11-03-2014 04:35 PM
90 1234
tools
    I'm in the same boat as her, been looking at Android more lately. I hate to do it but it may have to be a option for me......
    Verizon isn't really any better with Android, only good with iPhone. I'm more and more of the belief its best to just buy an unlocked and unbranded Latin American variant of the Windows Phone you want and use it on Cricket, all the benefits of AT&T's network with none of the strings attached, and much cheaper.
    raqball likes this.
    10-18-2014 08:33 PM
    I'm in the same boat as her, been looking at Android more lately. I hate to do it but it may have to be a option for me......
    I have said this before but even with the abysmal way Verizon treats it's customers and how the company marginalizes WP in general I still enjoy the platform much more than I ever did in all the years I used droid with versions eclair through kit-kat

I would rather switch to a carrier that actually gives a damn about WP than switch back to android
    Blkacesvf41 and aximtreo like this.
    10-19-2014 12:39 PM
    I have said this before but even with the abysmal way Verizon treats it's customers and how the company marginalizes WP in general I still enjoy the platform much more than I ever did in all the years I used droid with versions eclair through kit-kat

I would rather switch to a carrier that actually gives a damn about WP than switch back to android
    Amen. As Thurrott said, I'd much sooner consider another carrier than any other platform. I'll stick with Windows Phone for ad long as it exists in the market.

Of course, I only have that option because I live in Chicago. AT&T has decent coverage here.
    Blkacesvf41 and jlzimmerman like this.
    10-19-2014 12:48 PM
    Amen. As Thurrott said, I'd much sooner consider another carrier than any other platform. I'll stick with Windows Phone for ad long as it exists in the market.

Of course, I only have that option because I live in Chicago. AT&T has decent coverage here.
    I hear ya fellow Chicagoan. That's exactly what I'm gonna do as soon as the 830 comes to AT&T. Goodbye Verizon! I like your thinking btw, you must be a northsider!
    10-19-2014 04:43 PM
    Ive ordered my 1520.3. as soon as it arrives I'm on ATT.

I hear ya fellow Chicagoan. That's exactly what I'm gonna do as soon as the 830 comes to AT&T. Goodbye Verizon! I like your thinking btw, you must be a northsider!
    10-20-2014 12:23 AM
    Northsider by location, southsider at heart ;).
    aximtreo and Blkacesvf41 like this.
    10-20-2014 07:47 AM
    Yea, the only phone you can count on getting timely updates from Verizon is the iPhones because Apple has a contract with Verizon that they MUST release updates on the scheduled day nationwide.

Wish MS had the pull to make this happen....in the PC world they do but, when it comes to phones, nope...

I've pressured MS and Verizon, in fact most of the posts here with the hashtag of #WeWantCyan I re-tweeted.... I'm @TheCoolDave
    10-20-2014 03:00 PM
    Just found this thread, so I'll start sending my #WeWantCyan tweets. I mean, we can complain all we want on this forum, but does anyone at MS or Verizon Wireless even know that WP Central exists? Twitter and Facebook are the only ways to get their attention. It may be quixotic, but what else can a VZW user do short of cancelling service? Now, if AT&T released their version of the Icon/930 with Cyan or Denim and 8.1, all bets are off...
    10-20-2014 05:41 PM
    Just found this thread, so I'll start sending my #WeWantCyan tweets. I mean, we can complain all we want on this forum, but does anyone at MS or Verizon Wireless even know that WP Central exists? Twitter and Facebook are the only ways to get their attention. It may be quixotic, but what else can a VZW user do short of cancelling service? Now, if AT&T released their version of the Icon/930 with Cyan or Denim and 8.1, all bets are off...
    Microsoft reads this forum. Microsoft workers post on here and a Microsoft boss has posted here once
    cory1717 likes this.
    10-20-2014 05:55 PM
    Trust me, Microsoft knows by now that people are upset about this and still the fact that Verizon has not said anything. If you did get in touch with someone at Microsoft, even Joe Belifore, he would tell you to talk to Verizon, it's not Microsoft who decided to "retire" the ICON. In fact they still promote it on the Microsoftstore.com

This is 150% Verizon's fault and it's Verizon who will be the one to say anything on this subject. It still a shocker to MS press that Verizon has not said crap on this subject.

Does anyone really understand what "retire" on Verizon actually means anyway ? Is than an official discontinued or is that, just that series is not longer available but, the model is not discontinued (meaning it could get a re-release with Cyan/Denim)
    MikeSo likes this.
    10-20-2014 07:14 PM
    I see it as meaning there won't be even 1 more 929 manufactured ever again. If it gets updated or not is a different matter. In the meantime my 1520.3 should be here on Thursday.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-20-2014 09:13 PM
    I know it's been said a few times, but I dont see it being out of the question that VZW is going to re-release the Icon as the 930 once Denim (i dont think we will ever see cyan) is released. Same phone just with the updates pre-installed. The icon is the only WP i ever see in the wild i cant imagine that the sales were THAT bad. Let's not forget that the hardware in the icon isn't even dated yet. They are playing this one close to the chest. I'm just ready for the bomb to drop.
    10-21-2014 08:45 AM
    It can't I'm reasonably certain the 930 isn't a CDMA phone unless they want it to be the first LTE only phone (which is silly since it still has 2g/3g GSM radios). They could release a 938 or something like that, but seeing as how the 929 is already high end and almost identical to the 930, I don't see the point.

I know it's been said a few times, but I dont see it being out of the question that VZW is going to re-release the Icon as the 930 once Denim (i dont think we will ever see cyan) is released. Same phone just with the updates pre-installed. The icon is the only WP i ever see in the wild i cant imagine that the sales were THAT bad. Let's not forget that the hardware in the icon isn't even dated yet. They are playing this one close to the chest. I'm just ready for the bomb to drop.
    10-21-2014 10:57 AM
    I don't think a re-release would happen. Why would it. The ICON is going to get the Cyan and Denim and WP 10 by the fact it's a high end WP phone. Discontinuing it just made more people upset and some smart ones to put their money where their mouth is and move to another carrier. My 1520.3 is due Friday of this week.
    10-21-2014 11:25 AM
    I don't think a re-release would happen. Why would it. The ICON is going to get the Cyan and Denim and WP 10 by the fact it's a high end WP phone. Discontinuing it just made more people upset and some smart ones to put their money where their mouth is and move to another carrier. My 1520.3 is due Friday of this week.
    Where did you end up getting it from? Couldn't find one myself
    10-21-2014 12:18 PM
    I wish google or samsung would try this with android. If they won, then MS could sue Verizon and win because at that point only WP would be required to go through Verizon's lame testing process.

Yea, the only phone you can count on getting timely updates from Verizon is the iPhones because Apple has a contract with Verizon that they MUST release updates on the scheduled day nationwide.

Wish MS had the pull to make this happen....in the PC world they do but, when it comes to phones, nope...

I've pressured MS and Verizon, in fact most of the posts here with the hashtag of #WeWantCyan I re-tweeted.... I'm @TheCoolDave
    10-21-2014 01:07 PM
    no chance in hell of it officially getting W10. (WP no longer exists) The 930 certainly will. The Icon will probably get it unofficially through DP, but if they don't give us Cyan, I expect it to be FAR worse than the DP experience people have had.

10-21-2014 01:09 PM
    I am new here, so it won't let me post links. Please help spread the word and LIKE this Facebook page and share... add your comments.

"Verizon Please Update My Windows Phone NOW" - facebook DOT com/VerizonUpdateMyWindowsPhone
    10-21-2014 04:40 PM
    no chance in hell of it officially getting W10. (WP no longer exists) The 930 certainly will. The Icon will probably get it unofficially through DP, but if they don't give us Cyan, I expect it to be FAR worse than the DP experience people have had.
    I think it's time for a lawsuit.... If Windows 10 hits Windows Phone before ICON was released 2 years, I think we should.

The US contract term is 2 years, and I expect support for devices for the term of 2 years.
    10-21-2014 04:47 PM
    I think it's time for a lawsuit.... If Windows 10 hits Windows Phone before ICON was released 2 years, I think we should.

The US contract term is 2 years, and I expect support for devices for the term of 2 years.
    Are the manufacturers and/or carriers obligated to provide updates? I don't think there would be a leg to stand on unless Verizon promised the Cyan update.

A friend of mine recently discovered that he at one time owned an Android phone that was part of a class action lawsuit against Motorola. Motorola had promised to provide an update to Froyo (IIRC) for that particular device, but never did. From what I understand it was the promise of the update that incriminated Motorola.
    10-21-2014 05:48 PM
    All interesting thoughts and arguments people. Like I said, I for one am done with Verizon and will be going over to AT&T the moment the 830 hits their stores shelves. I only have 3 more months worth of contract so I'll eat the ETF. Loss of revenue I think, is the only way to get through to Verizon.
    10-21-2014 06:26 PM
    So, I ask on Facebook if Nokia Icon users will get cyan/8.1 update or be given an upgrade to another device since the icon is being discontinued and I get....

We want you to enjoy ASAP! No news yet regarding the update or trade in offers, but you can continue to check the website and sign up for email updates Verizon Wireless for the latest info.
    - Ashley
    10-21-2014 06:29 PM
    Are the manufacturers and/or carriers obligated to provide updates? I don't think there would be a leg to stand on unless Verizon promised the Cyan update.

A friend of mine recently discovered that he at one time owned an Android phone that was part of a class action lawsuit against Motorola. Motorola had promised to provide an update to Froyo (IIRC) for that particular device, but never did. From what I understand it was the promise of the update that incriminated Motorola.
    Yes they have promised 8.1, Cyan and Denim.
    10-22-2014 08:56 AM
    Yes they have promised 8.1, Cyan and Denim.
    Verizon promised the updates, or are you basing this on Microsoft's promise that all WP8 devices will be upgradable?
    10-22-2014 10:29 AM
    Even if they promised Cyan and Denim, I don't think its legally binding unless its in a contract somewhere. I bought the Icon separately so I know for a fact its not in my contract and Cyan hadn't been announced when I bought my 928. I seriously doubt that its in any Icon owner's contract. I'm more and more sure that Denim will never hit the Icon. I'm starting to think that Cyan isn't either. This is why I have a 1520.3 arriving in the next couple of days and I'm on AT&T when it comes.
    10-22-2014 10:40 AM
90 1234