Nokia ICON - My latest suggestion.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
For financial reason, I just ported back to Verizon and fired up my ICON. Went through all the PD updates and noticed I still have Black hardware version. Then it occurred to me that I've been out of the ICON loop for a couple of months and nothing has changed.

Now before you crucify me read my suggestion:

Verizon abandoned the Cyan update and Denim is a far away dream. MS has stated that something will be done to bring the ICON up to some level; true level not known.

Now for my suggestion:

MS, don't invest a dime into moving the ICON up to Cyan and or Denim. Since WP 10 preview is due in 1/4 of 2015, just make sure that this will work on the ICON. I'll still be upset at MS and Verizon ( I put a bit of blame on both parties since I don't know the real story and neither do any of you) but will be grateful and happy to get WP 10.

What do you think? Are you willing to wait for just a couple more months to get the ICON compatible with all other top of the line Lumia phones?

Now, let the crucifying begin.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
This is ALL on Verizon. If half the world was still on 8.0/Black we could spread some blame but just about every carrier in the world has pushed those updates out.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Let us pray it's this and not some CDMA thing

Verizon Lumia Cyan update reverts to 'Under Development' as delay continues | Windows Central

no CDMA problem Verizon has made us wait months and months for the update because VZ is taking seriously the "quality" of the bloat-ware they install on our phones

translation: this probably means VZ has a huge problem with WP users being able to completely uninstall VZ's bloat-ware and want their apps to stay on your phone unable to uninstall them like I had to deal with when I was using Motorola droid phones on VZ's network for years

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Sigh....
Cyan is a FIRMWARE update. It brings much needed improvements to WiFi, camera, ect that Windows Phone 8.1, 10, 400 will not bring. The developer preview has nothing to do with Cyan or any other firmware updates, which is why Cyan is so badly wanted by most.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
For financial reason, I just ported back to Verizon and fired up my ICON. Went through all the PD updates and noticed I still have Black hardware version. Then it occurred to me that I've been out of the ICON loop for a couple of months and nothing has changed.

Now before you crucify me read my suggestion:

Verizon abandoned the Cyan update and Denim is a far away dream. MS has stated that something will be done to bring the ICON up to some level; true level not known.

Now for my suggestion:

MS, don't invest a dime into moving the ICON up to Cyan and or Denim. Since WP 10 preview is due in 1/4 of 2015, just make sure that this will work on the ICON. I'll still be upset at MS and Verizon ( I put a bit of blame on both parties since I don't know the real story and neither do any of you) but will be grateful and happy to get WP 10.

What do you think? Are you willing to wait for just a couple more months to get the ICON compatible with all other top of the line Lumia phones?

Your position is flawed from the outset since there have been nothing released that suggests VZW has abandoned Cyan, let alone, Denim, for any phone. It was kicked back to Microsoft for revision/update. Facts are facts and rumors are rumors and the only claims that indicate anything has been abandoned are non-credible and unverifiable rumors....

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Your position is flawed from the outset since there have been nothing released that suggests VZW has abandoned Cyan, let alone, Denim, for any phone. It was kicked back to Microsoft for revision/update. Facts are facts and rumors are rumors and the only claims that indicate anything has been abandoned are non-credible and unverifiable rumors....

No intension to spread rumors or to put unverified facts out there. My intent is to see if and when Cyan and other hardware updates are coming or as the verified fact say: Verizon has retired the ICON. Now you read into my question and suggestion what you will but the fact that Verizon has orphaned the ICON is a fact. I don't believe that the 822 or 928 have Cyan available either; correct me if I'm wrong. That leads me to believe that Verizon won't provide any hardware updates to those phones either. Just saying.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It sucks for everyone in the US that carriers have that amount of power, until MS stops trying to please carriers we will always see carrier exclusives. Sure MS may not have much push as Samsung or Apple, however they need to start getting forceful if they want to see Windows Phone grow in the US. Carrier exclusives haven't done anything but hamper growth. Plus these exclusives have started to create fragmentation in the ecosystem i.e T mobile not pushing out firmware updates for the 810, the to & throwing with the cyan firm update for verizon windows phones and now Sprint has pulled all their windows phones, hopefully they haven't pulled support for these phones as well (most likely they have*).

Edit:
(*striked - looks like they haven't pulled support after all, that's a relief).

Last edited:

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
It'll definitely get the W10 Preview treatment, but will it be a buggy mess because of missing firmware updates? I can pretty much guarantee it that it will. Will it be worse on Black than on Cyan/Denim? Possibly but since I'm not a firmware engineer I cannot say.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
MY old HTC DNA was "abandoned" by Verizon, and yet it still got 4.4 kitkat. Just because Verizon retires a phone, doesn't mean support for it is retired. They as a company are just compelled to push the latest and greatest into the spotlight and everything else is not promoted as much, but not necessarily forgotten...
oh and once again... Cyan is a firmware update....
just gonna leave that there...

p.s. I am in no way excusing Verizon for their terrible update time frames, just saying.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Verizon Lumia Cyan update reverts to 'Under Development' as delay continues | Windows Central

no CDMA problem Verizon has made us wait months and months for the update because VZ is taking seriously the "quality" of the bloat-ware they install on our phones

translation: this probably means VZ has a huge problem with WP users being able to completely uninstall VZ's bloat-ware and want their apps to stay on your phone unable to uninstall them like I had to deal with when I was using Motorola droid phones on VZ's network for years

How much revenue do you REALLY think Verizon gets from its bloatware?

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
How much revenue do you REALLY think Verizon gets from its bloatware?

it must be enough in VZ's view that they feel the need to delay releases to get them to work "perfectly", they delay releases regularly the same way on droids also because of issues with their apps

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Now for my suggestion:

Yea, crucifying would be the right word here :) Even though I like the concept to get Win 10 with a firmware, it's not ideal. There is hardware that still does not work (BT 4.0 devices), there is limits and if your at factory with out the DP, your missing 1/2 the features that all the WP devices have on other carriers.

No question, Cyan needs to come down, and Denim....I'm actually looking forward to getting Denim as the "Hey Cortana" feature would be HUGE for me (trying to send a text while driving and not needing to touch my phone at all)

It'll definitely get the W10 Preview treatment, but will it be a buggy mess because of missing firmware updates? I can pretty much guarantee it that it will. Will it be worse on Black than on Cyan/Denim? Possibly but since I'm not a firmware engineer I cannot say.

I guess we can hope the Cyan/Denim updates(if they ever arrive) will give all the hardware updates needed for firmware. BT 4.0, "Hey Cortana", faster camera, better wi-fi, etc. What I am getting at is, maybe a Firmware update might not be needed on the ICON after those updates because it would already have everything on the phone enabled(unless bug fix).

With the ICON no longer for sale (for the most part), we will count our blessings that we get Windows 10 phone....

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I just hope that VZW is not trying to change HERE Maps or HERE Drive+ to go to their crappy Navigator.
MapQuest or Maps will take you to their Navigator when you start the navigation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12