Can I Get Cyan without Verizon?

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Well, technically you can via what Microsoft calls "developer preview", I believe as other on this forum HAVE done it.

I would guess that it VOIDS the warranty, but you can always "RESET to factory" if you have to send it in for repairs. I has a problem with a 928 - just backed up everything - BEFORE sending it is and did a factory reset.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It might be possible for MS to do this with AT&T or T-Mobile, but not Verizon or Sprint. CDMA keys are controlled by them and without the keys it just won't work.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
With devices that have multiple variants, like how the Lumia 920 is available in a ROGERS, AT&T, Int'l variant in various countries etc, its possible (the "price" varies though) by flashing the entire phone to another country, service provider.

However the Icon is alone and with no similar recourse.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re:

THANKS, SpaceyO ... I love to "stand corrected" with great news like this! So, I read that "Denim" is scheduled to rollout soon for DP ... HOW, do we know, IF this will work on the Icon?

I mean 8.1.1 ...

Denim will not roll out for WP under DP. WP8.1.1 is already out. We're waiting for the official roll out WP8.1.1 now and for update 2 for DP.

Please understand this. DP is for the OS only. It doesn't include any firmware updates. Cyan, Denim and whatever came before are firmware updates supplied by Nokia only. The OS and firmware are released together when you get the official update.

Also to clarify something. With some carriers and some countries, running DP will void your warranty. So it's not black and white but you can remove DP with Nokia Software Recovery Tool so it's really a non issue unless your phone is really messed.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Developer Preview is the Windows operating system. Cyan is device-specific firmware (drivers, etc.) and not available from Developer Preview.

If you want to get technical here. The Developer Preview is a program created by Microsoft to allow early adopters/developers to access future updates for Windows Phone.

The thing that is referred to as the DP here would be called Windows Phone 8.1 Preview, as said before, this is the same software that is in Cyan but, with out the firmware that would update hardware, drivers, and hardware based features on the phone.

Developer Preview is not the OS, it's a program by Microsoft...

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
It might be possible for MS to do this with AT&T or T-Mobile, but not Verizon or Sprint. CDMA keys are controlled by them and without the keys it just won't work.

This is the first explanation that I have heard that could explain why Microsoft might not be able to furnish Cyan without Verizon. But doesn't the PFD app bypass OTA updates? Are you saying that the CDMA keys are a part of the Cyan firmware that must be added by Verizon?

I am not clear on exactly what the issue is that you are describing. Could you elaborate?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

But... since Microsoft(NOK) built Black, you'd have thought they'd have all that and be able to build Cyan.

It's more likely contractual. We know Verizon have to approve all devices. And being CDMA makes them rather unique... Harder for Microsoft to say "50 other companies have approved this, sign here". Hopefully Microsoft's contract also says that Verizon have to approve so many updates they submit, ensuring Verizon provide testing resources.

But... if you don't like Verizon, speak with your wallet. After slamming on Twitter.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
DP updates files not firmware. Black has the keys in it.

This is the first explanation that I have heard that could explain why Microsoft might not be able to furnish Cyan without Verizon. But doesn't the PFD app bypass OTA updates? Are you saying that the CDMA keys are a part of the Cyan firmware that must be added by Verizon?

I am not clear on exactly what the issue is that you are describing. Could you elaborate?

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It works based on a certificate. You need to encrypt them in a way that allows the device to read the information, but can't be duplicated by OEM's. This happens on the internet all the time. Signed software works the same way. If you examine various applications you'll see that photoshop is made by adobe. If you attempt to alter the program in anyway (IE create a virus) the signature disapears. I would imagine CDMA keys work the same way. Its probably decrypted by the tower not the device.

But... since Microsoft(NOK) built Black, you'd have thought they'd have all that and be able to build Cyan.

It's more likely contractual. We know Verizon have to approve all devices. And being CDMA makes them rather unique... Harder for Microsoft to say "50 other companies have approved this, sign here". Hopefully Microsoft's contract also says that Verizon have to approve so many updates they submit, ensuring Verizon provide testing resources.

But... if you don't like Verizon, speak with your wallet. After slamming on Twitter.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Cyan, Demin, Etc, is the FIRMWARE from Nokia(now Microsoft)

Windows Phone 8.1.1 (Soon to be 8.1.2 hopefully) is the SOFTWARE.

They are NOT the same thing, though they are released at the same time by the US carriers.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I was told after Microsoft Support called me about a month ago ( loveyourlumia@microsoft) that in the near future (whatever that means) with NOKIA Software Recovery Tool you'll be able to load Cyan. That's exactly what I was told, I have no proof other than what I was told.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel