Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
And how often are you looking at black pictures in a dark room with the brightness cranked up?

Its not just at that setting and your missing the point, the hue affects all brightness levels, the grays have a tint to them at low brightness, but are fine at high brightness. It messes with the whole appearance of the phone, plus the phone should not be emitting that much light what should be essentially a black screen.. But I guess one can only hope for an update to fix the issue. There are others who tried hard reset, LSRT, soft resets and everything else and still the same thing.

I think it has link to the 930 issue...

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Not to mention the hit to battery life since all the pixels light up. I actually noticed it on low brightness on the start screen at night, because I was able to see where the screen meets the bezel when it was usually hard to tell before.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
So for me, after nearly two days, Denim means five new capabilities: Miracast, Bluetooth 4.0LE, Hey Cortana, Lumia Camera 5, SMS messages multiple select.

Battery life is at best equal to before, which requires me to always have a charger or battery handy. Phone still shows resuming from time to time, but that's simply an 8.1 issue and is no way like the Android lag. It's livable.

All in all, I am happy.

ninny1176

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
24+ hours with my wife's Icon w/Denim and email accounts are all banged up. Can't get them to stop sync'ing to delete/re-add them - no matter what (airplane mode, password changes, etc.).
I did recreate accounts with different names, but the old ones still sync; eating up the battery. No choice but to hard reset...

NoogMan9605

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Quick question regarding "training" Cortana. When training, it's kind of "hit and miss" on her hearing me. Sometimes I have to repeat "hey Cortana" 10 times before she'll actually process it for that try. I've tried with the phone up close, further away, etc. It's just sorta hit and miss (even in a quiet room). I do have her trained as best I can, and it functions fairly well, I just wonder why it doesn't seem to register over and over while training.

I've gotta say....I've had the Icon since the day it was released. This is my 3rd windows phone (Trophy, 928, Icon). By far, I'm happier than I've ever been with a phone at this point with DENIM. The battery life is appearing to get better than with DP.....maybe it'll just take a few cycles to get it up to snuff again. Hope the rest of you are feeling the same about Denim!!!

EDIT: Just tried re-training in a different spot. It worked without a hitch this time except for the last training sample. Took about 5 times to get it right. Don't know what is really different in my office compared to the couch at home....who knows!
Craig

Last edited:

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Wow what a difference Denim has made. No more spotty WIFI and my blue tooth headset no longer breaks up when talking. The display seems more vivid than before. And man are there a ton of new settings to experiment with. Those who have said it were right. It feels like I have a brand new Icon. The wait was WAY too long, but worth it for the update to Denim.

jrtintpa

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
So, two days into 8.1/Denim and I'm extremely satisfied. It actually feels like I have a modern full feature phone now. Before it always felt like it could do so much more but was just limited by 8.0. Cortana and Hey Cortana are very useful and intuitive. Small changes like updating the font in text message are a nice improvement also. Before the UI as a whole just felt very flat, but no more.

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm cool with it though. I used Lumia Camera almost exclusively anyway. So no loss for me.

Yeah, I'm liking Lumia Camera better now as well. Since my tile for Classic Camera carried over in backup, I took the opportunity to put all my photo apps into a live folder saving it in case I want it. That works.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Way to take it to the extreme to downplay this issue.

I'm not trying to downplay anything. I just asked a simple question, that nobody has actually answered.

So AGAIN. How often do you look at a black photo in a dark room with the brightness turned all the way up? Looking at a black photo in a dark room with the brightness turned all the way up is a bit extreme too...don't you think?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm liking Lumia Camera better now as well. Since my tile for Classic Camera carried over in backup, I took the opportunity to put all my photo apps into a live folder saving it in case I want it. That works.

My daughter and I are going on a father-daughter reef walk tomorrow night so I get to really test it out. :)

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
How often do you look at a black photo in a dark room with the brightness turned all the way up? Looking at a black photo in a dark room with the brightness turned all the way up is a bit extreme too...don't you think?

I'm sure Microsoft noticed that it was happening during testing. And they decided it's not a big deal. Because it really isn't...

High brightness hurts my eyes anyway... The auto brightness function on Lumias is probably one of the best brightness controls i've seen on any piece of technology. Especially in the sun. It's perfect.

Mirage85

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not trying to downplay anything. I just asked a simple question, that nobody has actually answered.

So AGAIN. How often do you look at a black photo in a dark room with the brightness turned all the way up? Looking at a black photo in a dark room with the brightness turned all the way up is a bit extreme too...don't you think?

I've never understood how someone doesn't have enough real world problems to worry about instead of focusing so much time and energy on things like this that are a non-issue.

Don't get me wrong, when I spend the money on something (in this case I got mine free) I expect it to work correctly, so I understand how you may be upset, but some of this nitpicking really seems ridiculous to me.

So far, my Icon and my wife's both seem to be much improved. I couldn't be happier, and she couldn't care less, haha.

DCJohnston

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone else notice a massive drop in quality of the Xbox Music app? Slow, loading after loading, awful UI change and the removal of the music sub-store within the Windows Store makes it too much of a nuisance to use now. I think the music was a big step backwards. And am I the only one who is still upset with Verizon about the entire ordeal? I mean 90+ pages of angry consumers and then they release the update and it seems we all just forget about it. Its nice that they finally delivered it to us, but personally I cannot forgive them for the delay and unwillingness to help me with my windows phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon