Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Solved, but why Microsoft I ask as Cobalt Blue should be "Cobalt Blue ?

OK, there are quite a few "apps" to change the "tile colors" - I used an App called "Custom tile colors" which is free and picked "primary blue = RGB of 0 - 0 -255 - under Theme "choose photo" which the app creates - and BAM! Surprised that Microsoft did NOT include this as a "feature"

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Here is a screenshot - yes, seems to be "volume up and power now" - but, not "cobalt blue"?

View attachment 96585

BTW ... the calendar background - in the attachment below- is "is the old cobalt blue from Lumia Black" = quite a difference !

Lumia Denim NOT cobalt blue.jpg

Here is the "difference" - the NEW Lumia Denim "Cobalt" blue - screenshot above - and RGB 0-0-255 BLUE" below !!!

New 0-0-255 Blue versus Lumia Denim so-called Cobalt blue.jpg

Last edited:

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone noticed the reception changing with Denim? I had never seen my phone roam ever (in fact I had no idea that the little triangle in the notification bar was the symbol for roaming, since I had never seen it before). I know its only a few hours since the update went live, but I would say at least half the day my phone has had that symbol now. Anyone else notice that at all? system-callout-order-icons_InvariantCulture_Default.png

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
OK, I am a happy camper:

1) Smooth as SILK OTA upgrade from Black to Denim - about 20 minutes total - huge bonus was, my entire start screen tile layout was 100% preserved

2) At least 1 extra bar Verizon 4G LTE in Silicon Valley = from 1-2 to 2-3 at the office (but, frankly in the entire time I have owned the Icon - Sept 2014 - I have never had a bad W-Fi connection issue

3) More features including "a number of apps that required" 8.1

4) WiDi - Miracast = Lumia screen to an HDTV = beautiful

5) And ... I have NOT even gotten into the camera updates yet = next few days

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I just realized that the blacks aren't black anymore, it's a bit reddish mostly near the bottom. It was pure black before.

EDIT: The whole screen has a very red/brown tint when on high brightness. Hmm...

You and me both good sir, until you mentioned it I didn't notice, went into a dark room and set the brightness to high on a black image and I got a huge light bleed. Seems the issue was common on the 930, a firmware update and the display app were the fix, but in the past others had to hard reset and not update the display app to not have this hue/bleed issue... I wonder if we got the bug they were plagued with :(

Looks like others are having the same issue on r/windowsphone :(

Gah need figure out if LSRT users aren't having the issue.

Last edited:

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I did the update and it went without a hitch.

One update I just discovered is that you can now select the screen timeout to be LONGER than 5 minutes now...
ABOUT TIME! I hated how the screen would only get 5 minutes MAX even if I had it plugged in the car.
Now it has longer intervals as well as NEVER for an option.

I set it to 15 minutes. And when I don't want the screen to stay on I already have the habit to tap the power button to put it to sleep anyway when I am done with it.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
yes, this. pretty sure nokia motion has been retired.

also, it does offer a step counter tile. if you do a deep pin from within the app

I couldn't find a way to make the live tile transparent, which is key to that part of my start screen real estate. I resorted to transparency tiles, which offers a tile for Health + Fitness. Unfortunately, these tiles are static, so they don't display info. I will keep playing around, hopefully there is a better solution.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
After wearing denim for the last 15 hours, a few more observations:

• 1:clock digital clock is my nighttime bedside clock. Since Denim upgrade, the clock no longer remains on past timeout. I need to see if the settings changed, but I woke up not knowing what time it was.
  • Hey Cortana is nice and generally works well (probably my favorite feature and I didn't expect it to be), but I went to show my daughter the feature and it failed repeatedly. I suspect Battery saver turns this feature off (down to 10% battery life at the time).
  • I'm happy that Project My Screen now works. I found it's a quick shortcut to run xbox Music through my stereo if no one is watching TV.
  • FM Radio finally works. There are times when that feature will come in handy. Seems to use up the battery though. Not sure why because battery saver didn't show a lot of use, but I went form 50% to 10% quickly and wasn't doing much else.
  • New camera app is great in low light, with a caveat: no backlighting of any kind. That seems to throw its algorithm off.
  • In reading the comments, it's pretty obvious who was running the PFD and who had stayed back on 8.0. The comments folks have about having a brand new phone are exactly how I felt when I loaded up 8.1 for the first time myself. It was like "YES!"
  • If you were running 8.1 previously, denim seems more like a refinement, which makes sense, since it's predominantly firmware.
  • Best feature I will probably never use: SMS select messages. How cool is it that you can now select and delete multiple SMS messages easily? It's a nice refinement, but I have never been one to clean out my SMS. For those that do, this will make life a lot easier.

Obsidial

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Despite the fact that I returned my Icon around Christmas time on my EDGE agreement, I'm SOOO happy for you guys !!!!

Sounds like Denim is an awesome upgrade and makes the Icon new again.

I actually 'EDGE'd UP' to a Home Phone Connect thingy (my wife wanted a home phone...go figure) and they actually let me do what amounted to a complete downgrade (HPC is only $20/month unlimited calling). So I no longer have a personal phone...relying on my work provided iPhone for everything sucks, but I'm going to keep monitoring the WP, or rather W10 world and get a W10 phone probably later this year...it just more than likely WON'T be on Verizon...they've really shown their colors on this whole situation, regardless of the outcome. Hopefully you guys aren't waiting for W10 for another year!!!

Best of luck guys...I'm a bit envious now...the Icon was my favorite phone of all time, and it is sorely missed :cry:

Cheers.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else have VZW push their apps out to the phone. I deleted all of them when I got the phone and today I found Verizon Tones and VZ Navigator back on it.

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone having issues with Bluetooth? I can't seem to connect to anything. Not my Mazda3 not even my laptop. It's like the device never gets a signal to ask for a security code and the process on each just stops and fails. I did get it to connect to my Mazda last night, but then after getting out and back in the car it didn't connect automatically.
I have already flashed my device once since last night.. so I don't think it is my device.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Just another comment about the WiFi. When I tested the Icon at the spot in my bedroom where it previously was literally just a few feet outside of decent WiFi strength, whereas my Lumia 521 had good signal there, it now worked without problems. I always had to shut off WiFi on the Icon right there and use cellular data instead, because the WiFi signal was too weak. This morning, it worked just fine.
I really didn't expect the WiFi issue to be fixed in Denim, but I'm so glad it is. :)

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone having issues with Bluetooth? I can't seem to connect to anything. Not my Mazda3 not even my laptop. It's like the device never gets a signal to ask for a security code and the process on each just stops and fails. I did get it to connect to my Mazda last night, but then after getting out and back in the car it didn't connect automatically.
I have already flashed my device once since last night.. so I don't think it is my device.

No issues at all. It actually connects quicker to the BT in the car (an external BT receiver connected to the aux input) than it did previously, and it has no problems being connected to both that and my Fitbit at the same time. It also connects to my TDK A33 speaker at home even quicker than before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium