Microsoft: all Lumia Windows Phone 8 devices will be upgraded to Windows 10 - I care about the Icon!

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
OK, as I read and read and read these Verizon Icon "threads" - over month and months and months - and just get more and more PO'd at Verizon ... I have come to the conclusion that we really should begin "a positive energy" discussion about Windows "Phone 10" !!! I know, Microsoft is "trying to say" that ALL devices will simply be called "Windows 10"!

BUT, we will always call it "Windows Phone 10"! So, let's begin this "conversation" as the Icon IS STILL the Verizon "flagship" device with 1080p screen, 20 MP camera, 4 mics, etc. = should be "worthy" of Windows Phone 10 !!!

Microsoft: all Lumia Windows Phone 8 devices will be upgraded to Windows 10 | The Verge

Microsoft could add firmware to the Windows Phone Developer Preview

Finally, I just read that the Microsoft CEO Kevin Turner "has announced this week" that Windows 10 "WILL SHIP" sooner than expected - perhaps "late summer"!!!

So, that "should mean" that Windows Phone 10 "should enter some sort of "technical Preview" in early to mid 2015 ???

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
all we can hope for is we can get firmware updates with DP 10 sometime around spring 2015 because at this point it is pretty clear we will get little to no support from Verizon with anything to do with WP

I would think VZ would be very resistant to allowing MS to bypass their control of testing and distributing firmware updates on their network so it should be interesting to see how this situation pans out

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
all we can hope for is we can get firmware updates with DP 10 sometime around spring 2015 because at this point it is pretty clear we will get little to no support from Verizon with anything to do with WP

I would think VZ would be very resistant to allowing MS to bypass their control of testing and distributing firmware updates on their network so it should be interesting to see how this situation pans out

Maybe Microsoft - who spent $7.8 BILLION for Nokia - and with over $90 BILLION in the bank - can "buy" some fast track Verizon testing and stop screwing us WP customers ???

Netflix did it ... so, come on Microsoft ... TIME is running out in your fight against Android and iPhone !

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Maybe Microsoft - who spent $7.8 BILLION for Nokia - and with over $90 BILLION in the bank - can "buy" some fast track Verizon testing and stop screwing us WP customers ???

Netflix did it ... so, come on Microsoft ... TIME is running out in your fight against Android and iPhone !

As much as I'd like the firmware update on my Verizon phone, I am vehemently against this. The adverse effects it has on the internet and society far outweigh the small benefit to us Verizon WP users. Netflix CAVED into the extortion of ISPs. I noticed my Netflix streaming becoming painfully slow months before it came out that ISPs were throttling. Then as soon as Netflix started paying the ISP its bribe, it suddenly started working better than ever. The government is doing its best to cater to the ISPs already, and the last thing we want is for major companies to submit to it and set the precedent that these practices are OK.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
As much as I'd like the firmware update on my Verizon phone, I am vehemently against this. The adverse effects it has on the internet and society far outweigh the small benefit to us Verizon WP users. Netflix CAVED into the extortion of ISPs. I noticed my Netflix streaming becoming painfully slow months before it came out that ISPs were throttling. Then as soon as Netflix started paying the ISP its bribe, it suddenly started working better than ever. The government is doing its best to cater to the ISPs already, and the last thing we want is for major companies to submit to it and set the precedent that these practices are OK.

And that is why we live in a democracy as I just want Microsoft to do "whatever it takes" to provide me with "updates" ASAP !

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
And that is why we live in a democracy as I just want Microsoft to do "whatever it takes" to provide me with "updates" ASAP !

imho I just don't know if flushing money down the Verizon toilet will work knowing how VZ treats the WP platform but sadly with the distant 3rd place position of WP MS may not have any other choice but to throw cash at VZ if they want WP represented on the largest, fastest US wireless carrier

reignbass118

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

That's all well and fine for GSM devices, but it doesn't apply to the CDMA Icon, 928, or 822. Qualcomm has to insert the cdma keys specific to Verizon and each device's firmware. Microsoft would need these to bypass Verizon. Pushing Verizon out of this process will not end well for you or them.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
That's all well and fine for GSM devices, but it doesn't apply to the CDMA Icon, 928, or 822. Qualcomm has to insert the cdma keys specific to Verizon and each device's firmware. Microsoft would need these to bypass Verizon. Pushing Verizon out of this process will not end well for you or them.

I agree and if Thurrott's rumor turns out to be true that's why I think it will be interesting to see what agreement MS and Verizon will come up with to get around the CDMA key situation, first guess involves piles and piles of cash

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
<StartOfRant>

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I am dumping Verizon cell service (with them since before they were called Verizon) AND the Icon, and going with T-Mobile and the HTC One (M8) Win Phone ... and the $80/month UNLIMITED 4G LTE data plan. I pay VZN $60/month for 3GB data. WTF ?

But worse, I am fed up with the Icon's endless sudden - for NO apparent reason - rapid battery drain when activating (using) almost *any* app ... even something as simple as my Units Conversion App. IF ... I just do text and a few short voice calls, I can get 4 days w/o charging. But the sudden rapid battery drain has become a non-starter. And it has nothing to do with the same four background tasks I always have running. Just go into any app ... FB messenger, CNN, IE, camera, whatever ... use it for 5-10 minutes ... and there is a HIGH probability you will get the sudden rapid battery drain scenario (example: 96% charge down to 80% charge in 7 minutes!!!). If it wasn't for the cool battery app and it's warning notify ... the damn phone would go to zero in short order!

I realize not all of you (ie, not all Icons) have this issue, but mine does. And of course, it's questionable if the Icon will ever get Cyan. HTC M8 already has it. Also, between my VZN DSL service, land line and wireless modem (for my laptop - almost zero issues) ... I pay VZN a LOT of money monthly. And ... at home or work (Rancho Cucamonga CA), I'm lucky if I have 2 (of 4) bars of LTE at any given moment. In other words, the local 4G signal in my immediate area(s) is BS - borderline at best. A friends tMO 4G signal is full bars in both location.

So, I did the math and I am pretty much ready to pull the plug ... and for just $20 more per month ... get UNLIMITED 4G LTE data, instead of the nickle and dime BS VZN data plans.

</EndOfRant>

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I agree and if Thurrott's rumor turns out to be true that's why I think it will be interesting to see what agreement MS and Verizon will come up with to get around the CDMA key situation, first guess involves piles and piles of cash

I certainly do NOT know the technical implications ... BUT, no matter what, IF "Microsoft can NOT get Verizon on board" - through "nice talk" or boatloads of cash - it "just does NOT MATTER" as "without Verizon" WP is DEAD IN THE US !!!

reignbass118

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
<StartOfRant>

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I am dumping Verizon cell service (with them since before they were called Verizon) AND the Icon, and going with T-Mobile and the HTC One (M8) Win Phone ... and the $80/month UNLIMITED 4G LTE data plan. I pay VZN $60/month for 3GB data. WTF ?

But worse, I am fed up with the Icon's endless sudden - for NO apparent reason - rapid battery drain when activating (using) almost *any* app ... even something as simple as my Units Conversion App. IF ... I just do text and a few short voice calls, I can get 4 days w/o charging. But the sudden rapid battery drain has become a non-starter. And it has nothing to do with the same four background tasks I always have running. Just go into any app ... FB messenger, CNN, IE, camera, whatever ... use it for 5-10 minutes ... and there is a HIGH probability you will get the sudden rapid battery drain scenario (example: 96% charge down to 80% charge in 7 minutes!!!). If it wasn't for the cool battery app and it's warning notify ... the damn phone would go to zero in short order!

I realize not all of you (ie, not all Icons) have this issue, but mine does. And of course, it's questionable if the Icon will ever get Cyan. HTC M8 already has it. Also, between my VZN DSL service, land line and wireless modem (for my laptop - almost zero issues) ... I pay VZN a LOT of money monthly. And ... at home or work (Rancho Cucamonga CA), I'm lucky if I have 2 (of 4) bars of LTE at any given moment. In other words, the local 4G signal in my immediate area(s) is BS - borderline at best. A friends tMO 4G signal is full bars in both location.

So, I did the math and I am pretty much ready to pull the plug ... and for just $20 more per month ... get UNLIMITED 4G LTE data, instead of the nickle and dime BS VZN data plans.

</EndOfRant>

1. Did you have the same battery drain issue on 8.0/Black with the Icon? If not, then its a firmware issue. If you were ( I wasn't) then its an application issue.

2. So what if you pay vzw for other services. Its a company in business to make money. Why are you any more entitled to get an update or fix? You pay for the services you subscribed for, nothing more.

3. I've seen the same on at&t... And my speed tests were still faster. If you feel $20 is worth it, go for it. But my carrier works everywhere I've ever gone, and I travel for a living. Good luck.

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I certainly do NOT know the technical implications ... BUT, no matter what, IF "Microsoft can NOT get Verizon on board" - through "nice talk" or boatloads of cash - it "just does NOT MATTER" as "without Verizon" WP is DEAD IN THE US !!!

I'm patient enough that I just bought a new 822 for $80 and will put the dp on it like my last 822 that got bricked on dp with the last update to get me by until spring and by then I will decide if it's worth waiting for the next flagship cause I'm not paying $250 on ebay and don't want to use a two year on the Icon at this point because quite frankly, I continue to see to many people complaining about it when I had no complaints with the 822 as an interim phone. I wait. I wait. I win. I hope.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft owns a piece of AT&T. AT&T is Microsoft's best partner. Coincidence? I think not! Buy up some VZ voting shares, get Satya a seat on Verizon's board of directors, and make things happen!

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
1. Did you have the same battery drain issue on 8.0/Black with the Icon? If not, then its a firmware issue. If you were ( I wasn't) then its an application issue.

The phone I have IS the 8.0 Black Icon. I updated to the latest 8.0 firmware one week ago. Same exact issue.
It's not 'an' application issue, it's (almost) *any* app issue. The phone hardware has an issue or the (non replaceable) battery has an issue. Or, there is some inherent issue with the firmware itself. Basically, for all practical purposes, the phone as a device is unreliable.

2. So what if you pay vzw for other services. Its a company in business to make money. Why are you any more entitled to get an update or fix? You pay for the services you subscribed for, nothing more. \
No clue what you are referring to.

3. I've seen the same on at&t... And my speed tests were still faster. If you feel $20 is worth it, go for it. But my carrier works everywhere I've ever gone, and I travel for a living. Good luck.

Actually, after stopping at a tMO corp store last night ... my overall monthly tab with tMO will be $15 less than with VZN, and I will have unlimited 4G data, instead of 3GB. And that includes the phone ($22/mth), their WiFI device ($4/mth) to replace my VZB USB Modem and the Jump program. So, $115/mth instead of $130/mth. And hopefully a device that does not have the sudden battery drain issue.
I don't travel for a living, so I'm not concerned that much about coverage.

dwarfsize

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping that the developer preview is earlier rather than later- it was fun messing around with 8.1 before everyone was on the bandwagon

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720