Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

Why on Earth would anyone do that?

I still have my 928, keep it on ATT prepaid with no data. Use it daily (along with my Icon on VZW). Compared to the Icon:

928 Good
Battery life is better
Camera indoors, with or without flash, is better
Camera exceptionally better with people indoors using the flash
Speaker is far louder
Speed is comparable -- really don't notice a difference
Better feel in hand -- "just right".

929 Good
Screen on Icon is better -- though I've seen another 928 with a better screen, and obviously there are complaints about some 929/930 screens, so...
Screen size is a plus for viewing, reading, editing.
Camera is much better outside, sunrise to sunset, oversampling + large originals are great options.

The Ugly
Both Feather cases for the Icon cracked.
I'm sticking to WP8 and the beautiful Photo Hub, hearting songs in the Music app, and shooing kids off my lawn.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
a nice 930/Icon review to give you some idea of what to expect whenever Verizon gets off its *** and finally decides to release Denim for us Icon users

Awesome article. The only down side of that article is that it makes me want the Denim update even more. I'm sure once it lands it will seem like it was well worth the wait but waiting and waiting isn't fun at all.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Awesome article. The only down side of that article is that it makes me want the Denim update even more. I'm sure once it lands it will seem like it was well worth the wait but waiting and waiting isn't fun at all.

I am an active follower of Paul Thurrott and he typically has been "quite well connected within Microsoft" ... Paul "posted" back around Thanksgiving that "Microsoft - with Windows Phone 10 - will "reportedly" MOVE to a direct OTA "update" approach = BYPASS the carriers !!!

Don't know IF this is still true ... but Paul said that Microsoft is "fed up" with all of the delays!!!

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
That's not necessarily great news. The fact is, WP 8.1 without Denim is not ideal. It's likely to be worse with Win 10.

Sorry to disagree ...I'll take this as we are fully engaged with Windows 10 Tec Previews on 4 PC "2-in-1 convertibles" and LOVE IT !! It may take Microsoft a "few months" to get the "Windows 10 Phone version" in shape ... but, SCREW Verizon ... perhaps Microsoft IS GETTING some BALLS!!!!

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
That's not necessarily great news. The fact is, WP 8.1 without Denim is not ideal. It's likely to be worse with Win 10.

I'm not so sure about that. If I were MS, I'd focus on making WP10 work well on black and denim. Let's face it, if denim comes, and I believe it will, eventually, it will be the last update. We are a fairly large group, and I'd focus on making it run well on phones who have been abandoned by the carrier, like the icon

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
This "latest statement by Microsoft" jives with reports today that Microsoft "is trying to go RTM with Windows 10 in JUNE - to try an tap into the BACK to SCHOOL UPGRADE CYCLE !!!

mdb17

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't think denim would have anything to do with it, I mean the HTC One doesn't have denim and its going to get W10 TP2

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't think denim would have anything to do with it, I mean the HTC One doesn't have denim and its going to get W10 TP2

Denim is Lumia Firmware. HTC has other firmware updates for their phones that accompany software updates. So while the HTC One doesn't have denim, it does have other HTC firmware that works with the software.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to disagree ...I'll take this as we are fully engaged with Windows 10 Tec Previews on 4 PC "2-in-1 convertibles" and LOVE IT !! It may take Microsoft a "few months" to get the "Windows 10 Phone version" in shape ... but, SCREW Verizon ... perhaps Microsoft IS GETTING some BALLS!!!!

This a fully agree with.
As stated in the article linked above.
Something I have been saying for a long time now.

This effectively gives *Windows Phone Smart Devices users another route for leapfrogging carrier restrictions, and we hope this marks a trend where carriers have as much control over our *Windows Phone Smart Devices as they have over our Windows PCs.

*Edited by me a bit.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
To be clear...I think this will be a good thing for the future, but the way the Icon is designed it is way too dependent on firmware. There's no way MSFT is going to be able to push firmware to the Icon without VZW's approval.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This a fully agree with.
As stated in the article linked above.
Something I have been saying for a long time now.

*Edited by me a bit.

That's all well and good. What you will have is a non-final version of WP10 (it's Tech Preview not Developers Preview; huge difference) running on Black firmware.

Developers Preview is the final release that is sent to carriers and developers. Tech Preview is not a final release and is NOT ready for release to the carriers and developers. You're essentially becoming testers for Microsoft.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
and we hope this marks a trend where carriers have as much control over our *Windows Phone Smart Devices as they have over our Windows PCs.

In an ideal world, that'd be great. And I'm sure in the future it'll be a real possibility. Particularly as the FCC continues to weigh in on network & band types. Smartphones need to be recognized and treated as what they truly are, pocket pc's. They're not simply phones anymore. I think unlocked universal devices will be the norm soon in the US. That said, I don't think this is nearly as big a step towards that end as you think it is.

Appreciate your post, man. But just so you know, I find it really challenging to understand your posts with all of the quotation marks, exclamation points, and capitalizations.

Last edited:

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
All I want is for Microsoft to find some loophole to push firmware updates without the carrier. Whether that is through a "security vulnerability" combined with a mysterious leak, or a preview system, I don't care. I just want it done, if not, I'm going back to Android where that is possible. I'm sick and tired of the carriers screwing is over like this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss