Perhaps the ICON just has NOT sold well - completely missing from this AdDuplex Sept 24th Report?

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I said it was marginal. Marginal or not its better. The big improvement is that it supports SD cards. However the camera is crap. So nice and easy
Need a good camera -> Icon
Don't care about camera and want a lot of storage -> M8

I really wish people would get off the 800 vs 801 train....Any differences between the two is marginal and it is not like the 1520/Icon is a slow device. I suppose it is ironic considering that most m8 owners criticize lumia owners for praising Nokia apps/camera lol....but really the 801 is not that big of a difference to make me jump to a phone that has it just because 800 is slightly older :p

I do wonder what happens when a Lumia with the same specs comes out...I guess then they'll hold onto the speakers. LMFAO

At this rate, you may as well just get a Samsung ATIV Se which is what I push towards people now that the Icon is no more.

It's kind of sad that unfortunately most people either have to settle for the M8 or wait.....I feel bad for those people who recently purchased the Icon and discovered Verizon screwed them around.

One of my friend's today actually moved to an iPhone because they don't like HTC at all :( But what can you do.
I'm pushing the Samsung now that people know there is still an all around good windows phone that is comparable to the Icon still....even if I hate Samsung lol.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I had a hard time convincing the store I went to that they had the 928 in stock. I was there for over an hour. I decided not to repeat that with the Icon and just bought it online. As a result, I'm now convinced that buying a phone online is the only way to buy a phone.

I live in the New York Metropolitan area and over a period of months had to go to six Verizon stores before I could even find an Icon to look at, much less that I could buy. I would walk in, take a quick look around the store looking for one (and sometimes any Windows phone), until a salesperson came up to me to ask if they could help. When I told them I was looking for an Icon or 930 they often had no idea of what I was talking about. Verizon never supported it well or stocked it much. Maybe they didn't have a lot of demand for it, or as much as for iPhone or Android, but not even stocking it in the store or promoting it, will certainly kill off any chance of it ever being sold

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If I ever went that route, I would still buy that online. No reason to go to a store to buy a phone anymore. No waiting in line. No worrying about it being out of stock. Just go online and a couple of clicks later all done.

Unless you buy an iPhone 6 then they have plenty of phones.....

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps the Icon didnt sell well because of the complete lack of tv advertising. Look how haw much the htc phone is advertised right now. and compared to the iphone. Well you all know.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The Icon, the 1520, the other more expensive WPs are in the "Other category". They are a tiny minority of a tiny minority, with maybe 0.4% of the total smartphone market together. This has been documented for a long time on this site.
That the 928 shows up is probably because it's a chart of devices in use, not devices sold recently. Is the 928 currently selling better than the Icon? Maybe it is. But that chart doesn't say so.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Its been a while since I've seen one, but I've seen the ads for it. At launch they were there. It made a big deal about the camera. The ads were good and made it appealing.

Perhaps the Icon didnt sell well because of the complete lack of tv advertising. Look how haw much the htc phone is advertised right now. and compared to the iphone. Well you all know.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Its been a while since I've seen one, but I've seen the ads for it. At launch they were there. It made a big deal about the camera. The ads were good and made it appealing.

Yeah for all the complaints about not enough WP ads, I sure have seen tons of them for a long time. Whatever the issue of not selling enough units is, it's NOT for lack of TV ads.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the Icon - best phone ive ever owned. Camera is way better than IPhone 5s (debatable on the 6, 6+), no lag, fluid ui on 8.1 DP. I highly recommend you go and buy it from a Microsoft store, or from Microsoft store online. Also, you should get yourself Microsoft's insurance plan - its way better than the assurion crap that VZW gives you, its cheaper too. I bought mine full retail price from MS store so I could keep my unlimited data plan.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I've seen a ton of M8 for windows ads. They aren't nearly as good as the Icon ads, but much more frequent than the Icon ever was. I've also seen a lot of cortana vs siri ads and then they pick a random phone on AT&T that supports it at the end. Typically the 635.

Yeah for all the complaints about not enough WP ads, I sure have seen tons of them for a long time. Whatever the issue of not selling enough units is, it's NOT for lack of TV ads.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Plus, if the 830 is on the way, having that for your Nokiaphiles is a good move.

Don't forget that back in the day, the mid-tier 822 put Verizon at the top of the Ad Duplex heap, and it was for a while the top Windows Phone purveyor in the US (before the 520 and 521 knocked it off its perch). If I were a Verizon executive wanting to cater to Windows Phone a little bit (avery little bit), having a high tier Windows Phone that used the same accesories as one of your high end Android phones makes total sense, and trying to recreate some of that 822 magic also makes sense.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Plus, if the 830 is on the way, having that for your Nokiaphiles is a good move.

Don't forget that back in the day, the mid-tier 822 put Verizon at the top of the Ad Duplex heap, and it was for a while the top Windows Phone purveyor in the US (before the 520 and 521 knocked it off its perch). If I were a Verizon executive wanting to cater to Windows Phone a little bit (avery little bit), having a high tier Windows Phone that used the same accesories as one of your high end Android phones makes total sense, and trying to recreate some of that 822 magic also makes sense.

Even the top Windows Phone is virtually nothing compared to iPhones and Android flagships.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
This is true, sales wise, but I notice that Verizon and the rest aren't willing to just COMPLETELY abandon the platform. Verizon keeps hogging the high end Windows Phones as exclusive, so they must see some value to it, and back in the day, they promoted the 822 pretty hard (special Valentines day color and promotions, and the like). They must have some sort of plan.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The Icon/930 is superior to the iphone 6 in almost everyway both in hardware and software. Android is another story. I believe the SnapDragon 805 is far better than the 800 in the Icon/930. The Icon's camera is hard to beat though.

Even the top Windows Phone is virtually nothing compared to iPhones and Android flagships.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The Icon/930 is superior to the iphone 6 in almost everyway both in hardware and software. Android is another story. I believe the SnapDragon 805 is far better than the 800 in the Icon/930. The Icon's camera is hard to beat though.

I was talking about sales, not quality.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
This is true, sales wise, but I notice that Verizon and the rest aren't willing to just COMPLETELY abandon the platform. Verizon keeps hogging the high end Windows Phones as exclusive, so they must see some value to it, and back in the day, they promoted the 822 pretty hard (special Valentines day color and promotions, and the like). They must have some sort of plan.
They will always have exclusive varients because of their cdma radios. Noone else In the world uses that standard.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Sprint uses a different standard. Theirs communicares with one tower in a different system then Verizon. Hence with sprint why when a call is dropped it is immediate. It can't bounce tower to tower. They are not the same standard. Their limitations are why they have always struggled versus at&t, Verizon, nad tmobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium