, but unfortunately, the carriers are the gatekeepers for the firmware updates :(.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb