Jump on Twitter to pressure Verizon to release the Cyan update

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Actually don't even do that, because you can't flash AT&T roms to non-AT&T phones, and non-AT&T roms to AT&T phones. If you are going T-Mobile, I'd try to save up the money to buy an unlocked phone outright that will get updates without the carrier in the middle. I know there is a 1520.3 out there that gets updates from Microsoft.

I actually think you'll see Microsoft start selling unlocked phones through the Microsoft Store as they get a bit older, like there are doing with the 1020 now. Hopefully we see them continue to sell the Icon, and they decide to provide support for it going forward.

I flashed my AT&T 920 with Rogers. Or is Rogers a sub of AT&T?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
In before the haters.

Listen, if you think that making a scene on twitter DOESN'T make a difference - then don't do it. But let people do what they want to. We Icon users are getting fed a line of pure bull from the companies that are supposed to be supporting our product. And that means we can be outraged.

I've tweeted Verizon and Nokia handles numerous times. And I won't stop.

What precisely is the line of bull you have been fed? I believe what has been said is the device is being retired and that it will be supported, much like the 822 continues to be supported. Where exactly is the bull? As for Cyan being late, yes that is true. Of course AT&T was late with Black but angry VZW customers don't want to pay any attention to stuff such as that fact. Tweet to your heart's content and they will ignore every one.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Let's make some noise! Tweet @Verizon and @VZWSupport daily asking for the Cyan update for the Icon. Add the tag #WeWantCyan.

This phone is less than a year old and it's an excellent phone overall. I'm fine with them discontinuing sales of the phone, but I expect them to support it and update it for at least a year. Anything else is just poor customer service.

I want the Cyan update to enable BT 4.0 LE (to use the Treasure Tag), SensorCore, Miracast, and the camera tweaks. I just upgraded from my 928 because those were advertised as coming to the Icon.

Can you please provide a link to an actual advertisement listing the things you mention as coming to the phone?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just ignore people who instigate for the sake of instigating. Our beef is not with them, and we shouldn't allow them to make it about them.

Everyone with a half an idea of what being a Windows Phone customer on Verizon is like knows that Verizon has been nothing but an awful partner to Microsoft. They've sold out their Windows Phone customers nearly every chance that they've had. Our operating system of choice is not their forte, and thus we as consumers get the shaft.

Mary Jo Foley, Paul Thurott, & Leo Laporte had a nice segment, or rant, ripping Verizon for how they've handled this thing. I'd encourage you all to check it out. It's about 40 minutes into the show, I think. Windows Weekly 384 | TWiT.TV

Social media is a great place to make noise. Especially if that noise is uniform and loud. It may not convince them to change their plan, but it may cause them to reconsider their business practices if their brand is being dragged through the mud.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Mary Jo Foley, Paul Thurott, & Leo Laporte had a nice segment, or rant, ripping Verizon for how they've handled this thing. I'd encourage you all to check it out. It's about 40 minutes into the show, I think. Windows Weekly 384 | TWiT.TV

I had just finished watching that episode of windows weekly and came back to forums to post a link to it but you beat me to it :cool:

I figured the Icon retirement would come up in that episode, it's interesting to see such an industry insider like Mary Jo struggling with the same choice many of us are thinking about during this Verizon Icon fiasco: stick with Verizon and have the best cell coverage but have abysmal customer service or switch to At&t and get spotty coverage but better support for WP

that was an interesting tidbit about the 930 possibly coming to At&t, I would definitely be more interested in that form factor than the 1520 for me personally and that phone being available would make the switch to At&t an easier choice to make imho

jwpear

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I understand doing this is a small thing, but it's something that needs to be done. Twitter is the perfect public forum to call out companies on their poor customer service. It doesn't have to be rude. Just let them know what you/we expect.

Sure, we could vote with our wallets, but some folks can't do that because of the sad state of wireless coverage, monopolies, and lock-in in the US.

I don't like that Verizon is slow to release updates. It's difficult to know what's going on. Maybe they have a very thorough test team. If that's the case, I appreciate that. If that were the case and I were managing them, I'd be advertising it as extra value they're providing me. Maybe they don't have a dedicated team for testing. Or maybe it's one person that's overloaded and WP isn't as much of a priority as the other platforms. Who knows.

I don't hate VZW for halting sales of the Icon. I'm guessing it was a financial disaster--either it didn't sell well or it had issues (maybe wi-fi) and the return rate was high. If it were poor sales or very high return rate, I'd probably make the same decision. However, I do feel that they have an obligation to support the phone for at least a year (you might even argue two) and support their customers that are using it given the lock-in we have in the US wireless market.

My biggest issue with them is that they don't communicate. That's just not acceptable. They need to let us know what's going on. Is the Lumia Icon done for good or will they continue to provide firmware and OS updates through its first or second year since initial release?

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
This is the lip service I got back from VZ. It's better than nothing I suppose. The tiny URL goes to verizonwireless.com/news which has zero stories or info about WP or WP 8.1.

wp_ss_20141016_0001.jpg

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Just ignore people who instigate for the sake of instigating. Our beef is not with them, and we shouldn't allow them to make it about them.

Everyone with a half an idea of what being a Windows Phone customer on Verizon is like knows that Verizon has been nothing but an awful partner to Microsoft. They've sold out their Windows Phone customers nearly every chance that they've had. Our operating system of choice is not their forte, and thus we as consumers get the shaft.

Social media is a great place to make noise. Especially if that noise is uniform and loud. It may not convince them to change their plan, but it may cause them to reconsider their business practices if their brand is being dragged through the mud.

This

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I watched the podcast with Mary Jo Foley, Paul Thurott, & Leo Laporte.....Mary Jo Foley is pissed off... At least there is a lot of press now (she is pretty high up when it comes to MS news and issues being heard), so MAYBE there will be an official notice some time soon.

As for ATT, If they would MATCH my unlimited data for the same price, I would move over to them. Tired of this BS from Verizon...

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I am. I'm out of there at the end of my contract in February. But until then, I'm going to do my best to be a thorn in their side. Will it get my phone updated faster? Probably not. Will it make Verizon look worse in the process? I hope so.
You can't possibly make Verizon look any worse... They're doing a great job of it themselves! :grin:

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Good way to do this: Load up @VZWsupport tweets. Look for tweets where they are trying to convince a twitter user to switch to Verizon. Reply to their tweet with something like "Don't go with Verizon they discontinue phones in 6 months and never update them like the Lumia Icon."

Enough of these complaints to VZWsupport marketing tweets to others will make it very difficult for them to maintain a good image on twitter and perhaps create some pressure to do something. People aren't going to switch if they see drama unfolding in response to a Verizon marketing tweet to them.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I left ATT in July after 12 long years with them. Trust me, the grass is all dead and tore up over there too.
It's not greener? Dang! They all have their issues as well as any company ever, anyplace, anywhere. Coverage IMO is numero uno, and who ever has the most and best gets my money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)