Post any official updates from Verizon or Microsoft about the Icon

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I thought I would make a new thread to post any official updates from Verizon/Microsoft about any news about the fate of the "retired" Icon

on Mary Jo Foley's site I came across this:

Update (7:30 pm ET October 10). Via a Microsoft spokesperson, Verizon provided the following statement, which does not address the retirement issue or the status of the Lumia Icon updates:

"Icon is in stock and Verizon is actively selling it at retail stores for $99.99 after $50 MIR and 2 year contract."

ridiculous that this is the only official statement we have of any kind since the "Icon is retired" bomb dropped

keep an eye on Foley's site and her twitter feed because Foley is usually well informed about any matters to do with Microsoft, also check out Paul Thurrott's site because he is also tapped into all news about MS like Foley

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I guess I lucked out (or not). I ordered my Lumia Icon from VerizonWireless.com last Saturday night, and got it for $49.99. I saved fifty bucks using a coupon code I found through a Google search.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Free is always good! And to think, I thought $99 was the deal of the life time when I got me. I still think it is compared to the price I paid for droids before this.

juliosa2

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Verizon plans to delay the update icon and to say that the phone does not have stock, to promote the sale of the M8 before arrival to AT & T after.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Verizon plans to delay the update icon and to say that the phone does not have stock, to promote the sale of the M8 before arrival to AT & T after.

This is my speculation as well. It's pretty unfortunate.

But this thread is actually more for official responses than speculation.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
If that is the case the people running things at VZW are idiots. The marketshare for WP is minuscule enough. Why would they even care which phone someone bought as long it sucked them into a data plan with a contract?

ptmom

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Well, yesterday was the last straw. I spent an hour on the phone with Verizon with a representative that did not know what the icon was, that they carried it at one time and that an update was out there. Spoke to his supervisor and she placed me on hold for a half hour. During that time I drove over to my local Microsoft store [I am so lucky to have them near]. I hung up on Verizon not knowing if I was going to switch carriers or phones or do nothing.

The associate could not have been nicer. He explained how easy the update was to do and assured me that if my phone blew up, they would help me. So, I left thinking I would attempt the update and if it went south, I would come back and buy a new phone. After watching you tube videos a few times, I took the plunge. For the most part it went relatively easy. After two updates, I have 8.1 on my phone and am having a blast.

If you decide you want to try to update, just be sure you complete a backup. I also saved my files on my computer.

Don't look back, just do it!

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
That's awesome, I broke down and had my husband update mine last week. I am enjoying it as well. But it is still missing some of the features only available with the update Verizon is with holding. Did the rep at the MS store mention if the developers preview would continue to offer updates so we can get features only available in cyan and denim. I want to be able to say "Hey Cortana" at some point LOL! But I've also heard that denim will offer more useful features like when snoozing a reminder having more time options etc.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
That's awesome, I broke down and had my husband update mine last week. I am enjoying it as well. But it is still missing some of the features only available with the update Verizon is with holding. Did the rep at the MS store mention if the developers preview would continue to offer updates so we can get features only available in cyan and denim. I want to be able to say "Hey Cortana" at some point LOL! But I've also heard that denim will offer more useful features like when snoozing a reminder having more time options etc.

Just use Developer Preview for everything. I've been using Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 since August: With improved Snooze time options, Live Folders and all. It is impossible to "miss" an update using Preview for Developers, so assuming one day Verizon see there error of their ways and releases Cyan and/or Denim, you can rest assured that you will receive the update in full. So I'd highly recommend taking the plunge, it's well worth it.

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I got my Icon for free! :p

Both my husband and I wanted to get it when it was free, but we had to wait for our contracts to be close to renewal, and Verizon would not budge on renewing us 2 weeks early so we could take advantage of the free Icon. (We were told by an associate in the Verizon retail store that it was likely they would let us renew since our contract was up so soon, but they would not). Then the online price went up to $99, then $149, then down to $99- all within less than 2 weeks. When it seemed stabilized at $99, I found a coupon code online for $50 off certain Verizon phones, so we both got it for $49.99. Free is better, but I'm okay with what we paid. I do, however, think the $30 upgrade fee is ridiculous.

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Both my husband and I wanted to get it when it was free, but we had to wait for our contracts to be close to renewal, and Verizon would not budge on renewing us 2 weeks early so we could take advantage of the free Icon. (We were told by an associate in the Verizon retail store that it was likely they would let us renew since our contract was up so soon, but they would not). Then the online price went up to $99, then $149, then down to $99- all within less than 2 weeks. When it seemed stabilized at $99, I found a coupon code online for $50 off certain Verizon phones, so we both got it for $49.99. Free is better, but I'm okay with what we paid. I do, however, think the $30 upgrade fee is ridiculous.

It just shows it's all about who you talk too. I has just under a month to go on my contract and they let me out early so I could grab the Icon for free. The interesting thing was I could only get the phone free online and not even do the store pickup, because they wanted $150.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Never go to the store, call verizon directly and they will most likely let you upgrade early. That has always been my experience

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
We did call Verizon (not the store)- they said, "No". Moot at this point- when Verizon decided to let anyone whose contract was up Nov.15th or earlier upgrade last month, we did.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
We did call Verizon (not the store)- they said, "No". Moot at this point- when Verizon decided to let anyone whose contract was up Nov.15th or earlier upgrade last month, we did.

They made this exception for users who wanted the iPhone6/6+ at release. Did it only apply to those upgrading to the iPhone? I assumed that you could upgrade to any phone using that exception, but maybe not.

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
They made this exception for users who wanted the iPhone6/6+ at release. Did it only apply to those upgrading to the iPhone? I assumed that you could upgrade to any phone using that exception, but maybe not.

I'm not sure to which exception you are referring. We were told in the Verizon corporate store to call VerizonWireless and ask them to let us upgrade early (2 weeks). This was just before they announced (on Sept. 15th) that anyone whose contract was up on or before Nov.15th could upgrade now. VerizonWireless said, "No". Then the Verizon early upgrade announcement came out about a week later, so we both upgraded. Unfortunately, by that time, the Icon was no longer free. But yes, the "official" early upgrade announcement was/is for every Verizon customer- not just iPhone users/buyers. I believe they have a special offer for iPhone buyers that they can trade in their iPhone for an iPhone 6 for free.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
anyone whose contract was up on or before Nov.15th could upgrade now.

I believe this exception is the one Verizon made for the iPhone 6/6+ release. What I do not know is if you had to upgrade to an iPhone to take advantage of it, or if the option was open to upgrading to any device.

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
The early upgrade is for every Verizon customer whose current contract expires on or before Nov.15th. There is no restriction on the upgraded phone because it is a "normal" upgrade offer- they are just letting customers who are near their renewal date upgrade early. My guess is that it is to spread out the anticipated holiday "flood" of purchases. Verizon has a separate offer for iPhone customers; they can trade-in an iPhone iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C, or 5S for a free iPhone 6 with a 2-year contract renewal. This article clarifies both offers:
Verizon offers early upgrades as iPhone 6, 6 Plus loom - CNET

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss