For what it is worth, below is Verizon's launch and update history I compiled for the Lumia 928 and Icon as a tool for speculation and comment for future updates. Moderators, feel free to delete or move as you see fit.

Lumia 928 First Available On Verizon May 16, 2013
    Nokia Lumia 928 - Windows Phone 8

Lumia Icon First Available On Verizon February 20, 2014
    Nokia Lumia Icon - Windows Phone 8

Lumia Amber Announced May 14, 2013
    Rollout To Existing Devices Began August 15, 2013
    Green light for Lumia Amber - Conversations
    Verizon Release For 928 – August 15, 2013

Lumia Black Announced October 22, 2013
    Rollout To Existing Devices Began January 9, 2014
    Nokia Lumia Black update begins rollout - Conversations
    Verizon Release For 928 – February 17, 2014. Note February 2014 (0214) date on bottom right of PDF.
    https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=iLYKaqMW
    Verizon Release For Icon – Icon Launched With Black

Verizon Released Update For Icon Which Took Firmware From 1028.3539.1402.1042 to 1028.3566.1417.0047 on May 9, 2014. Note April 2014 (0414) date on bottom right of PDF.
    https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=mzBSRZNN
    Verizon pushes out firmware update for Nokia Lumia Icon | Windows Central

Lumia Cyan Announced April 2, 2014
    Rollout To Existing Devices Began July 15, 2014
    All-new Windows Phone experience: Lumia Cyan update - Conversations

Lumia Denim Update Announced September 4, 2014
    Rollout To Existing Devices Begins ????
    jlzimmerman and aximtreo like this.
    11-07-2014 10:26 AM
    For what it is worth, below is Verizon's launch and update history I compiled for the Lumia 928 and Icon as a tool for speculation and comment for future updates. Moderators, feel free to delete or move as you see fit.

Lumia 928 First Available On Verizon May 16, 2013
    Nokia Lumia 928 - Windows Phone 8

Lumia Icon First Available On Verizon February 20, 2014
    Nokia Lumia Icon - Windows Phone 8

Lumia Amber Announced May 14, 2013
    Rollout To Existing Devices Began August 15, 2013
    Green light for Lumia Amber - Conversations
    Verizon Release For 928 August 15, 2013

Lumia Black Announced October 22, 2013
    Rollout To Existing Devices Began January 9, 2014
    Nokia Lumia Black update begins rollout - Conversations
    Verizon Release For 928 February 17, 2014. Note February 2014 (0214) date on bottom right of PDF.
    https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=y4ZstqV0
    Verizon Release For Icon Icon Launched With Black

Verizon Released Update For Icon Which Took Firmware From 1028.3539.1402.1042 to 1028.3566.1417.0047 on May 9, 2014. Note April 2014 (0414) date on bottom right of PDF.
    https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=ApYSOJnz
    Verizon pushes out firmware update for Nokia Lumia Icon | Windows Central

Lumia Cyan Announced April 2, 2014
    Rollout To Existing Devices Began July 15, 2014
    All-new Windows Phone experience: Lumia Cyan update - Conversations

Lumia Denim Update Announced September 4, 2014
    Rollout To Existing Devices Begins ????
    Pretty much demonstrates the obvious, but that obvious is one lost of people around here want to ignore. With the exception of Cyan, VZW has been very responsive. In fact, it has been more responsive than the other major US carriers. This applies to the old 822 as well. It also should suggest that perhaps there really may be a problem with implementing Cyan on VZW's network. Their hardware is, after all, significantly different from that of AT&T and T-Mobile. As it stands I am sure those few who really do jump to AT&T will promptly be among those complaining when Denim doesn't roll out immediately.
    feeked likes this.
    11-07-2014 11:34 AM
    I was disappointed by Verizon when they did not update the HTC Trophy to WP7.8. Not knocking or praising Verizon with this, just wanted to try and separate perception from reality as I am beginning to feel resentful to them for not releasing Cyan and to give myself a reasonable expectation for Denim.
    11-07-2014 12:08 PM
    Pretty much demonstrates the obvious, but that obvious is one lost of people around here want to ignore. With the exception of Cyan, VZW has been very responsive. In fact, it has been more responsive than the other major US carriers. This applies to the old 822 as well. It also should suggest that perhaps there really may be a problem with implementing Cyan on VZW's network. Their hardware is, after all, significantly different from that of AT&T and T-Mobile. As it stands I am sure those few who really do jump to AT&T will promptly be among those complaining when Denim doesn't roll out immediately.
    Just like everything else in life, no one remembers the good, they just remember the bad. Still the fact of the matter is, Verizon was good, that is a "was".

Spend some time on the Android forums and look for discussions on Verizon updates and you will see the same complaint, Verizon is most of the time the slowest carrier for updates, excluding the iPhoney.. Yea, Android 5.0 was announced, I would bet 1/2 of the flagship Android devices in the last 2 years WONT get the update.

Pretty much most phones have Cyan now, and ALL flagships besides the ICON has it. People have a right to complain, Verizon was good on updates....at one time.

Verizon is known to just drop phone support like this, I would bet a lot of WP8 devices that Verizon has carried wont even get Cyan/8.1....

At this point, after this wait, on the FLAGSHIP Windows Phone 8 device in the US, there really isn't any excuse that Verizon could make that would justify it. Not that they would actually make a statement anyway..
    11-07-2014 12:40 PM
    The only pattern I've seen is that they've gotten progressively worse. They were first out the gate with Amber (while the 920 on AT&T waiting for quite some time) then Black took over a month and a half. Now with Cyan we're 4 months out and nothing. They just stopped caring.
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    11-07-2014 12:41 PM
    It's easy: buy an unlocked phone. You're paying for it one way or the other... take control and get your updates directly from Microsoft.
    11-07-2014 09:59 PM
    Just like everything else in life, no one remembers the good, they just remember the bad. Still the fact of the matter is, Verizon was good, that is a "was".

Spend some time on the Android forums and look for discussions on Verizon updates and you will see the same complaint, Verizon is most of the time the slowest carrier for updates, excluding the iPhoney.. Yea, Android 5.0 was announced, I would bet 1/2 of the flagship Android devices in the last 2 years WONT get the update.

Pretty much most phones have Cyan now, and ALL flagships besides the ICON has it. People have a right to complain, Verizon was good on updates....at one time.

Verizon is known to just drop phone support like this, I would bet a lot of WP8 devices that Verizon has carried wont even get Cyan/8.1....

At this point, after this wait, on the FLAGSHIP Windows Phone 8 device in the US, there really isn't any excuse that Verizon could make that would justify it. Not that they would actually make a statement anyway..
    Not a single Verizon WP device has Cyan/8.1
    11-07-2014 10:24 PM
    Not true. The One M8 for Windows launched with it.
    11-08-2014 05:28 AM
    Only Lumia devices get Cyan!
    11-08-2014 08:43 AM
    Not true. The One M8 for Windows launched with it.
    Lol. That doesn't count. It came preloaded, Verizon didn't have to do anything.
    11-08-2014 12:04 PM
    Only Lumia devices get Cyan!
    Yes I know, I was categorizing 8.1 and Cyan as a goal point upgrade the Verizon has yet to push out to any device (that it wasn't preloaded on, M8 doesn't count)
    11-08-2014 12:06 PM
    What I don't understand about MS & Verizon. With the past history of poor treatment of WP's ( see ICON, see no Cyan or 8.1), why in the name of common sense is MS giving them another exclusive phone. Makes no business sense at all.
    11-08-2014 01:21 PM
    What I don't understand about MS & Verizon. With the past history of poor treatment of WP's ( see ICON, see no Cyan or 8.1), why in the name of common sense is MS giving them another exclusive phone. Makes no business sense at all.
    I'm pretty sure the Icon exclusive was a Verizon / Nokia deal. MS had just finalized the purchase of Nokia when the Icon was announced/released.

And MS inherents any contract/deal when they purchases Nokia. Hopefully go forward though MS will start throwing their weight around and get the carriers to shape up. We're already seeing evidence of that.
    11-08-2014 01:24 PM
    I'm keeping a bit optimistic that if the new Microsoft Lumia phone that's supposed to be announced next week goes to Verizon or all carriers we will start seeing a rollout of Cyan.
    11-08-2014 02:37 PM
    I'm pretty sure the Icon exclusive was a Verizon / Nokia deal. MS had just finalized the purchase of Nokia when the Icon was announced/released.

And MS inherents any contract/deal when they purchases Nokia. Hopefully go forward though MS will start throwing their weight around and get the carriers to shape up. We're already seeing evidence of that.
    Doing some quick math, Verizon sells about ~30 million phones a year across all OS. WP is about 5% of Verizon's sales. So Verizon sells about 1.5 million Windows phones a year across about 10000 stores and re-sellers. So your average Verizon seller is moving about 12 windows phones a month. By comparison, Verizon's Iphone sales are almost 10 times that number (40-50% of total sales).

Given numbers like this, I would assume MS has zero weight to throw around with Verizon and probably has to bend over backwards for them just to get them to even carry the phones.
    11-09-2014 09:17 AM
    I didn't say Verizon, I said all flagships....(1520, 930, etc) the only other flagship that Verizon has is the M8 and it does have 8.1
    11-09-2014 10:52 AM
    Verizon probably wanted the Icon as an exclusive to make it worth their while. With an exclusive, they got all of the Icon sales, no splitting the audience with another carrier. They might have refused to carry the Icon if Nokia didn't give them an exclusive. As a result Nokia threw all of its eggs in the one Verizon basket hoping that Verizon's size would give them the most sales. I'm thinking that one back fired on them.
    11-09-2014 03:04 PM
    The 928 is ALSO a Verizon exclusive, and, at the time of release, a flagship phone. So why retire the Icon and NOT the 928.
    11-09-2014 10:19 PM
    I've been saying this all along, and you can see even more evidence of this fact if you look at that the numerous updates the Trophy received (not including 7.8, but that release was a mixed bag and almost 2 years after the Trophy was released)

This is why I put so much of the blame on Microsoft. Either they are providing substandard code, or they aren't pushing Verizon as much as they used to. Regardless, they need to be pushing them more.
    11-11-2014 09:02 AM
    I've been saying this all along, and you can see even more evidence of this fact if you look at that the numerous updates the Trophy received (not including 7.8, but that release was a mixed bag and almost 2 years after the Trophy was released)

This is why I put so much of the blame on Microsoft. Either they are providing substandard code, or they aren't pushing Verizon as much as they used to. Regardless, they need to be pushing them more.
    What leverage does MS have with their distant 3rd place WP to push Verizon, MS will threaten to remove their phones from Verizon's network? Is that really going to have any discernable effect on Verizon's bottom line? imho MS wants their phone on the largest, fastest wireless provider in the US and the price of this relationship is having to live with Verizon's obvious marginalization of the WP platform compared to Droid and iPhone

imho it's a combination of MS having no power to push Verizon at all with WP and Verizon's apathy toward WP, if WP phone had a greater market share and sold more units this update would have probably been out months ago
    Last edited by jazz70; 11-11-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    11-11-2014 10:28 AM
    What leverage did they have 3 years ago when they released 7.5? They still managed a simultaneous, universal roll out.
    11-11-2014 10:50 AM
    I'll continue to quote the guy who is more reputable and reliable than any other source on the internet when it comes to all things Windows Phone.

wp_ss_20140918_0001.jpg
    jazz70, nunyazz and gernerttl like this.
    11-11-2014 10:52 AM
    What leverage did they have 3 years ago when they released 7.5? They still managed a simultaneous, universal roll out.
    that's a good question less windows phones out 3 years ago? Maybe 3 years ago Verizon had 10 ppl resourced to work on WP instead of the 3 ppl working in the basement broom closet at Verizon headquarters on WP these days

I don't know if we will ever know the answer
    11-11-2014 11:26 AM
    Hoping against hope that any issues encountered with the WP8.1+Cyan on Verizon's network are resolved to the point where Denim has a quick rollout. It really seems like a silly game being played by two entities with mega-corporation egos.
    11-11-2014 11:45 AM
    I doubt there is any truth to it being an ego game unless Verizon is insisting on including some kind of unremovable bloatware that Microsoft is saying no to which doesn't make any sense since they greenlit the HTC M8.

Otherwise, what does Verizon or Microsoft gain? Nothing. Why are they saying next to nothing? Really hard to say, but my guess is the truth is probably far more logistical than it is political.
    11-11-2014 03:35 PM