Jump on Twitter to pressure Verizon to release the Cyan update

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I see it as meaning there won't be even 1 more 929 manufactured ever again. If it gets updated or not is a different matter. In the meantime my 1520.3 should be here on Thursday.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I know it's been said a few times, but I dont see it being out of the question that VZW is going to re-release the Icon as the 930 once Denim (i dont think we will ever see cyan) is released. Same phone just with the updates pre-installed. The icon is the only WP i ever see in the wild i cant imagine that the sales were THAT bad. Let's not forget that the hardware in the icon isn't even dated yet. They are playing this one close to the chest. I'm just ready for the bomb to drop.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It can't I'm reasonably certain the 930 isn't a CDMA phone unless they want it to be the first LTE only phone (which is silly since it still has 2g/3g GSM radios). They could release a 938 or something like that, but seeing as how the 929 is already high end and almost identical to the 930, I don't see the point.

I know it's been said a few times, but I dont see it being out of the question that VZW is going to re-release the Icon as the 930 once Denim (i dont think we will ever see cyan) is released. Same phone just with the updates pre-installed. The icon is the only WP i ever see in the wild i cant imagine that the sales were THAT bad. Let's not forget that the hardware in the icon isn't even dated yet. They are playing this one close to the chest. I'm just ready for the bomb to drop.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

I don't think a re-release would happen. Why would it. The ICON is going to get the Cyan and Denim and WP 10 by the fact it's a high end WP phone. Discontinuing it just made more people upset and some smart ones to put their money where their mouth is and move to another carrier. My 1520.3 is due Friday of this week.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't think a re-release would happen. Why would it. The ICON is going to get the Cyan and Denim and WP 10 by the fact it's a high end WP phone. Discontinuing it just made more people upset and some smart ones to put their money where their mouth is and move to another carrier. My 1520.3 is due Friday of this week.

Where did you end up getting it from? Couldn't find one myself

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I wish google or samsung would try this with android. If they won, then MS could sue Verizon and win because at that point only WP would be required to go through Verizon's lame testing process.

Yea, the only phone you can count on getting timely updates from Verizon is the iPhones because Apple has a contract with Verizon that they MUST release updates on the scheduled day nationwide.

Wish MS had the pull to make this happen....in the PC world they do but, when it comes to phones, nope...

I've pressured MS and Verizon, in fact most of the posts here with the hashtag of #WeWantCyan I re-tweeted.... I'm @TheCoolDave

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
no chance in hell of it officially getting W10. (WP no longer exists) The 930 certainly will. The Icon will probably get it unofficially through DP, but if they don't give us Cyan, I expect it to be FAR worse than the DP experience people have had.

veknam

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I am new here, so it won't let me post links. Please help spread the word and LIKE this Facebook page and share... add your comments.

"Verizon Please Update My Windows Phone NOW" - facebook DOT com/VerizonUpdateMyWindowsPhone

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
no chance in hell of it officially getting W10. (WP no longer exists) The 930 certainly will. The Icon will probably get it unofficially through DP, but if they don't give us Cyan, I expect it to be FAR worse than the DP experience people have had.

I think it's time for a lawsuit.... If Windows 10 hits Windows Phone before ICON was released 2 years, I think we should.

The US contract term is 2 years, and I expect support for devices for the term of 2 years.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think it's time for a lawsuit.... If Windows 10 hits Windows Phone before ICON was released 2 years, I think we should.

The US contract term is 2 years, and I expect support for devices for the term of 2 years.

Are the manufacturers and/or carriers obligated to provide updates? I don't think there would be a leg to stand on unless Verizon promised the Cyan update.

A friend of mine recently discovered that he at one time owned an Android phone that was part of a class action lawsuit against Motorola. Motorola had promised to provide an update to Froyo (IIRC) for that particular device, but never did. From what I understand it was the promise of the update that incriminated Motorola.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
All interesting thoughts and arguments people. Like I said, I for one am done with Verizon and will be going over to AT&T the moment the 830 hits their stores shelves. I only have 3 more months worth of contract so I'll eat the ETF. Loss of revenue I think, is the only way to get through to Verizon.

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
So, I ask on Facebook if Nokia Icon users will get cyan/8.1 update or be given an upgrade to another device since the icon is being discontinued and I get....

We want you to enjoy ASAP! No news yet regarding the update or trade in offers, but you can continue to check the website and sign up for email updates Verizon Wireless for the latest info.
- Ashley

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Are the manufacturers and/or carriers obligated to provide updates? I don't think there would be a leg to stand on unless Verizon promised the Cyan update.

A friend of mine recently discovered that he at one time owned an Android phone that was part of a class action lawsuit against Motorola. Motorola had promised to provide an update to Froyo (IIRC) for that particular device, but never did. From what I understand it was the promise of the update that incriminated Motorola.
Yes they have promised 8.1, Cyan and Denim.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Even if they promised Cyan and Denim, I don't think its legally binding unless its in a contract somewhere. I bought the Icon separately so I know for a fact its not in my contract and Cyan hadn't been announced when I bought my 928. I seriously doubt that its in any Icon owner's contract. I'm more and more sure that Denim will never hit the Icon. I'm starting to think that Cyan isn't either. This is why I have a 1520.3 arriving in the next couple of days and I'm on AT&T when it comes.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Cyan or 8.1? Its not quite the same thing. 8.1 is the OS and includes cortana. Cyan includes things like mirrorcasting and bluetooth 4.0.

They sell more Lumias than any other Windows phone so...yeah that's a possibility. I can't connect my Fitbit Flex to my Icon until Verizon releases 8.1 Cyan because Fit bit made CYAN MANDATORY.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Cyan or 8.1? Its not quite the same thing. 8.1 is the OS and includes cortana. Cyan includes things like mirrorcasting and bluetooth 4.0.

Kasey is correct. BT 4.0 is necessary for our fitness accessories to connect to our phones. And there is likely more BT accessories we are missing out on due to the lack of Cyan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs