11-03-2014 04:35 PM
90 1234
tools
    Mary Jo Foley, Paul Thurott, & Leo Laporte had a nice segment, or rant, ripping Verizon for how they've handled this thing. I'd encourage you all to check it out. It's about 40 minutes into the show, I think. Windows Weekly 384 | TWiT.TV
    I had just finished watching that episode of windows weekly and came back to forums to post a link to it but you beat me to it

I figured the Icon retirement would come up in that episode, it's interesting to see such an industry insider like Mary Jo struggling with the same choice many of us are thinking about during this Verizon Icon fiasco: stick with Verizon and have the best cell coverage but have abysmal customer service or switch to At&t and get spotty coverage but better support for WP

that was an interesting tidbit about the 930 possibly coming to At&t, I would definitely be more interested in that form factor than the 1520 for me personally and that phone being available would make the switch to At&t an easier choice to make imho
    NancyAnnL and felickz like this.
    10-16-2014 07:56 PM
    I understand doing this is a small thing, but it's something that needs to be done. Twitter is the perfect public forum to call out companies on their poor customer service. It doesn't have to be rude. Just let them know what you/we expect.

Sure, we could vote with our wallets, but some folks can't do that because of the sad state of wireless coverage, monopolies, and lock-in in the US.

I don't like that Verizon is slow to release updates. It's difficult to know what's going on. Maybe they have a very thorough test team. If that's the case, I appreciate that. If that were the case and I were managing them, I'd be advertising it as extra value they're providing me. Maybe they don't have a dedicated team for testing. Or maybe it's one person that's overloaded and WP isn't as much of a priority as the other platforms. Who knows.

I don't hate VZW for halting sales of the Icon. I'm guessing it was a financial disaster--either it didn't sell well or it had issues (maybe wi-fi) and the return rate was high. If it were poor sales or very high return rate, I'd probably make the same decision. However, I do feel that they have an obligation to support the phone for at least a year (you might even argue two) and support their customers that are using it given the lock-in we have in the US wireless market.

My biggest issue with them is that they don't communicate. That's just not acceptable. They need to let us know what's going on. Is the Lumia Icon done for good or will they continue to provide firmware and OS updates through its first or second year since initial release?
    Kieta, JEiffel and JBM425 like this.
    10-16-2014 08:26 PM
    10-16-2014 09:25 PM
    This is the lip service I got back from VZ. It's better than nothing I suppose. The tiny URL goes to verizonwireless.com/news which has zero stories or info about WP or WP 8.1.

wp_ss_20141016_0001.jpg
    10-17-2014 08:33 AM
    I just put mine in. I announced that its the reason I'm switching to AT&T.
    10-17-2014 11:19 AM
    No that IS nothing since that's the same BS they've been feeding us for months.

This is the lip service I got back from VZ. It's better than nothing I suppose. The tiny URL goes to verizonwireless.com/news which has zero stories or info about WP or WP 8.1.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20141016_0001.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	84917
    10-17-2014 11:19 AM
    I'm tweeting them but it seems we need more people on board to make this effective!
    JBM425 likes this.
    10-17-2014 12:37 PM
    I left ATT in July after 12 long years with them. Trust me, the grass is all dead and tore up over there too.
    10-17-2014 12:38 PM
    Just ignore people who instigate for the sake of instigating. Our beef is not with them, and we shouldn't allow them to make it about them.

Everyone with a half an idea of what being a Windows Phone customer on Verizon is like knows that Verizon has been nothing but an awful partner to Microsoft. They've sold out their Windows Phone customers nearly every chance that they've had. Our operating system of choice is not their forte, and thus we as consumers get the shaft.

Mary Jo Foley, Paul Thurott, & Leo Laporte had a nice segment, or rant, ripping Verizon for how they've handled this thing. I'd encourage you all to check it out. It's about 40 minutes into the show, I think. Windows Weekly 384 | TWiT.TV

Social media is a great place to make noise. Especially if that noise is uniform and loud. It may not convince them to change their plan, but it may cause them to reconsider their business practices if their brand is being dragged through the mud.
    This
    10-17-2014 01:53 PM
    Yea, I watched the podcast with Mary Jo Foley, Paul Thurott, & Leo Laporte.....Mary Jo Foley is pissed off... At least there is a lot of press now (she is pretty high up when it comes to MS news and issues being heard), so MAYBE there will be an official notice some time soon.

As for ATT, If they would MATCH my unlimited data for the same price, I would move over to them. Tired of this BS from Verizon...
    felickz and JBM425 like this.
    10-17-2014 02:26 PM
    I sent a Tweet today with a question for AT&T and let Verizon know about it....
    wp_ss_20141017_0001.jpg
    Indistinguishable and JBM425 like this.
    10-17-2014 03:01 PM
    Oh, I am. I'm out of there at the end of my contract in February. But until then, I'm going to do my best to be a thorn in their side. Will it get my phone updated faster? Probably not. Will it make Verizon look worse in the process? I hope so.
    You can't possibly make Verizon look any worse... They're doing a great job of it themselves!
    10-17-2014 03:45 PM
    Good way to do this: Load up @VZWsupport tweets. Look for tweets where they are trying to convince a twitter user to switch to Verizon. Reply to their tweet with something like "Don't go with Verizon they discontinue phones in 6 months and never update them like the Lumia Icon."

Enough of these complaints to VZWsupport marketing tweets to others will make it very difficult for them to maintain a good image on twitter and perhaps create some pressure to do something. People aren't going to switch if they see drama unfolding in response to a Verizon marketing tweet to them.
    Indistinguishable and raqball like this.
    10-17-2014 04:42 PM
    I left ATT in July after 12 long years with them. Trust me, the grass is all dead and tore up over there too.
    It's not greener? Dang! They all have their issues as well as any company ever, anyplace, anywhere. Coverage IMO is numero uno, and who ever has the most and best gets my money.
    10-17-2014 05:31 PM
    3 tweets. I hope it helps
    10-17-2014 05:44 PM
    All the cell phone companies suck in one way or another. I believe T-Mobile has forced AT&T to reinvent themselves though. I used to think AT&T was the worst, but now I know its Verizon.
    JBM425 likes this.
    10-18-2014 12:03 AM
    I posted 2 tweets to voice this outrage!
    JBM425 likes this.
    10-18-2014 01:00 AM
    All the cell phone companies suck in one way or another. I believe T-Mobile has forced AT&T to reinvent themselves though. I used to think AT&T was the worst, but now I know its Verizon.
    Networks aside, they all have their problems. A lot of people will have problems with Customer Service, you will talk to 10 different people and get 10 different answers. If your happy with the network, pay your bill on time and don't call customer service much(pretty much ever), most people will say their carrier is good. You also have to look at from a aspect of how we are, we are update because of the lack of support on a device, we are up and arms about it (Verizon sucks) but, if you were the type to buy a phone for what it was, not worry about updates, besides a time to time bad rep when calling, you might actually think Verizon or AT&T was good.No company is perfect, you just need to pick a company that the issues are acceptable to you in this case, the past has shown, AT&T actually supports WP devices and Verizon does not.
    JBM425 likes this.
    10-18-2014 07:32 AM
    Networks aside, they all have their problems. A lot of people will have problems with Customer Service, you will talk to 10 different people and get 10 different answers. If your happy with the network, pay your bill on time and don't call customer service much(pretty much ever), most people will say their carrier is good. You also have to look at from a aspect of how we are, we are update because of the lack of support on a device, we are up and arms about it (Verizon sucks) but, if you were the type to buy a phone for what it was, not worry about updates, besides a time to time bad rep when calling, you might actually think Verizon or AT&T was good.No company is perfect, you just need to pick a company that the issues are acceptable to you in this case, the past has shown, AT&T actually supports WP devices and Verizon does not.
    Good in theory but some of us purchased the Icon (in my case, it was free) from salespersons claiming the 8.1 update was right around the corner. With press releases from Windows claiming the Icon would get cyan and denim, one could see our frustration with Verizon (especially to those that signed a two year agreement). In hindsight, never trust a salesperson or a windows press release. I suppose we were naive.
    JBM425 likes this.
    10-18-2014 07:44 AM
    Is it a consensus if there was an update it would be on a Thursday?
    10-18-2014 07:46 AM
    Is it a consensus if there was an update it would be on a Thursday?
    Tuesday*

And, no... I wouldn't say consensus. But some people do think that if an update is coming, it's coming on a Tuesday.
    GoJays likes this.
    10-18-2014 11:02 AM

Haha, AT&T responded to my tweet with a discount code! They are having a field day with all our tweets...
    felickz likes this.
    10-18-2014 11:16 AM
    Yea, I watched the podcast with Mary Jo Foley, Paul Thurott, & Leo Laporte.....Mary Jo Foley is pissed off... At least there is a lot of press now (she is pretty high up when it comes to MS news and issues being heard), so MAYBE there will be an official notice some time soon.

As for ATT, If they would MATCH my unlimited data for the same price, I would move over to them. Tired of this BS from Verizon...
    I watched the podcast also ... Mary Jo is pissed as she both has an Icon herself and needs Verizon coverage in NYC. Mary Jo also has great connections with Microsoft ... so, it's only a matter of time before she gets the rest of this story!

NICE FIND !!!
    felickz, DavidinCT and JBM425 like this.
    10-18-2014 11:59 AM
    I watched the podcast also ... Mary Jo is pissed as she both has an Icon herself and needs Verizon coverage in NYC. Mary Jo also has great connections with Microsoft ... so, it's only a matter of time before she gets the rest of this story!

NICE FIND !!!
    Weekly listener here, she has same sentiment as me... Now my choices are android or ATT.

What is missing is someone with influences at Verizon. As she said, Microsoft just deferred all cyan availability questions to Verizon.
    10-18-2014 01:21 PM
    I'm in the same boat as her, been looking at Android more lately. I hate to do it but it may have to be a option for me......
    10-18-2014 07:41 PM
90 1234