New Icon Owner

wp2000

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Good morning.

This weekend I went to AT&T and Verizon to compare the 1520 versus the Icon. I was currently on AT&T with a 920. Despite contemplating going with a different phone I decided to give Windows Phone a little more time as I really do like the OS and, as I am not a huge app consumer, it generally meets all of my "needs".

I wanted to love the 1520 but it was just too big. My largest complaint was that I couldn't really use it one handed and get to the back button. I also looked at the M8 while there but the lack of physical buttons was kind of important to me and most of those I know with HTC phones have complained about hardware problems. Additionally, AT&T's monthly bill was going to be higher and, in my area, Verizon has better coverage so I went there next and picked up an Icon in white.

Having used it this weekend, I love the upgrade to the higher resolution screen and the screen is more vibrant than the 920. I upgraded to 8.1 and have been using it with no issues.

A few questions:

1. I do notice more ghosting in the scroll (white text on black, black text on white) versus the 920. Seems to be common on the AMOLED screens and some mentioned it gets better with more use. Can anyone else share their experiences on this. It's arguably the only complaint I have about the phone.

2. Double-tap to wake: I was thinking that was part of 8.1 but it must be Cyan?

3. I was under the impression that 8.1 brought 4 tile sizes but I am only seeing 3. Perhaps I am thinking of something different.

Thanks!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Good morning.

This weekend I went to AT&T and Verizon to compare the 1520 versus the Icon. I was currently on AT&T with a 920. Despite contemplating going with a different phone I decided to give Windows Phone a little more time as I really do like the OS and, as I am not a huge app consumer, it generally meets all of my "needs".

I wanted to love the 1520 but it was just too big. My largest complaint was that I couldn't really use it one handed and get to the back button. I also looked at the M8 while there but the lack of physical buttons was kind of important to me and most of those I know with HTC phones have complained about hardware problems. Additionally, AT&T's monthly bill was going to be higher and, in my area, Verizon has better coverage so I went there next and picked up an Icon in white.

Having used it this weekend, I love the upgrade to the higher resolution screen and the screen is more vibrant than the 920. I upgraded to 8.1 and have been using it with no issues.

A few questions:

1. I do notice more ghosting in the scroll (white text on black, black text on white) versus the 920. Seems to be common on the AMOLED screens and some mentioned it gets better with more use. Can anyone else share their experiences on this. It's arguably the only complaint I have about the phone.

2. Double-tap to wake: I was thinking that was part of 8.1 but it must be Cyan?

3. I was under the impression that 8.1 brought 4 tile sizes but I am only seeing 3. Perhaps I am thinking of something different.

Thanks!
No it is only three. Windows phone 8.1 allows you three columns of tiles vs the traditional two columns. Windows 8 has four sizes I believe.

I'd have to check my bfs phone when I see him later at class but I think since the icon lacks glance, it also lacks double tap to wake as well. Don't quote me though.

I will also check for ghosting as well.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on the new Icon! I've had my White Icon since launch, and I love it just as much today as the day I got it.

To answer your questions:

1.) Yes all AMOLED displays do have what you describe. It's really just a matter of color moving across a real black display. Think of the trajectory of a baseball being thrown on a baseball field. You can actually see it moving through the air and it leaves a blur around it. That's what's happening with the "ghosting" you describe. I believe AMOLED is more realistic than LED.

2.) Double tap to wake does not come with the Icon, which runs Nokia Black firmware. It did come on the Nokia Lumia 930 which is currently sporting Nokia Cyan firmware. We're all hoping that once the Icon gets updated to Cyan, we will also get Double Tap to Wake. But we honestly cannot say for certain.

3.) There are only three tile sizes on all WP8 phones: Medium, Small, and Wide. You might be referring to columns. On phones running WP8.1, that have less 5 inch displays, there's an option to toggle between two columns of Medium tiles or three columns of medium tiles. Since the Icon is a 5 inch display, it does not have the option to go below three columns. Nor does the 1520.

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy your new phone!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
The ICON does not have nor will it have Glance. It has to do with the amount of screen memory that was chosen for this model.

wp2000

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! One other quirk I noticed - not sure if this is a Black issue, 8.1 DP, or the hardware but sometimes when I hit the power / standby button it doesn't power on instantly - there is a 2 - 4 second delay if the screen hasn't been turned on in awhile, almost as if it is "warming up". I assume its related to the AMOLED?

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Do you have any live lock screen applications installed? Alot of apps that mess with the lock screen can cause that. If not, one solution is to go to Settings>Kids Corner> Turn Kids Corner On> Turn Kids Corner Off

That usually fixes that. I had that problem after installing the Tetra Lockscreen and that was all it took.

Also welcome to the club! The Icon is a great phone and even though Verizon is no doubt not giving it the love it needs, it's a wonderful device and will most likely keep you happy for a long time.

It's recommended that you look into getting Microsoft's Preview for Developers app which will let you preview some features of the next OS update, in case you haven't heard of that.

Last edited:

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! One other quirk I noticed - not sure if this is a Black issue, 8.1 DP, or the hardware but sometimes when I hit the power / standby button it doesn't power on instantly - there is a 2 - 4 second delay if the screen hasn't been turned on in awhile, almost as if it is "warming up". I assume its related to the AMOLED?

This is known bug in DP. It should only occur if you are on wifi. Try disconnecting from wifi and see if it persist. Not saying to not use wifi, just saying that when I am not on wifi, I don't get the delay.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
This is known bug in DP. It should only occur if you are on wifi. Try disconnecting from wifi and see if it persist. Not saying to not use wifi, just saying that when I am not on wifi, I don't get the delay.

This bug will hopefully disappear when Cyan and/or Denim hit our Icon's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos