12-19-2014 10:40 AM
47 12
tools
    Ok, first post but have been lurking for a while...

Just heard from a person within our rather large company that Verizon's "current date" for WP updates is "mid-November". Person works in our IT and this info came from a source they work with in Verizon. Our IT person was told this just this morning. Don't have any other details (v8.1? V8.1.1? All phones? Some phones? ... I don't know).

Just passing on what I heard, third hand from a possibly reliable source, so take it for what it cost you.

Here is hoping...
    "Hey Cortana!"
    THANKS for sharing ... there has been a rumor that, like several European carriers, that perhaps Verizon is "skipping" Cyan and going directly to Denim (later in the year). However, ONLY certain Verizon phones "will support" Denim as I just upgraded from the 928 to the Icon 3 weeks ago.

Can you possibly find our more details???
    10-15-2014 12:23 PM
    THANKS for sharing ... there has been a rumor that, like several European carriers, that perhaps Verizon is "skipping" Cyan and going directly to Denim (later in the year). However, ONLY certain Verizon phones "will support" Denim as I just upgraded from the 928 to the Icon 3 weeks ago.

Can you possibly find our more details???
    First thing I did, after confirm that this was not just another sales/support rep spewing a line, was for details. Which phones? 8.1 or 8.1.1? cyan, or denim? So far, I've heard nothing else. If I get more details I'll pass along.
    DavidinCT and mikeharden#WP like this.
    10-15-2014 01:48 PM
    First thing I did, after confirm that this was not just another sales/support rep spewing a line, was for details. Which phones? 8.1 or 8.1.1? cyan, or denim? So far, I've heard nothing else. If I get more details I'll pass along.
    I thank you for the work you're doing. We could use some hope around these parts.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    10-15-2014 02:16 PM
    I had a chat with a Verizon rep today, inquiring about the availability of any pending updates. Supposedly we'll be seeing Cyan and 8.1 land officially by the end of the month (October 2014). Here is how it went:

"(ME): I've been told repeatedly, as it appears many other customers have on the Verizon forums, that it will be released soon. That's been the line since June, do you know of a hard release date?

(ME): As I understand it, Verizon is the only carrier still holding the release for Windows products. All
    other carriers have released the updates to some, if not all WP devices.

(VZ REP): Let me take a look at the tech page. I don't think I will be able to find a hard release date for anything. I am not sure about the reasoning behind holding any update but I will try to find out.

(VZ REP): what I am seeing from the device testers dated the 9th of October...the 8.1 release will be Rolling out later this month. so it is not a hard release date.

(ME): Ok, is this to be the Cyan update

(VZ REP): Nothing specifically from the testers that it will be Cyan..however, the question they are responding to from us is "when will 8.1 Cyan be released" and they mention later this month. Apparently there have been issues in testing which is the reason for the delay."
    HarrBear and mikeharden#WP like this.
    10-15-2014 04:16 PM
    I will certainly wait a few more weeks, or even a month, before giving up on the update. The Icon is a very nice phone, even without the updates.
    Kasey Pierce and HarrBear like this.
    10-15-2014 04:43 PM
    Why do people spend their time calling Verizon and/or Microsoft asking about updates? Those guys don't know. And we probably have no chance of getting through to whoever does know. Do you really think that your threats or superior knowledge about update statuses of other devices impresses or intimidates them?

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    10-15-2014 04:59 PM
    Oh well, back to DP 8.1 for a while on my ICON. Good grief!
    HarrBear likes this.
    10-15-2014 05:01 PM
    (VZ REP): what I am seeing from the device testers dated the 9th of October...the 8.1 release will be Rolling out later this month. so it is not a hard release date.
    Not that I don't believe this chat or you (not meaning to offend you) but, as 95% of the Verizon users/haters know that CSR's are not given information on updates when they will be released. This is well known, look over all the Android forums or even WP7 device forums on Models that Verizon carried.

I'm wondering if she/he was looking at the same thing that you were. If she was looking at a private testers chat, this is the first time anyone on this site has ever seen or heard of it. And I have been complaining about Verizon updates from my old Moto v60i....(old school)...

Anyway about it, it would be nice if true, and at this point I could care less about Cyan (if you have the WP8.1 preview/dp, you have 95% of it) as I have given up on Cyan, I want and expect Denim....

Ugh, another few weeks of waiting....Seems like a normal thing for Verizon users....waiting, waiting, waiting...
    10-15-2014 07:06 PM
    Thanks a lot. M8 exclusivity runs out November 7th, do this sadly makes sense in a twisted Verizon way
    10-16-2014 07:10 AM
    My money is on it being Cyan.
    10-17-2014 08:51 AM
    I got this last night.

wp_ss_20141016_0001.jpg
    10-17-2014 08:57 AM
    Here is the text of a letter I just mailed to Verizon:
    I am the owner of a Nokia Icon, model 929, phone since the first day of its release in the Spring of 2014. Although I have been extremely satisfied with this handset, I am disappointed with Verizon for its failure to date to provide the long available Windows Phone 8.1 update and Cyan firmware update. Other Nokia phones by competing carriers, including the nearly identical 930 model, have had these updates for many months. In fact, the next generation of firmware is nearing release soon, which will render my phone two versions out of date.
    I did try to obtain information through the online support forums and note that Verizon declines to provide a date for these upgrades. Im concerned because Im missing out on significant functionality on my handset because Verizon has not provided this update. Additionally, I have not found Verizon store associates to be knowledgeable about Windows Phone or even carry accessories for this now, apparently discontinued, flagship phone model.
    My request to you is simple. I desire that Verizon provide the Windows Phone 8.1 update and work to keep firmware relatively current. Short of that, Im very interested in an answer as to when Verizon may perform these updates or even knowing Verizon never intends to upgrade the software on this device.
    My family has spent $2,000/year for phone service with Verizon for a number of years. Im feeling left out in the dark here, so please let me know what your plans are. If I dont hear anything, Ill be going to a competitor at the end of this contract.
    forked and BlueSky2008 like this.
    10-17-2014 10:29 AM
    I am the owner of a Nokia Icon, model 929, phone since the first day of its release in the Spring of 2014. Although I have been extremely satisfied with this handset, I am disappointed with Verizon for its failure to date to provide the long available Windows Phone 8.1 update and Cyan firmware update. Other Nokia phones by competing carriers, including the nearly identical 930 model, have had these updates for many months. In fact, the next generation of firmware is nearing release soon, which will render my phone two versions out of date.
    I did try to obtain information through the online support forums and note that Verizon declines to provide a date for these upgrades. I’m concerned because I’m missing out on significant functionality on my handset because Verizon has not provided this update. Additionally, I have not found Verizon store associates to be knowledgeable about Windows Phone or even carry accessories for this now, apparently discontinued, flagship phone model.
    My request to you is simple. I desire that Verizon provide the Windows Phone 8.1 update and work to keep firmware relatively current. Short of that, I’m very interested in an answer as to when Verizon may perform these updates or even knowing Verizon never intends to upgrade the software on this device.
    My family has spent $2,000/year for phone service with Verizon for a number of years. I’m feeling left out in the dark here, so please let me know what your plans are. If I don’t hear anything, I’ll be going to a competitor at the end of this contract.
    VZW official response:

crickets

They really don't give a flip about customers threats to switch carriers.
    10-17-2014 11:45 AM
    ...My family has spent $2,000/year for phone service with Verizon for a number of years. Im feeling left out in the dark here, so please let me know what your plans are. If I dont hear anything, Ill be going to a competitor at the end of this contract.
    Actually you just mad me feel like shat, I never did the math and I guess I didn't want to, but I have been giving VZW over 3000$ pet year. Now I feel dirty and I'm going to try and remove that thought from my brain.
    HarrBear likes this.
    10-17-2014 12:11 PM
    I did try to obtain information through the online support forums and note that Verizon declines to provide a date for these upgrades. I’m concerned because I’m missing out on significant functionality on my handset because Verizon has not provided this update. Additionally, I have not found Verizon store associates to be knowledgeable about Windows Phone or even carry accessories for this now, apparently discontinued, flagship phone model.
    My request to you is simple. I desire that Verizon provide the Windows Phone 8.1 update and work to keep firmware relatively current. Short of that, I’m very interested in an answer as to when Verizon may perform these updates or even knowing Verizon never intends to upgrade the software on this device.
    My family has spent $2,000/year for phone service with Verizon for a number of years. I’m feeling left out in the dark here, so please let me know what your plans are. If I don’t hear anything, I’ll be going to a competitor at the end of this contract.
    Where di you mail it to - corporate, "Office of the CEO", ? I had a HORRIBLE situation with DirecTV a few years ago, also HP on a laptop, and discovered that many large companies have "Office of the CEO dedicated staff"!

That said, I suspect that the executive leadership at Verizon has made clear how little they value or respond to "customer demands" - they have so many "customers" that they can always find a subset that are "happy"?
    10-18-2014 10:57 AM
    I did try to obtain information through the online support forums and note that Verizon declines to provide a date for these upgrades. Im concerned because Im missing out on significant functionality on my handset because Verizon has not provided this update. Additionally, I have not found Verizon store associates to be knowledgeable about Windows Phone or even carry accessories for this now, apparently discontinued, flagship phone model.
    My request to you is simple. I desire that Verizon provide the Windows Phone 8.1 update and work to keep firmware relatively current. Short of that, Im very interested in an answer as to when Verizon may perform these updates or even knowing Verizon never intends to upgrade the software on this device.
    My family has spent $2,000/year for phone service with Verizon for a number of years. Im feeling left out in the dark here, so please let me know what your plans are. If I dont hear anything, Ill be going to a competitor at the end of this contract.
    No offense. I just want to point out that this is not a thread for posting grievances. There are already a couple threads for that.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...inning-q4.html

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...enim-icon.html

So please, go there if you want to complain or rant. This thread is for any official updates from Verizon or Microsoft.

Thanks.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    10-18-2014 11:51 PM
    I was afraid to do the developer preview but so glad I did. Works perfect. Home page more beautiful than ever. Cortana has been very helpful and I'm enjoying Swype on my keyboard. I feel so much better hearing the Microsoft store is encouraging people to do it. I also don't feel as anxious and irritated with this delay. Looking forward to denim, but more at peace with my phone. Thanks for keeping this thread on task with specific info so I can keep up. Very happy 😊
    HarrBear and cobblugo like this.
    10-19-2014 04:29 AM
    Some official word finally

Microsoft: 'Work is underway' on Verizon's Lumia Cyan updates | Windows Central

I guess the silver lining is this confirms we will finally get at least 8.1/cyan from Verizon in possibly the far off future but on the other hand 4-5 months and they still can't iron out the bugs in 8.1/cyan on Verizon's network is troubling to say the least imho
    10-30-2014 11:21 AM
    some more official word from MS mentioning the Icon and Denim this time:

Lumia 830, 930, 1520 and Icon will automatically get the new Lumia Camera 5 application with the Lumia Denim software update. Lumia Camera Classic represents the existing camera (formerly known as Nokia Camera, now Lumia Camera 4). This application lets you revert back to the predecessor version. Go to Store to download and install.

Microsoft Mobile Devices
    11-30-2014 01:21 PM
    Subject to carrier approval, of course.
    11-30-2014 02:38 PM
    One of the closest things to official we are going to get

https://twitter.com/VZWSupport/statu...38760835055617
    jazz70 likes this.
    12-18-2014 04:01 PM
    Lumia Icon Denim update scheduled for early 2015 | Windows Central

joebelfiore
    @joebelfiore Happy Holidays WP users on Verizon! The 928 and 922 updates (WP8.1 + Denim) go live today and the ICON is on deck for early 2015.

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/stat...78520317341696

We also recognize that many of you on Verizon who have the Lumia Icon are anxious to hear about updates for your Windows Phone. Today we are confirming that the Lumia Icon will receive the upgrade to Windows Phone 8.1 in early 2015. This upgrade will also be the Lumia Denim update!

Verizon announces Windows Phone 8.1 upgrades for Lumia 822 and Lumia 928
    Last edited by jazz70; 12-19-2014 at 11:38 AM.
    12-19-2014 10:40 AM
47 12