Call me crazy but I just bought a used Icon

xX_Solaris

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
*high fives all around* Right?! RIGHT?!?!?!?! :grincry:

Ya ya I know this phone may or may not see the Cyan/Denim upgrade but I wanted an upgrade from my HTC 8X (a disappointment to say the least). I happen to like Verizon's service because making a phone call > than not making a phone call on AT&T....at least in SoCal. So it's either this or the HTC One and well, to me the One is seriously lacking the in hardware department compared to what I plan on using the Icon for. Mainly photo and video.

I originally had the 822 when it first came out and for what it was it took great video/audio compared to my 8X and I missed that. I think people underestimate how good HAAC is when recording videos, especially when there's lots of ambient noise. So here I am, Icon....chea! I know windows phone is a lose lose situation on Verizon and they really don't have any high-end Microsoft/Nokia WP on the horizon (hint hint Verzion, wanting to buy a 1020, but with next-gen hardware) but I still like the platform and could live with it being stuck at 8.

Are yall really not happy with the Icon? Even if it's left at 8?

orangeman34

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I love my icon. I know some have had a few issues, but mine had been pretty much flawless on 8.1 dp. Sure I'd like cyan but the only thing it would do for me personally is enable Miracast.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
The ICON is a great device even on 8, but you should at least try the 8.1 DP as a lot of us had very good success with it. Either way "high five" and enjoy.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I don't think you are crazy. I think you are a smart buyer. It's a great phone and will be for another couple of years. The updates will come and you will be happy.

Congratulations

HarrBear

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
You picked a great phone. Sure the support for it is a bit slow, but even on 8.0 this blows my iPhone 4S out of the water.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've seen too many "Call me crazy. I bought an Icon" threads on this subsection. Of course no one is going to call you crazy. It's an incredible phone. We all love it.

I think we will see Cyan and Denim. And even Windows 10. Its just going to take longer for us than for everyone else.

Enjoy!

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Just curious- did you buy a used Icon for cheaper that you could buy a new one- $99?
Not everyone has an upgrade to use or even wants to use it. Considering how long ago this phone released don't know to many who'd use a 2 year upgrade credit on it. Just my .02

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Not everyone has an upgrade to use or even wants to use it. Considering how long ago this phone released don't know to many who'd use a 2 year upgrade credit on it. Just my .02

There was no offense intended with my question to the original poster- whom you are not.

I used my 2 year upgrade to get it just 2 weeks ago because I think it's a great phone- regardless of how many months it's been out.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
We're ALL crazy. It's just varying degrees. As long as you're happy with your device, that's all that matters. High five my brutha!

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
OP you are not crazy at all the Icon still compares very well to the top tier smartphones even though it is a 8-9 month old device

Comparing the iPhone 6 to the top Windows Phones, including Lumia 1020, HTC One and Lumia 1520 | Windows Phone Central

the Icon is very good even with black/8.1 DP and I can only image how much better it would be with the proper firmware cyan/denim but sadly the Icon was released on Verizon and is getting little to no support from Big Red

ridiculous that a top tier device is getting treated like this :angry:

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
OP you are not crazy at all the Icon still compares very well to the top tier smartphones even though it is a 8-9 month old device

Comparing the iPhone 6 to the top Windows Phones, including Lumia 1020, HTC One and Lumia 1520 | Windows Phone Central

the Icon is very good even with black/8.1 DP and I can only image how much better it would be with the proper firmware cyan/denim but sadly the Icon was released on Verizon and is getting little to no support from Big Red

ridiculous that a top tier device is getting treated like this :angry:
As far as I am concerned, the iPhones do not compare to the Lumia at all. Lumia is way ahead, both in hardware and software.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I had an Icon since it came out. Recently tried the HTC One and it was good, but right now, I'm back to my Icon. I could go into all the reasons, but for two, the HTC is a little hard to hold and type on and the screen in daylight is so much better. I just wish the Icon battery was close to the HTC, but at least it has wireless charging.

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Well its a forum for commenting after all. And as I said, my .02 only. guess I shouldn't have quoted. ;)

Yes, everyone can comment, but your reply to my question (which only the original poster could answer) was rather snarky. And your following comment about not knowing too many who'd use a 2-year carrier renewal for the Icon came across as insulting. My comments and questions should be respected like anyone else's.

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The icon is a great phone :) the only thing that kills it for me is the glance screen, if it had that option then I would have jumped on board.. However I should start getting used to the idea that Glance screen won't be there in the future.... :'(

xX_Solaris

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Just curious- did you buy a used Icon for cheaper that you could buy a new one- $99?

Nah, I hate the idea of being tied to a carrier for two years and having to pay them to leave if I so choose. I buy all my phones used off ebay/craigslist when they hit that 150-250 range (Trophy, 822, 8X, and now the Icon). Now if we're talking 1020 with next gen specs on Verizon, I would consider the contract. The phone specs would have to blow me away though, kind of like Sony Z4 rumored specs. :)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre