Perhaps the ICON just has NOT sold well - completely missing from this AdDuplex Sept 24th Report?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Really? It's a nice phone, but so far, does not have 8.1 and with Verizon's track record, may not get it. The M8 is very nice and has 8.1 and the camera is decent, just not as good as the Icon.

You can get the developer preview on the Samsung and you can get a much better camera on the ativ than the m8 plus Samsung is a tad more reliable than HTC is. I'd definitely take my chances on a se than m8

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You can get the developer preview on the Samsung and you can get a much better camera on the ativ than the m8 plus Samsung is a tad more reliable than HTC is. I'd definitely take my chances on a se than m8

On the contrary - I think that HTC's build quality is better, and the camera can be just as good if used correctly.

I'd take the Icon over both in a heartbeat. And I'd take the 1520.3 over all of the above without a single hesitation.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
On the contrary - I think that HTC's build quality is better, and the camera can be just as good if used correctly.

I'd take the Icon over both in a heartbeat. And I'd take the 1520.3 over all of the above without a single hesitation.

I do think the m8 has the better build quality but I like phones that can take pictures without having to make sure you're doing it right. It just works, ya know?

But definitely take an icon over both. I'd settle for the ativ se over the two.no matter how the m8 owners try to slice it the camera is weak.

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
They stopped selling it! I have an HTX 8x and my contract ends this coming new years. I want a new phone. I don't know what to do. VZW is my onl option because it's what my family uses. I was looking forward to getting a Lumia, but I guess I'll have to settle for the HTC M8 for windows phone. That phone is $200 on contract and only has a 4mp camera. I mean come on. That's ridiculous.

I'd still get the ICON. Unless you totally don't care about the camera. Only $99 and a better phone, IMO.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible that those that buy smartphones in general have a purpose for their use? That is to say, is it more likely people who buy the 521 are looking to play games and do facebook, people that buy the 1050 would do more surfing and uploading photos? Conversely, people that buy the Icon are more conservative types. Those that will use the Icon to make calls for the most part. Stuff that Ad Duplex will most likely miss?

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

I agree, the Icon beats the snot out of both. The 1520.3 is a great phone...just way to big for me.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible that those that buy smartphones in general have a purpose for their use? That is to say, is it more likely people who buy the 521 are looking to play games and do facebook, people that buy the 1050 would do more surfing and uploading photos? Conversely, people that buy the Icon are more conservative types. Those that will use the Icon to make calls for the most part. Stuff that Ad Duplex will most likely miss?

Hmmm. I would disagree in part (the Icon part anyway). I use the camera (both still and video) a lot and post to Facebook fairly regularly with my Icon. I myself don't do a lot of gaming, but my daughter likes to play games on it when I let her. So, maybe I don't fall in to the "conservative" category or maybe I'm like most every other Icon user. The only way to find out is to do a survey.

We must also keep in mind that Ad Duplex's numbers come from free apps that used its SDK. I doubt Microsoft/Nokia baked Ad Duplex's SDK into its apps. Therefore, the numbers are going to be skewed towards the people and areas that are more likely to use free versions of apps versus paid apps. I'm one of those people who doesn't use a lot of the free apps on a regular basis. What I will do is try one out, if I like it I buy it, if not, I dump it.

So, unless we get actual sales figures for the Icon, using statistics from Ad Duplex or any other source based on usage is kind of pointless.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually I would say the M8 is the best phone on verizon (as long as the camera isn't important to you) because of its specs AND its microSD card slot. It has the SD801 where as the Icon only has the SD800. Not a huge upgrade, but still an upgrade. With that said I say the Icon is better because of the camera.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The M8 is a nice phone but it's too tall for me. The Icon is just about the max I can go on height. Phone needs to fit in my shirt pocket at work. If not for the height I'd give it a shot.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Following Ad Duplex's numbers and seeing how the M8 has jumped 14 spots month to month, I honestly think that Verizon is canning the Icon so that way they can focus all of their space on the M8 for Windows as their Windows flagship for the holiday season (lets be honest, one Windows phone probably won't sell a lot, so it makes a lot of business sense to not split your already small user base and focus on the better one).

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone think that it DID sell well? It's a carrier-exclusive iteration of a device. It's on a carrier not keen to promoting the platform. It got retired already. I mean, how would that look good on a graph, when put up against international devices, particularly budget ones (where WP has its highest rate of success)?

The Icon wasn't a great device. It ran the hardware it was supposed to, but it missed the boat on a few features (Glance, microSD support, color variety). It wasn't a great flagship at launch, and Verizon did nothing to help it sell. That's why when my sister went to get her Icon a couple of weeks ago, the guy accidentally set up a 928 for her, then admitted that it was the first Icon he had sold.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Actually I would say the M8 is the best phone on verizon (as long as the camera isn't important to you) because of its specs AND its microSD card slot. It has the SD801 where as the Icon only has the SD800. Not a huge upgrade, but still an upgrade. With that said I say the Icon is better because of the camera.

I really wish people would get off the 800 vs 801 train....Any differences between the two is marginal and it is not like the 1520/Icon is a slow device. I suppose it is ironic considering that most m8 owners criticize lumia owners for praising Nokia apps/camera lol....but really the 801 is not that big of a difference to make me jump to a phone that has it just because 800 is slightly older :p

I do wonder what happens when a Lumia with the same specs comes out...I guess then they'll hold onto the speakers. LMFAO

At this rate, you may as well just get a Samsung ATIV Se which is what I push towards people now that the Icon is no more.
Following Ad Duplex's numbers and seeing how the M8 has jumped 14 spots month to month, I honestly think that Verizon is canning the Icon so that way they can focus all of their space on the M8 for Windows as their Windows flagship for the holiday season (lets be honest, one Windows phone probably won't sell a lot, so it makes a lot of business sense to not split your already small user base and focus on the better one).

It's kind of sad that unfortunately most people either have to settle for the M8 or wait.....I feel bad for those people who recently purchased the Icon and discovered Verizon screwed them around.

One of my friend's today actually moved to an iPhone because they don't like HTC at all :( But what can you do.
I'm pushing the Samsung now that people know there is still an all around good windows phone that is comparable to the Icon still....even if I hate Samsung lol.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Normally I would agree, but why retire the Icon and not the 928? That is the part that is perplexing.

fyrpm

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
It's sad that the icon is not promoted by Verizon. I do see it displayed at the local stores however few sales people know much about it. It's really too bad because windows phone 8.1 is an excellent OS. I prefer it to iOS anything. I know I'm in the minority. It's just too bad Microsoft has done such a poor job getting the big carriers in the US to become educated and push the product.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
4 megapixel isn't quite an accurate assessment of it. Check out the sample shots, they actually look pretty impressive. I got burned by an HTC Android phone a few years back, and I'D be open to getting it, so believe you me, I think it's a respectable machine.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It's sad that the icon is not promoted by Verizon. I do see it displayed at the local stores however few sales people know much about it. It's really too bad because windows phone 8.1 is an excellent OS. I prefer it to iOS anything. I know I'm in the minority. It's just too bad Microsoft has done such a poor job getting the big carriers in the US to become educated and push the product.

That's just it. It WAS promoted. I saw several TV commercials as well as internet ads galore.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I live in the New York Metropolitan area and over a period of months had to go to six Verizon stores before I could even find an Icon to look at, much less that I could buy. I would walk in, take a quick look around the store looking for one (and sometimes any Windows phone), until a salesperson came up to me to ask if they could help. When I told them I was looking for an Icon or 930 they often had no idea of what I was talking about. Verizon never supported it well or stocked it much. Maybe they didn't have a lot of demand for it, or as much as for iPhone or Android, but not even stocking it in the store or promoting it, will certainly kill off any chance of it ever being sold

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I am so tired of this ridiculous line. I could and did walk into numerous VZW company stores in Phoenix and they never hesitated to sell me a WP device. In fact, the Scottsdale company store made a point of telling me how good the 928 was with 8.1 loaded.
Then Phoenix is one in a million. You can read it everywhere here where numerous people have been told by sales reps not to buy one. I myself have been to multiple stores where the sales rep looks at you with apathy when asked about a Windows Phone. I've witnessed people get turned away, and when they do talk about the phones, know nothing about them. I remember one sales rep telling a lady that her son would not be able to play games on a Windows Phone. It's astounding.

How would they know about the 928 with 8.1 on it considering it doesn't come with 8.1, nor is VZ releasing 8.1. You mean to tell me one of the reps actually cares enough to put the DP on the phone to get 8.1? Whew! I feel a dizzy spell coming on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss