Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Now that I got Denim, I just got the NFC SIM card and got Softcard to work. I started a thread on how I did it, along with how I politely educated VZW staff that NFC pay is supported on my phone....

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Now that I got Denim, I just got the NFC SIM card and got Softcard to work. I started a thread on how I did it, along with how I politely educated VZW staff that NFC pay is supported on my phone....

I replied to your post and you could of done this with the DP, I used it myself, there is a whole thread on Softcard that was there before Denim hit...

Still, like normal Vzw employees, clueless about Windows Phone...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So we for sure won't be getting Windows 10 then? Where did you see this?

No, I am not sure, I was talking about the Release day. I am 99.9% sure we will get the DP/preview of Windows 10 Phone. Now getting the FINAL release from Verizon, now that is a TOTAL different story. A hope is about the best you can get with that one..

I am not looking forward to the thread of MONTHS of waiting for Verizon to give us even a hair bit of info IF and when we will get W10P (what'd we get between the 2 threads waiting for Cyan/Denim between both, 150 pages or so ?),

Yea, W10P should be the new thing we call Windows 10 for phone.

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I am upset that Glance is not available for the Icon. It has all the hardware needed...

Glance won't come due to lack of screen memory its been covered, Double Tap to Wake should come though, considering we have the hue issue the 930's have :p I think it just might be an update to the "touch" app to enable it but as stated several times before its pure hope at this time. I am worried that the hue issue won't be a simple software fix :( but considering it started after the firmware update.....

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Okay, four days in, and I am becoming concerned. I have started to have battery problems that I never had with PFD. Yesterday, my phone shut down completely on me. I went to restart it and it displayed the empty battery logo. I have an external battery stick I bought when I got the phone (the battery is tiny for the specs of the equipment), and as soon as it connected, the phone restarted.

When powered up, I checked the battery level and it showed 52%! Clearly it did not flash charge, it simply wasn't reporting a charge when one existed.

I have experienced other "flash drains" that didn't shut the phone down, but in no case did the phone heat up. I don't believe that the battery is actually draining. I think there's something wrong with the algorithm that measures the battery level.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I just received what appeared to be a small update after hard resetting earlier today. Didn't think about showing details before starting the update. Anyone know what the update was for?

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
we waited 9 months for an update, with not one word from Verizon of why it was delayed

I don't care if it was malicious or not but waiting almost a full calendar year for an update is ridiculous even by Verizon standards imho

I am going to shop around when my contract comes due, I find a better or comparable WP flagship on another carrier I will not have any problem jumping ship because I have no interest of going through another Icon situation with another flagship WP on a carrier that has showed no interest in the WP platform

And, let's NOT forget this fact now that Microsoft has indicated that 8.1 GDR 2 has been released to OEMs. On item I noticed is "video over LTE" for video conferencing ... so, le's see how long it takes Verizon?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay, four days in, and I am becoming concerned. I have started to have battery problems that I never had with PFD. Yesterday, my phone shut down completely on me. I went to restart it and it displayed the empty battery logo. I have an external battery stick I bought when I got the phone (the battery is tiny for the specs of the equipment), and as soon as it connected, the phone restarted.

When powered up, I checked the battery level and it showed 52%! Clearly it did not flash charge, it simply wasn't reporting a charge when one existed.

I have experienced other "flash drains" that didn't shut the phone down, but in no case did the phone heat up. I don't believe that the battery is actually draining. I think there's something wrong with the algorithm that measures the battery level.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Open up Battery Sense and check out what is running in the background. When you upgraded, Battery Sense reset to factory and it is allowing pretty much ANY app that can run in the background. I have several that I had to go back and turn off.

WP Newbie

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Open up Battery Sense and check out what is running in the background. When you upgraded, Battery Sense reset to factory and it is allowing pretty much ANY app that can run in the background. I have several that I had to go back and turn off.

My battery situation isn't anything near what is happening to the guy you were replying to, but I was just wondering what exactly needs the ability to run in the background? It looks like Internet Explorer is my highest background use offender, followed by 6tag and then twitter. I presume Cortana has to be able to, or else she won't function correctly?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
My battery situation isn't anything near what is happening to the guy you were replying to, but I was just wondering what exactly needs the ability to run in the background? It looks like Internet Explorer is my highest background use offender, followed by 6tag and then twitter. I presume Cortana has to be able to, or else she won't function correctly?

Yes, you are correct, Cortana needs to be running in the background for "Hey Cortana" to work. As for what is "needed" that is entirely up to you. I found apps running in the background that I felt didn't need to be running.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Background apps don't seem to drain too much battery for me, the insane battery drain when actively using FB Messenger, Messages or disqus.com is much, much worse. It quickly shoots up to 50-60%, if I am out and use FB Messenger for example. I have no idea if this is typical on smartphones but it seems crazy.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Very true and well said. But not only does one pay for the phone service and performance, but as well as customer service and giving their customers top of the line specs. I respect your opinion and we all purchase things for different reasons, but for me it is hard to support a company who keeps me in the dark the way they did. They just do not care about Windows phones and it is quite frustrating.

I agree that we are paying for customer support as well. I just dont see this as not providing customer support. What could they have possibly said other then shoot themselves in the foot? No matter what they could have claimed or said people will still be pissed, sometimes for a business silence is the best course until you have good news. To me as long as they dont say "this update will not be coming" (which they would have said if that was the case) to me it means they are working on it. Maybe they were not staffing as many people as say an android update (which we dont know is the case). We have what 3% of VZW's market share? can you really expect more then 3% of their resources dedicated to it? ATT was first with cyan, we were first with Denim, we were also the first to get Black. If ATT doesn't release Denim by May, will we have people ******** and threatening to leave? Of course.

Obviously everyone has their own opinion, this is just mine.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it was malicious. I think they didn't care one bit about devoting ANY resources to getting the update out, I KNOW they ditched the phone as soon as they could without giving any reassurance as to support or updates, and then never said a single word about it to anyone, after they failed to deliver an update that literally every other carrier in the world had sent out to phones that Microsoft approved for the update.
You can't possibly "KNOW" that, you may feel that way, but you cant KNOW that.

And that's not even mentioning how they treated me when I wanted to BECOME a customer, not offering any of their Windows Phone models for sale in the first three stores I went to.

I don't have to speculate about malice to know they treated me as a customer they couldn't care less about. I have no desire to support that business, unless they clean up their act.

Were you going to VZW corporate stores or "authorized retailers". I know that all corporate stores had Windows phones and were even pushing them, becuase that was the corporate directive... Authorized Retailers do not have to carry the same phones and most of them dont. I had to go to a corporate store to get my Icon, VZW cant control what phones these stores stock, its up to them. Best Buy doesn't carry VZW windows phones either...

Maybe I'm just more understanding, IDK. With my experience being basically the same as yours. I do not feel the same way.

Too each his own :)

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
we waited 9 months for an update, with not one word from Verizon of why it was delayed

I don't care if it was malicious or not but waiting almost a full calendar year for an update is ridiculous even by Verizon standards imho

I am going to shop around when my contract comes due, I find a better or comparable WP flagship on another carrier I will not have any problem jumping ship because I have no interest of going through another Icon situation with another flagship WP on a carrier that has showed no interest in the WP platform

To be fair, we waited like 3 months since Denim was announced.

They skipped Cyan, At this point would you have rather got Cyan and waited until around May to get Denim? They had to make a decision... I think they made the right one.

I totally get shopping around, I probably will too, just because that's what any consumer should do... But this could have happened on any carrier, and does happen on all of them at some point.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, we waited like 3 months since Denim was announced.

They skipped Cyan, At this point would you have rather got Cyan and waited until around May to get Denim? They had to make a decision... I think they made the right one.

I totally get shopping around, I probably will too, just because that's what any consumer should do... But this could have happened on any carrier, and does happen on all of them at some point.

would I have wanted to get Cyan back in April/May 2014 instead of waiting 9 months stuck on Black/8.0 or DP to get Denim first? I would have liked to have had Cyan along with all the features it added from Black months ago, it would have made a wait for Denim much more tolerable imho

if you are more understanding of the way Verizon treated us Icon customers and the WP platform in general for the past year and think it is just business as usual for a carrier that is fine and you are welcome to your opinion but for me the way Verizon treated us Icon customers for the last year was unacceptable

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
You can't possibly "KNOW" that, you may feel that way, but you cant KNOW that.
Except for the possibility that 7 months after launch wasn't technically "as soon as they could" stop selling the Icon (perhaps they could have stopped after 4 or 5 months?), everything else was what we KNOW, not what I feel.

Were you going to VZW corporate stores or "authorized retailers". I know that all corporate stores had Windows phones and were even pushing them, becuase that was the corporate directive... Authorized Retailers do not have to carry the same phones and most of them dont. I had to go to a corporate store to get my Icon, VZW cant control what phones these stores stock, its up to them. Best Buy doesn't carry VZW windows phones either...

The first two were Verizon stores but they were independently operated, then it was a mall store, and then their corporate store. I assume that none of the others are MANDATED to sell WP, but I also know that if Verizon really cared they would give incentives for these stores to sell it. Let's not forget that these are EXCLUSIVES to Verizon, so nobody else could sell them without Verizon's approval. It's entirely on Verizon to get these phones out, and they simply didn't care.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
TAt this point would you have rather got Cyan and waited until around May to get Denim?
Absolutely. The Black -> Cyan update was crucial - that's where 8.0 was updated to 8.1 and where the hardware was matched to the software (enabling Fitbit and Sensor Core). The Icon would probably have been a competitive phone with Cyan/8.1 on it. Not having this was a no go. Cyan to Denim was a much lesser update, and would have been much more tolerable to wait for, especially if Verizon had actually bothered to communicate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon