Move to Galaxy S5 or Stick with Verizon's Hobbled Icon

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Should I dump the Icon for a Galaxy S5?

Nokia Icon
After waiting for so long for my Icon to get 8.1 on Verizon, I feel like I was sold a bill of goods that was never going to happen: NFC, screen sharing, Cortana - and others. I bought the Icon the day it was released - and even paid top dollar to swap mid-contract. And although I can run the Developer Preview, it's still not the sanctioned Verizon build - so it takes 0.5-3 seconds to turn on the screen, NFC for purchases is non-functional and I can't project a screen and there are other little half-baked or non-functional features.

So I tried out the competition for 15 days to check things out.

Galaxy S5
I borrowed a Galaxy S5 on T-Mobile for a few day to see what I was missing - and boy was it a lot. Here's a breakdown and comparison.

PROs (Galaxy S5 is better than Windows Phone/Icon)
  1. Google Voice is much better than Cortana for real-world queries. Sure, Google doesn't sing a song or tell a joke, but it returns relevant results much more often than Cortana's web page results when she's stumped - which is often.
  2. Much Better Search Results - whether from a web query or a voice search, the location-aware results include nearby restaurants, a map, driving directions ready to start with another tap and all previous searches for quick access - far better than Cortana.
  3. Suggested Words are Better Than Word Flow - While WP Word Flow is unbeatable for texting and emails, Google’s suggestions are far more useful when repeatedly typing in other items such as email addresses and passwords. For example, I find myself typing my Microsoft ID 30-40 times a month – sometimes more – to authorize for account access. On the Droid, the second time I see an email prompt, it offers to auto-populate for me. Much more useful than WP.
  4. Apps, Apps, Apps – Forget the tired argument for more apps, it’s the QUALITY of the apps that matters. After using a Droid, you realize every mainstream app on Windows Phone is a watered-down, hollow shell of an app compared to its Droid/iOS equivalent. For example, Waze on Droid has 57 features, but on WP, only 12. USAA Bank on Droid has 105 features, on WP 38. Run the list: Facebook, MyFitnessPal, LinkedIn, FlipBoard - don’t even get me started on Google Maps vs. HERE Drive+, HERE Transit or HERE Maps. There’s just no comparison. The apps on Droid are full-featured. WP versions aren't.
  5. Battery Life – Even navigating around town, the Galaxy S5 doesn’t get hot (inefficient use of battery) or run down the battery like the Icon with WP 8.1 without the matching Nokia/Verizon drivers. The S5 ran for 1.5 days on a charge with moderate to heavy use. The Icon had to be charged twice during the day just to do the same tasks.
  6. Missing WP Features Aren’t Missing on Galaxy – NFC purchases, Google Voice (official release) vs. Cortana (Beta), Project Your Screen, BT 4.0 profile. All of these are present, working and fully functional on the Galaxy – not so on the Icon.

CONs (Galaxy S5 is worse than Windows Phone/Icon)
  1. Wireless QI Charging – It was a royal step backward to always pop open the charging cover and insert the keyed USB 3.0 plug into the Galaxy. Wow – have I been spoiled with wireless charging Nokias.
  2. Complicated – Even though I’m tech-savvy, all the options and zillions of little indicators at the top of the screen was overwhelming. Sure the Droid boasts that it's customizable. But Windows Phone is so much cleaner and easier to use without all the fuss and muss.
  3. Stellar Camera – While the 1020 holds the crown, the Icon/930 camera is pretty awesome. Galaxy is good – but not that good.

I’ve talked a Verizon rep into giving me the option to return the Icon for a like-priced phone or pay the difference for a more expensive phone as if I was still inside my 14 day return period.

I need your thoughts on whether I should take the plunge back to Android and away from WP that I hoped, trusted, prayed would grow into something better and more competitive.

Jump to the Galaxy. Or stick with the Icon. Which is it?

Last edited:

zweible

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
If you are going to stick with Verizon, I would dump the Icon. The writing is on the wall for Windows Phone support.... non-existant. But if you are happy running the developers preview, and you like the Icon.. stick with it. Its all personal preference. I paid my ETF and switched. As I said, personal choice and YMMV.

Z

Spirk

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, make the switch before your Icon has no resale value.

Not only did I dump Verizon for AT&T (did NOT pay the ETF they wanted) but I also got an S5. I miss the camera and the wireless charging but I really like having the few apps I couldn't get on the Icon. I'm huge into music and not having on-screen controls to play my collection in the cloud always nagged me. Now I have the Amazon MP3 widget on my home screen and I don't have to worry about my phone being on the edge of built in storage because I had so much music on it. OneDrive for Android works great as well.

Honestly, a bigger push to dump Verizon was the Xperia Z3 Compact coming to AT&T. Mine will be here Friday. I loved WP8 since the 928 came out but it's taking a beating from sh**ty carrier support like Verizon. I'm keeping a close eye on Windows 10 and I really hope it does wonders.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Not only did I dump Verizon for AT&T (did NOT pay the ETF they wanted) but I also got an S5. I miss the camera and the wireless charging but I really like having the few apps I couldn't get on the Icon. I'm huge into music and not having on-screen controls to play my collection in the cloud always nagged me. Now I have the Amazon MP3 widget on my home screen and I don't have to worry about my phone being on the edge of built in storage because I had so much music on it. OneDrive for Android works great as well.

Honestly, a bigger push to dump Verizon was the Xperia Z3 Compact coming to AT&T. Mine will be here Friday. I loved WP8 since the 928 came out but it's taking a beating from sh**ty carrier support like Verizon. I'm keeping a close eye on Windows 10 and I really hope it does wonders.

Super helpful comments. Much appreciated, Spirk.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Verizon and WP don't mix. Dump one or the other. The new Motorola Turbo isn't out yet but Verizon has a great promo splashed on its home page. Whens the last time a WP got such attention on the Verizon home page? I'd dump the icon for a turbo in a heartbeat...which is what I'm going to do.

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Verizon and WP don't mix. Dump one or the other. The new Motorola Turbo isn't out yet but Verizon has a great promo splashed on its home page. Whens the last time a WP got such attention on the Verizon home page? I'd dump the icon for a turbo in a heartbeat...which is what I'm going to do.
the turbo is very tempting, might try it just for a change of pace. never got to have the android experience.

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

z3c looks awesome, but i have heard alot about the screens breaking. i really wish at&t had the coverage i need.

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I guess the major question has to be asked. What kind of service do you want? too make a phone call and receive a call without finding a spot where you have good signal. This is all I require out of Verizon, and I don't want them sending updates half ***, and jeopardizing my phone, and service. the rest of the phone, Internet, apps, camera, etc. has nothing to do with Verizon or any carrier for that fact. Remember Verizon only obligation is to maintain there network, and make sure we have phone service. Nothing more or nothing less
Right now my Icon has been running great with the new update on DP. I have no complaint with Verizon
they give me exactly what I need...Grate phone service

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Doesn't matter what phone you get just dump Verizon as fast as you can. They might have a good promo for the android flavor of the month but they have shown they have no qualms about throwing it out the window if it suits them. Such a carrier doesn't deserve any support.

bpe4

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
On one of your S5 cons, remember that the S5 has a removable back. You can buy an oem replacement back with qi wireless charging for around $20.

Personally I would switch to the S5. I have both. I had a wild hair to try a flagship wp phone so I bought an icon 3 months ago. Like everyone I've been disappointed with the lack of cyan/8.1 and double upset that the phone was dumped from their lineup.

Like you said the S5 is just a polished phone and like IOS the android version of apps are 'complete'. Frankly, going through the windows app store and seeing all the shoddy/foreign lookalike apps make me cringe.

Stick with Verizon though if you get an S5. Blast them all you want about their wp support, they are the one company that invests the most in their network. Absolutely stellar service.

You Sprint apologists know exactly what I'm talking about.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I've had the Icon and just started using a new (but older technology) Droid Maxx. Love a lot of things on android and the battery is awesome. A few things that were better on the Icon, including some of the app designs and the email. I would have missed wireless charging but the Droid has it. Based on the WP situation and with Verizon, I vote for the S5 or maybe the new turbo. Oh, and the build quality on my Droid Maxx is great and feels so good in the hand.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
It sucks seeing people like you who generally like wp pretty much being forced to switch platforms because the carrier support is so horrendous. :(

I don't know if this counts for all European countries but here in Holland I always get updates fairly quickly and the store reps don't talk sh!t about Windows Phone...

This is exactly why WP is doing better in Europe, because in the US the carriers don't give WP a fair chance. And then the WP haters can turn around and say: "We told you WP sucks! Just look at the US market share! Hurr durr derp"

The injustice makes me cringe...

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Stick what what you like....Even without Cyan i'm perfectly happy with my Icon. It takes fantastic pictures and makes phone calls. Everything else I can do on my Surface. I bought it for it's simplicity and it's held true to that for me.

veknam

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I love my Icon but hate verizon for doing this to us. How about sticking with WP and going with the HTC One M8 windows phone on Verizon? Soon to also be on T-Mobile.

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a few of us have left windows phone and Verizon over this. I'm a big proponent of windows phone but this experience really brought home how much of an experience I was missing on WP.

I left Verizon for T-Mobile and picked up a Nexus 5, a really good value phone. Spec wise the nexus 5 is very similar to the Icon: same CPU, RAM, storage and display resolution, but it is much thinner and lighter. One thing that irks me about WP these days is the performance rhetoric, it's just not true that it has great performance anymore on 8.1. Every demo video I see on WP Central shows "loading...", it's sad to see. Without a doubt the Nexus performs much better and faster than the Icon.

Anyways it pains me to say, but choosing Android, irrespective of changing carrier will provide a better overall mobile experience.

anon(7937399)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon mainly on the need for better rural coverage. Second reason was the abandonment of the 810. Now I have a special order 928 on Verizon and it looks like the 928 is getting abandoned. With my luck, maybe I should get an iPhone 6 to make sure the iPhone will be abandoned for future updates...

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon mainly on the need for better rural coverage. Second reason was the abandonment of the 810. Now I have a special order 928 on Verizon and it looks like the 928 is getting abandoned. With my luck, maybe I should get an iPhone 6 to make sure the iPhone will be abandoned for future updates...
Think you're on the right track choosing a phone that gets updates from the manufacturer and not the carrier. Other options than the iPhone include Nexus, Google Play Edition phones and the Moto X Pure Edition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb