Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else notice a massive drop in quality of the Xbox Music app? Slow, loading after loading, awful UI change and the removal of the music sub-store within the Windows Store makes it too much of a nuisance to use now. I think the music was a big step backwards. And am I the only one who is still upset with Verizon about the entire ordeal? I mean 90+ pages of angry consumers and then they release the update and it seems we all just forget about it. Its nice that they finally delivered it to us, but personally I cannot forgive them for the delay and unwillingness to help me with my windows phone.

it's not you, the app is a steaming turd now. and it used to be worse. makes me really not like wp much anymore.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
it's not you, the app is a steaming turd now. and it used to be worse. makes me really not like wp much anymore.

What is wrong with it now? After the latest update I have no issues at all. I should say I am an Xbox Music subscriber and all the music I have on the phone is from there.

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
maybe it's not bad for streaming, but for playing local files it's still atrociously slow, and bad at picking up metadata. it's just not a pleasant experience, especially compared to the older software.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, I had to hard reset for mine(no choice, it would not install), it blows because I lost some game safes (F U MS for screwing up Application Backup). After I flashed it, I also did a hard reset and didn't restore anything. This is to clean up any possible BS from a last install.

So far it seems good, too bad I missed the Holidays with 4K video recording (something I was hoping for), Camera is faster, Web pages come to the full page when set as full page, all my little issues with the DP seem to be worked out.

Today, I asked myself, besides Hey Cortana and 4K recording and a little faster camera what did I actually get here ? 95% of the features in Denim we had in the DP, Oh, well...all that waiting and most of it I already had...

And I thought we would get lucky and the day after Windows 10 hits....and I see Not for all phones and I am like, Yep, I am a Verizon customer with an ICON so that means we wont get it.....and I was right... :(

Truth be told, I am glad we finally got it, was getting sick of all the rumors ever other day on here, Better late than never...

WP Newbie

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
And I thought we would get lucky and the day after Windows 10 hits....and I see Not for all phones and I am like, Yep, I am a Verizon customer with an ICON so that means we wont get it.....and I was right... :(

Truth be told, I am glad we finally got it, was getting sick of all the rumors ever other day on here, Better late than never...

So we for sure won't be getting Windows 10 then? Where did you see this?

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Two days into the update, my battery was draining (what seemed) twice as fast. Seems the OTA and the MS backup didn't quite catch all of my settings. Everything was at the default settings. By this I mean. Background apps, yup all of them were running. My headphone just didn't sound right, yup equalizer defaulted. The color seemed off, uhh you guessed it, defaults. What a difference once everything was set the way I wanted it. Is this normal on an update this big?

The transparent background pics for the start screen rock! The phone now wakes up with the power button in the blink of an eye. Gawd did mine lag on 8.1DP. The upgrades that came with DP made it well worth using it. Going back to 8.0 would have been painful. The camera is darn near instant now. Who ever fixed it has my sincere thanks! There is no other brand phone camera on the market that can touch it IMHO. First time I have ever had a phone camera, that was better in low light WITHOUT the flash, than with it. ROFL Camera 5 is incredible in low light.

Nice to see I finally have a flagship phone, capable of what it was originally touted as. WP 8.0 and Black did this phone no justice what so ever.

HGIIII

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Really - you are mad and gonna bounce? You'll only be disappointed again, but next time, you'll be disappointed and on an inferior network - ATT is TERRIBLE - dropped calls, echoes - everyone constantly asking me to move toward a window - with full signal strength displaying. We had 8.1 in DP - not ideal, but if it really mattered to you, there was a work around. I bought my Icon a few weeks ago off of eBay for a couple hundred bucks betting on the fact that MSFT wouldn't dare leave the Icon in the dust. So, I didn't suffer through all of the uncertainty and dispair- but it sure seems like an ideal set up to me now. Why not wait to see how 10 get's released?

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I was also wondering why we didn't get that. Pls post if you find something.

It can still possibly come with an update to the "touch" system app... I am also hoping an update to the "display" app fixes
my tint/hue issue.

To those of you that don't appear to have the issue (to test, set brightness to high, and bring up settings menu in a dark room, is the background black or visible hue of red/purple?) did you up update from 8.0 to Denim or from PfD to Denim?

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
So we for sure won't be getting Windows 10 then? Where did you see this?

Before this rumor gets going,, lets squash it.

YES, We Will Be Getting Windows 10 on the Icon.
No, we are not getting the Tech Preview right now.
Might see something by June 2015, so either a Dev Preview or RTM.
Most likely a Dev Preview and RTM around the same time

I am expecting June 2015 time frame.
Yes We will get a Dev Preview and not have to wait for VZW.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
It can still possibly come with an update to the "touch" system app... I am also hoping an update to the "display" app fixes
my tint/hue issue.

To those of you that don't appear to have the issue (to test, set brightness to high, and bring up settings menu in a dark room, is the background black or visible hue of red/purple?) did you up update from 8.0 to Denim or from PfD to Denim?

Only in certain areas, not all screens are like that.
Not a big deal to me.

magmagnus

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

I updated from 8.0. When I use those settings in a very dark room, I do see the purple hue. If you hadn't pointed it out, I would have never known. With that being said, it doesn't bother me; I never use my phone in near total darkness conditions. But, that is just me.

I plead ignorant on the AMOLED screen tech. Was there an advertising claim or promise made that said there would not be a purple tint in near total darkness?

What is your use case where this is a problem? A better understanding of that scenario might help me understand the source of your frustration with this issue.

I have a problem with Cortana's affection algorithms. She just doesn't seem to be into me, no matter how much I sweet talk her.

DCJohnston

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
What he said. Pretty sure the poster went straight from 8 to official 8.1. Xbox music is fine now.

However....op, pretty much all of your gripes are OS related and are nothing Verizon would be signing off on. They have no interest whatsoever in if you prefer the update, they just make sure it works on their devices and network. If you don't like something about the OS, Microsoft who made it that way.

I understand Microsoft is in control of Windows Phone OS, for the music gripe, they are the ones I am upset with. But my gripe with Verizon was leaving customers like me in the dark when it came to the update and unreasonable retire of the Icon which is their best windows phone they offer. I know each phone is different but they could at least tell us why it took them so long. Any answers at all would have been nice.

What is wrong with it now? After the latest update I have no issues at all. I should say I am an Xbox Music subscriber and all the music I have on the phone is from there.

When it comes to changing songs or loading your collection, you don't encounter any type of loading or lag? Not saying you're wrong I just want to check and see if maybe it is my phone. I see others side with me and then people like yourself say it's fine. How much music is on your phone? I have 8 gigs and it is all from Xbox Music, I pay for it as well.

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I updated from 8.0. When I use those settings in a very dark room, I do see the purple hue. If you hadn't pointed it out, I would have never known. With that being said, it doesn't bother me; I never use my phone in near total darkness conditions. But, that is just me.

I plead ignorant on the AMOLED screen tech. Was there an advertising claim or promise made that said there would not be a purple tint in near total darkness?

What is your use case where this is a problem? A better understanding of that scenario might help me understand the source of your frustration with this issue.

I have a problem with Cortana's affection algorithms. She just doesn't seem to be into me, no matter how much I sweet talk her.

Not necessarily frustrated, but disappointed as it wasn't an issue before the update and I can't confirm or deny if it affects battery life. Since amoled is supposed to be off when on black if it has any deviation from rgb 0,0,0 then the pixel is on and using battery.

Regardless it doesn't bother me that much if at all, its just an $500+ phone shouldn't have this type of issue especially if it wasn't present in prior versions.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
So really liking denim so far but one thing my search is changed. Apparently you can't choses your default search provider anymore and it defaults to the phone search which is cortana. It takes forever to find anything. Anyway I can get google back? The browser options are really limited I can't even set a home page that can find.
Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

rpspiker

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I turned the phone on this morning and it said an update was ready go to (can't show link) . Since I had the Developer Preview I started researching what steps I needed to take. Then I decided to check Setting->extras+info. I first clue was new options under settings: Hey Cortana, motion data and transfer my data. When I touched extras+info I was pleasantly saw Lumia Denim. I scrolled down to see creation date 1/9/2015. Every indication is this is the real Denim. AND I did not have to "remove" Preview for Developers. It seems to have integrated/updated what was already installed. I know it is Demin. It paired with my Fitbit One and Chest Strap Heart Rate Monitor. Finally, thank you Verizon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99