Perhaps the ICON just has NOT sold well - completely missing from this AdDuplex Sept 24th Report?

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Is it possible that despite all of our love for the ICON that it simply is NOT selling well - due to the fact that it is a Verizon EXCLUSIVE "Flagship" versus the 925 and - as we all know - JUST NOT heavily promoted by Verizon.

DOES NOT "answer" the facts that "we personally, and most of us" either read or had *BOTH* Microsoft + Verizon "GUARANTEE" upgrades to:

1) XLTE
2) Cyan
3) Denim

ScreenHunter_1726 Oct. 13 20.35.jpg

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Or due to the fact that Verizon's moronic sales reps refuse to sell them to regular customers and you have to fight to buy one? I'm thinking this.....

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
They stopped selling it! I have an HTX 8x and my contract ends this coming new years. I want a new phone. I don't know what to do. VZW is my only option because it's what my family uses. I was looking forward to getting a Lumia, but I guess I'll have to settle for the HTC M8 for windows phone. That phone is $200 on contract and only has a 4mp camera. I mean come on. That's ridiculous.

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Good theory, but I'm not sure the evidence supports it. First, this must be for WP8.1 DP and WP8.1/Cyan. Only AT&T Nokia devices have gotten the WP8.1/Cyan here in the US. Second, why retire a newer phone? The 928 is ALSO a Verizon exclusive, so why not pull the older phone? That would have bumped up sales for the Icon. There is more going on behind the scenes that we are not privy too. Getting actual sales figures for the Icon compared to the 928 would be better evidence.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Good theory, but I'm not sure the evidence supports it. First, this must be for WP8.1 DP and WP8.1/Cyan. Only AT&T Nokia devices have gotten the WP8.1/Cyan here in the US. Second, why retire a newer phone? The 928 is ALSO a Verizon exclusive, so why not pull the older phone? That would have bumped up sales for the Icon. There is more going on behind the scenes that we are not privy too. Getting actual sales figures for the Icon compared to the 928 would be better evidence.

The 928 is also a Verizon "exclusive" - as I have one on a separate line - and its does NOT have Cyan yet. The 928 is still for sale on Verizon's website.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I started this thread because I LOVE the ICON ... but, I am beginning to think that IT IS Microsoft who should be getting "blasted by us" and not just Verizon. There is "something" else going on here that the Press is not yet picking up and to WHY the Icon was "out-of-stock" for a few weeks on September, got re-stocked and NOW "reportedly retired"!

Seems to be more about "production" by Microsoft?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Slide #3 - "We have made every attempt to consolidate different phone model names under their canonical retail names, but it is possible that some of the rare variations were not accounted for."

I don't think the icon is realistically represented here.

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Or due to the fact that Verizon's moronic sales reps refuse to sell them to regular customers and you have to fight to buy one? I'm thinking this.....

This. Carriers don't really reprimand reps for trashing Windows products. This is the number-one problem for Windows Phone. Microsoft should start sending its own secret shoppers to carrier stores.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
They stopped selling it! I have an HTX 8x and my contract ends this coming new years. I want a new phone. I don't know what to do. VZW is my onl option because it's what my family uses. I was looking forward to getting a Lumia, but I guess I'll have to settle for the HTC M8 for windows phone. That phone is $200 on contract and only has a 4mp camera. I mean come on. That's ridiculous.
I'd recommend the Samsung ativ se over the m8. Definitely.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Slide #3 - "We have made every attempt to consolidate different phone model names under their canonical retail names, but it is possible that some of the rare variations were not accounted for."

I don't think the icon is realistically represented here.

The Verizon 928 and "old as the hills" ATT 920 are both represented?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I am so tired of this ridiculous line. I could and did walk into numerous VZW company stores in Phoenix and they never hesitated to sell me a WP device. In fact, the Scottsdale company store made a point of telling me how good the 928 was with 8.1 loaded. The Icon is also still prominently on display next to the 928 and HTC in the west El Paso company store. The only device a VZW company employee ever tried to direct me from was the HTC Trophy and I should have listened.

As far as VZW marketing or not marketing WP, the attached images are the most recent emails from VZW and AT&T. Which one is telling me about WP devices? This is also not the first time I have received such emails and their snail mail flyers usually have one WP device listed as well.

Screenshot (21).jpgScreenshot (20).jpg

I would love for someone to actually name a VZW COMPANY store that can be verified to have directed a customer to another device. I hear lots of claims that are never backed up by verifiable facts. BTW, if they are not company stores, that is no different than going into a Best Buy. They are franchises not owned by VZW, need to make a profit to survive, and are certainly going to direct people to the things that sell best and have the best margin. News flash, it is the nature of retail in a capitalist society.

As for who should market the Icon, 925, 928, etc., etc., compare the number of ads BY Samsung for its devices to those BY Microsoft for WP devices. For that matter compare the number of Surface or Office 365 ads by Microsoft to those for their own phones. VZW has advertised WP at a level commensurate with being the number three player. Beyond that it is on the manufacturer. I am sorry to all those who seem offended by the fact that some people do not like your specific phone but 1) this is not a conspiracy 2) wide distribution vs exclusivity does not guarantee success (it can actually have the opposite effect), and 3) it really is not a family member, just an inanimate object. In this case, in all likelihood the Icon was retired because very few people bought it and/or it has a flaw they do not want to publicize.

Marcus Hallett

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I would love for someone to actually name a VZW COMPANY store that can be verified to have directed a customer to another device.

1. This is not an appropriate venue for the discussion of verifiability with respect to the philosophy of science.
  2. Strict adherence to verifiability (such as that of A. J. Ayer) hinders the process of scientific enquiry.
  3. 176 Terrace Ln
    Morristown, TN 37813

A VZW Corporate location. Employees do not know how to unlock the devices, and will actively direct customers to Android devices (because they know that there's no point in actually attempting to persuade someone who doesn't immediately drift towards the corner with the iPhones to purchase one).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)