Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Woohoo, all finished with the update! I don't have a lot of music and media on my phone (use the cloud for most) so migration didn't take long. The whole thing took 30 minutes from start of download to finish of installation. Smooth.

Hope the battery doesn't suffer too much. Seems it's always under severe strain the first day or so after an update when backrgound processes seem to be going on.

Now I'm going to go and check the WiFi at the exact same spot I tried it earler with the Lumia 521 and 8.0 and 8.1 on the Icon. See if it's better. :)

And there is MUCH rejoicing!

tumblr_ldv8jzmyhn1qc7j5lo1_500.gif

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Mine is using battery like crazy right now though. Even though I have it charging on a USB port from a PC, it actually is dropping in battery...

Most bestest of all: BT 4.0! My Fitbit actually syncs with their app!

shakermaker41

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
All the camera updates are wonderful. I doubt I'll ever use Hey Cortana, but it's neat regardless. I was hoping after Denim my Icon would finally be able to see my 5ghz network but still out of luck on that. Must just be a lemon. But considering I bought this used off eBay I'll live with it until WM10

orion0211

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I want to thank everyone for the entertainment during this wait. I got my Icon the day before VZW retired it and held out for PFD until mid-Jan. The update is installing now and just want to pass on that although this is my first post, I'm glad and I could come here and read all the thoughts posted that I was feeling. Glad the wait is over.

cslawren

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
All the camera updates are wonderful. I doubt I'll ever use Hey Cortana, but it's neat regardless. I was hoping after Denim my Icon would finally be able to see my 5ghz network but still out of luck on that. Must just be a lemon. But considering I bought this used off eBay I'll live with it until WM10

Mine sees 5ghz just fine. What frequency/channel is your 5ghz network running on?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Granted this is a little bit different, but they did this with landlines in the way of making it illegal for phone companies to charge you a rental fee for a phone and not allowing any other phones to work. Again, this is a little different given the technology then vs now, but this is the direction we're headed, it's just taking longer than we'd all like.

Hmmm.. I understand your point, but using the old landline phones as an example is not very good. Since, they never outlawed the practice. What the US Government did was determine Ma Bell was a monopoly and broke it up into "Baby Bells."

Once you had the phone line installed and activated, you could connect ANY landline phone afterwards, and even add phones onto the same line. The phone companies had no way of determining how many phones were connected to one line.

Cell phone networks are an entirely different beast.

jbclemons

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Mine is using battery like crazy right now though. Even though I have it charging on a USB port from a PC, it actually is dropping in battery...

Most bestest of all: BT 4.0! My Fitbit actually syncs with their app!

I also noticed it was losing battery level while plugged into PC USB port. Mine was always slow to charge that way anyway, and is charging fine on my Qi pad.

I'm having issues waking the phone with the camera button, though. It's spotty at best, and I've verified it's enabled in the camera settings.

shakermaker41

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Mine sees 5ghz just fine. What frequency/channel is your 5ghz network running on?

Well my router has both of those set to "Auto", so I guess it just decides. Randomly, like once a month, I will all of a sudden see the 5Ghz network as an option but within an hour or so it's gone and I'm back on my 2.4Ghz. It's really not a huge deal and I can certainly live with it...I just can't use WiFi when we have the baby monitor on :)

miopea

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone else missing the "Hey Cortana" settings app? I cannot seem to find how to enable that function. (I went from P4D to OTA upgrade.)

puckrazy1

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
So I disabled the Dev Preview earlier and it wouldn't find any updates. I enabled it again and it found the update right away. Weird.

Downloading now in STL btw...if this is region based. Not sure.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, since I went from stock 8.0 to this, I have a question for you long time PfDer's: what should I get excited about and set up first? My app update list is long and my phone is hawt!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro