The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-29-2014 04:08 PM
96 123 ...
tools
    Is it possible that despite all of our love for the ICON that it simply is NOT selling well - due to the fact that it is a Verizon EXCLUSIVE "Flagship" versus the 925 and - as we all know - JUST NOT heavily promoted by Verizon.

DOES NOT "answer" the facts that "we personally, and most of us" either read or had *BOTH* Microsoft + Verizon "GUARANTEE" upgrades to:

1) XLTE
    2) Cyan
    3) Denim

screenhunter_1726-oct.-13-20.35.jpg
    10-13-2014 10:49 PM
    Or due to the fact that Verizon's moronic sales reps refuse to sell them to regular customers and you have to fight to buy one? I'm thinking this.....

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
    10-13-2014 11:00 PM
    They stopped selling it! I have an HTX 8x and my contract ends this coming new years. I want a new phone. I don't know what to do. VZW is my only option because it's what my family uses. I was looking forward to getting a Lumia, but I guess I'll have to settle for the HTC M8 for windows phone. That phone is $200 on contract and only has a 4mp camera. I mean come on. That's ridiculous.
    Last edited by Christopher Micallef; 10-29-2014 at 01:13 AM.
    10-13-2014 11:24 PM
    Oooops ... here is the full article ... notice the TITLE

Windows Phone 8.1 on nearly 40% of Devices

http://www.windowscentral.com/new-st...ercent-devices

screenhunter_1727-oct.-13-21.26.jpg
    10-13-2014 11:31 PM
    Good theory, but I'm not sure the evidence supports it. First, this must be for WP8.1 DP and WP8.1/Cyan. Only AT&T Nokia devices have gotten the WP8.1/Cyan here in the US. Second, why retire a newer phone? The 928 is ALSO a Verizon exclusive, so why not pull the older phone? That would have bumped up sales for the Icon. There is more going on behind the scenes that we are not privy too. Getting actual sales figures for the Icon compared to the 928 would be better evidence.
    aximtreo, Ek-Balam and MikeSo like this.
    10-14-2014 12:00 AM
    Good theory, but I'm not sure the evidence supports it. First, this must be for WP8.1 DP and WP8.1/Cyan. Only AT&T Nokia devices have gotten the WP8.1/Cyan here in the US. Second, why retire a newer phone? The 928 is ALSO a Verizon exclusive, so why not pull the older phone? That would have bumped up sales for the Icon. There is more going on behind the scenes that we are not privy too. Getting actual sales figures for the Icon compared to the 928 would be better evidence.
    The 928 is also a Verizon "exclusive" - as I have one on a separate line - and its does NOT have Cyan yet. The 928 is still for sale on Verizon's website.
    10-14-2014 01:00 AM
    Just so we have all the facts, here is the official Microsoft "availability website"

Software update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia

screenhunter_1728-oct.-13-23.16.jpg
    10-14-2014 01:18 AM
    The Icon AND the L930 are probably included under the "Other" category.
    gernerttl likes this.
    10-14-2014 01:29 AM
    When looking up a phone on this chart it's better to see "Under testing" than "Not available".
    jlzimmerman likes this.
    10-14-2014 01:31 AM
    Also keep in mind that these are all phones running AdDuplex's SDK v.2. Not every device will have it.
    10-14-2014 01:32 AM
    I started this thread because I LOVE the ICON ... but, I am beginning to think that IT IS Microsoft who should be getting "blasted by us" and not just Verizon. There is "something" else going on here that the Press is not yet picking up and to WHY the Icon was "out-of-stock" for a few weeks on September, got re-stocked and NOW "reportedly retired"!

Seems to be more about "production" by Microsoft?
    10-14-2014 01:38 AM
    Slide #3 - "We have made every attempt to consolidate different phone model names under their canonical retail names, but it is possible that some of the rare variations were not accounted for."

I don't think the icon is realistically represented here.
    aximtreo and gernerttl like this.
    10-14-2014 06:52 AM
    Or due to the fact that Verizon's moronic sales reps refuse to sell them to regular customers and you have to fight to buy one? I'm thinking this.....

This. Carriers don't really reprimand reps for trashing Windows products. This is the number-one problem for Windows Phone. Microsoft should start sending its own secret shoppers to carrier stores.
    Joseph Anthony2 and M L like this.
    10-14-2014 10:01 AM
    They stopped selling it! I have an HTX 8x and my contract ends this coming new years. I want a new phone. I don't know what to do. VZW is my onl option because it's what my family uses. I was looking forward to getting a Lumia, but I guess I'll have to settle for the HTC M8 for windows phone. That phone is $200 on contract and only has a 4mp camera. I mean come on. That's ridiculous.
    I'd recommend the Samsung ativ se over the m8. Definitely.
    10-14-2014 10:09 AM
    Slide #3 - "We have made every attempt to consolidate different phone model names under their canonical retail names, but it is possible that some of the rare variations were not accounted for."

I don't think the icon is realistically represented here.
    The Verizon 928 and "old as the hills" ATT 920 are both represented?
    10-14-2014 10:23 AM
    The Verizon 928 and "old as the hills" ATT 920 are both represented?
    The 928 and the 920 aren't the same device. They're two entirely different pieces of hardware. The 930 and the Icon, however, are not. They're nearly identical.

And neither of them are represented here.
    10-14-2014 11:09 AM
    I'd recommend the Samsung ativ se over the m8. Definitely.
    Really? It's a nice phone, but so far, does not have 8.1 and with Verizon's track record, may not get it. The M8 is very nice and has 8.1 and the camera is decent, just not as good as the Icon.
    10-14-2014 11:27 AM

I am so tired of this ridiculous line. I could and did walk into numerous VZW company stores in Phoenix and they never hesitated to sell me a WP device. In fact, the Scottsdale company store made a point of telling me how good the 928 was with 8.1 loaded. The Icon is also still prominently on display next to the 928 and HTC in the west El Paso company store. The only device a VZW company employee ever tried to direct me from was the HTC Trophy and I should have listened.

As far as VZW marketing or not marketing WP, the attached images are the most recent emails from VZW and AT&T. Which one is telling me about WP devices? This is also not the first time I have received such emails and their snail mail flyers usually have one WP device listed as well.

screenshot-21-.jpgscreenshot-20-.jpg

I would love for someone to actually name a VZW COMPANY store that can be verified to have directed a customer to another device. I hear lots of claims that are never backed up by verifiable facts. BTW, if they are not company stores, that is no different than going into a Best Buy. They are franchises not owned by VZW, need to make a profit to survive, and are certainly going to direct people to the things that sell best and have the best margin. News flash, it is the nature of retail in a capitalist society.

As for who should market the Icon, 925, 928, etc., etc., compare the number of ads BY Samsung for its devices to those BY Microsoft for WP devices. For that matter compare the number of Surface or Office 365 ads by Microsoft to those for their own phones. VZW has advertised WP at a level commensurate with being the number three player. Beyond that it is on the manufacturer. I am sorry to all those who seem offended by the fact that some people do not like your specific phone but 1) this is not a conspiracy 2) wide distribution vs exclusivity does not guarantee success (it can actually have the opposite effect), and 3) it really is not a family member, just an inanimate object. In this case, in all likelihood the Icon was retired because very few people bought it and/or it has a flaw they do not want to publicize.
    FinancialP likes this.
    10-14-2014 11:59 AM
    I would love for someone to actually name a VZW COMPANY store that can be verified to have directed a customer to another device.
    1. This is not an appropriate venue for the discussion of verifiability with respect to the philosophy of science.
    2. Strict adherence to verifiability (such as that of A. J. Ayer) hinders the process of scientific enquiry.
    3. 176 Terrace Ln
      Morristown, TN 37813

A VZW Corporate location. Employees do not know how to unlock the devices, and will actively direct customers to Android devices (because they know that there's no point in actually attempting to persuade someone who doesn't immediately drift towards the corner with the iPhones to purchase one).
    10-14-2014 12:18 PM
    In fact, the Scottsdale company store made a point of telling me how good the 928 was with 8.1 loaded
    And your are WHO again ... there is NO Cyan for the 928 as we have 928s and Icons !
    10-14-2014 12:27 PM
    Really? It's a nice phone, but so far, does not have 8.1 and with Verizon's track record, may not get it. The M8 is very nice and has 8.1 and the camera is decent, just not as good as the Icon.
    You can get the developer preview on the Samsung and you can get a much better camera on the ativ than the m8 plus Samsung is a tad more reliable than HTC is. I'd definitely take my chances on a se than m8
    10-14-2014 01:43 PM
    You can get the developer preview on the Samsung and you can get a much better camera on the ativ than the m8 plus Samsung is a tad more reliable than HTC is. I'd definitely take my chances on a se than m8
    On the contrary - I think that HTC's build quality is better, and the camera can be just as good if used correctly.

I'd take the Icon over both in a heartbeat. And I'd take the 1520.3 over all of the above without a single hesitation.
    DavidinCT and Zippier like this.
    10-14-2014 01:57 PM
    On the contrary - I think that HTC's build quality is better, and the camera can be just as good if used correctly.

I'd take the Icon over both in a heartbeat. And I'd take the 1520.3 over all of the above without a single hesitation.

I do think the m8 has the better build quality but I like phones that can take pictures without having to make sure you're doing it right. It just works, ya know?

But definitely take an icon over both. I'd settle for the ativ se over the two.no matter how the m8 owners try to slice it the camera is weak.
    10-14-2014 02:00 PM
    They stopped selling it! I have an HTX 8x and my contract ends this coming new years. I want a new phone. I don't know what to do. VZW is my onl option because it's what my family uses. I was looking forward to getting a Lumia, but I guess I'll have to settle for the HTC M8 for windows phone. That phone is $200 on contract and only has a 4mp camera. I mean come on. That's ridiculous.
    I'd still get the ICON. Unless you totally don't care about the camera. Only $99 and a better phone, IMO.
    gernerttl likes this.
    10-14-2014 03:19 PM
    Is it possible that those that buy smartphones in general have a purpose for their use? That is to say, is it more likely people who buy the 521 are looking to play games and do facebook, people that buy the 1050 would do more surfing and uploading photos? Conversely, people that buy the Icon are more conservative types. Those that will use the Icon to make calls for the most part. Stuff that Ad Duplex will most likely miss?
    Last edited by Jazmac; 10-14-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    10-14-2014 05:07 PM
96 123 ...