Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
All I want is for Microsoft to find some loophole to push firmware updates without the carrier. Whether that is through a "security vulnerability" combined with a mysterious leak, or a preview system, I don't care. I just want it done, if not, I'm going back to Android where that is possible. I'm sick and tired of the carriers screwing is over like this.

Even the billion Androids out there in the market have to wait for the Carrier to approve an update. Windows Phone, as far as updates, is experiencing nothing different then Android users experience. Even Apple has to wait for the Carrier to approve, they just give the impression that they have control because it is released when it is announced. But that is easy to do when you don't announce anything till you know that all Carriers have approved. Microsoft has never used that strategy, since for them it seems impossible for them to keep a secret for that long. I use an Android phone for work and I am still waiting for it to be updated to 5.0, although it was released last year, and there is no date set for that either.

Last edited:

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
That's all well and good. What you will have is a non-final version of WP10 (it's Tech Preview not Developers Preview; huge difference) running on Black firmware.

Developers Preview is the final release that is sent to carriers and developers. Tech Preview is not a final release and is NOT ready for release to the carriers and developers. You're essentially becoming testers for Microsoft.

Actually not entirely true. The Tech Preview is just the beginning. I am sure they will release Dev Preview as well
Which just as with 8.1 is a final release.
And thankfully they did that, otherwise we would all still be stuck on a really OLD OS version for absolutely no reason whatsoever
except the fact that a carrier wants to hold it's customers hostage to buying a new device, and dictating WHICH device that actually is.
this favoritism and fascism is bull****. VZW are demonstrably guilty.

Trust me, the first Service Provider to open and start selling all devices available and not holding updates back for no reason,
I will be the first to jump to them.

As for Firmware, Denim (if we ever do get it) will be the final firmware anyway for Icon.

I personally have no issues with my Pocket Device that Happens to be able to make Phone Calls (PDHPC).
I just want the additional features as promised.

I am sure there will be bugs in Win10 Tech Preview, no doubt about it. I will still try it till I can't use it.
If that makes me a tester for MS for free, so be it, it's really not for nothing,
When you consider the price of the OS itself if you had to actually pay for it.
think about that one for a while.

In an ideal world, that'd be great. And I'm sure in the future it'll be a real possibility. Particularly as the FCC continues to weigh in on network & band types. Smartphones need to be recognized and treated as what they truly are, pocket pc's. They're not simply phones anymore. I think unlocked universal devices will be the norm soon in the US. That said, I don't think this is nearly as big a step towards that end as you think it is.

Appreciate your post, man. But just so you know, I find it really challenging to understand your posts with all of the quotation marks, exclamation points, and capitalizations.

I think this is going to happen a lot sooner than you think.

People need to do more in this area themselves. but they won't cause they are too complacent in where they are now.

Danbradford7

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Even the billion Androids out there in the market have to wait for the Carrier to approve an update. Windows Phone, as far as updates, is experiencing nothing different then Android users experience. Even Apple has to wait for the Carrier to approve, they just give the impression that they have control because it is released when it is announced. But that is easy to do when you don't announce anything till you know that all Carriers have approved. Microsoft has never used that strategy, since for them it seems impossible for them to keep a secret for that long. I use an Android phone for work and I am still waiting for it to be updated to 5.0, although it was released last year, and there is no date set for that either.

True, but the community can port software long after the carrier abandons it. For the perfect example, see the cockroach phone, HTC HD2. It has a lollipop build still in progress!

johnzot

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
It feels like Christmas Eve, waiting for Santa to arrive .... (ok, too dramatic?). I just hope there will be no issues upgrading from the DP software. I am definitely looking forward to pairing up my Fitbit ... finally!

Post if you received the update.

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Congrats, you guys! this thread has been full of suspense, drama and nail biting rumors. it kept me engaged while i was contemplating an icon. Enjoy your overdue update!

kloar

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Finally!!! While it's not here yet, this is by far the clearest evidence we've seen since I've been following this and the Cyan thread in mid July.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05