Icon coverage on ZDNet

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-verizon-convinced-me-to-give-up-my-windows-phone/

Article on ZDNet calling out Verizon over the Icon not receiving 8.1. I also went in a similar direction and sold my Icon, but no way in hell was I going to keep giving my money to VZ like the author did, I left to T-Mobile and currently use an android Nexus 5. I do still have a 635 and I'm about to receive a Blu Win HD, so I'm still using WP, just not as a primary.

Shame to see so many people leaving WP due to Verizon and the Icon and 928 not receiving 8.1.

Thought others may find this interesting.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I read it also. The difference is the writer had no choice of switching to a different carrier, since only Verizon provides good coverage where he lives.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
What surprises me about this article is it comes from ZD.net who in the past has not been much of a WP supporter. Funny how things come around in the tech world.

I just bought HTC M8 for windows and the ZD.net review was quite positive The only rant was lack of apps but that never goes away.

By the way, I have a great ICON that will be on the market in a few days once I get the M8 up and running.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What surprises me about this article is it comes from ZD.net who in the past has not been much of a WP supporter. Funny how things come around in the tech world.

I just bought HTC M8 for windows and the ZD.net review was quite positive The only rant was lack of apps but that never goes away.

By the way, I have a great ICON that will be on the market in a few days once I get the M8 up and running.

I can understand Ed Bott's complaint. He definitely is technically-inclined enough to install Preview for Developers. However, I can speak from personal experience that running Preview for Developers without Cyan gave me terrible battery life. My battery life increased dramatically once I got the Cyan firmware.

He doesn't hate Windows Phone. He just wants a better experience and cannot change carriers.

Perhaps the lack of blocking unwanted calls and texts is a deal breaker for him. It would be for me. Only the Lumias have the ability to block calls/texts. That alone makes HTC a no-go for me.

EdgarPre

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
The entire situation is just compounded by each passing day of silence. Belfiore is clearly both restricted in what he can say publicly to defend the "business relationship" and also primarily focused on the company's big bet, Windows 10. I can't say I really blame him professionally. Verizon, on the other hand, simply demonstrates no regard for its customers by saying nothing at all. I won't go so far as to say I'm "entitled" to Cyan, Denim or Windows 10 on the Icon I bought seven months ago. But I do deserve more than silence. It's their choice whether they ascend the ranks of most hated companies. I'm sure Comcast/Xfinity would be more than happy to cede the top dog slot.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In my case, AT&T coverage and speed is as good as Verizon. I couldn't use T-Mobile or Sprint.

Yes, I have the same situation. Where I live both Verizon and AT&T have very good coverage, but T-Mobile and Sprint are out. Verizon has the best overall coverage though across the US. Few people will argue otherwise.

The entire situation is just compounded by each passing day of silence. Belfiore is clearly both restricted in what he can say publicly to defend the "business relationship" and also primarily focused on the company's big bet, Windows 10. I can't say I really blame him professionally. Verizon, on the other hand, simply demonstrates no regard for its customers by saying nothing at all. I won't go so far as to say I'm "entitled" to Cyan, Denim or Windows 10 on the Icon I bought seven months ago. But I do deserve more than silence. It's their choice whether they ascend the ranks of most hated companies. I'm sure Comcast/Xfinity would be more than happy to cede the top dog slot.

How many users know or care about updates? I bet it's a very small percentage. So is Verizon's silence and inaction actually having a measurable negative effect on their image? And just a few months ago when Verizon got the Icon and the M8 for Windows, we were saying that AT&T doesn't care about WP and that Verizon is where it's at. Now we've swung. And I'll venture a guess that in a few months we'll be back to Verizon.

EdgarPre

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I have the same situation. Where I live both Verizon and AT&T have very good coverage, but T-Mobile and Sprint are out. Verizon has the best overall coverage though across the US. Few people will argue otherwise.

How many users know or care about updates? I bet it's a very small percentage. So is Verizon's silence and inaction actually having a measurable negative effect on their image?

Oh, I agree with you. We undoubtedly reside in a bubble. However, I think the higher spec level of a model like the icon might have been more likely to find a buyer who is somewhat more tuned in to what awaits them through updates. And as for those updates, you didn't have to spend your days in tech blogs to catch the Cortana advertising push. I say that presuming that that majority who doesn't know about updates might also not be the population inclined to undertake something like the Developer Preview to get features like Cortana.

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I am just sick of seeing all the new apps publicized for WP 8.1 and here I sit and wait. And then what about the deal in India that MS is running? Trade in your old and upgrade to a "high end Lumia"

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Read the article, unfortunately since Verizon is CDMA carrier and not a GSM one.. people are stuck in limbo until Verizon change's their mind in regards to Windows Phone.

Also I noticed one of the commentors, Christopher Moor said he was running Denim on his Lumia 920... I guess he can't tell the difference between an OTA update and a bug :grincry: :winktongue:.

Edit:

So I registered and subtly told him to double check :grin:.

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Interesting read. I posted it in the regular Off Topic Lounge thread. I think VZW's grip will slowly but surely loosen up if they keep on pushing ahead with shenanigans like this. My 521 wi-fi calling works like a champ, not that I need it since I have signal now at my desk even. Once they update the repeater stations in the building all services will be at an equal footing with Sprint. Even VZW is terrible where I work. At home I have no issues with TMO.

Only downside on TMO is that they are busy selling the 521 (refurb now), 530 (not worth it IMO) and 635 (which needs a bit more RAM and a rear camera flash and FFC). The only other alternative now is the HTC One M8 for Windows but I am not a fan of their camera....

The Icon died a horrible death, similar to the 810. And because of VZW exclusivity we all lost out on the 930 on the other carriers in the USA.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think VZW's grip will slowly but surely loosen up if they keep on pushing ahead with shenanigans like this.

It won't affect Verizon unless they pull shenanigans with the iPhone or Android. Their WP user base is small to begin with, and probably very few of those WP users even know about Cyan. So you have a very small percentage of a very small percentage of Verizon users who are upset. I doubt they care much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb