MS Store free icon

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It appears that the MS store has a firesale on the black icons today. Free with contract.

I was all prepared to get this device back in Oct but VZW (as u are all well aware of) officially stopped selling it just before my contracts were up.

I wanted to put this out there for some of your input... if you have a 928 as I do right now, would you "upgrade" to the icon taking this deal, or wait for summer and see what win 10 phones look like?

I am leaning towards waiting it out.

Last edited:

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Love the 928 for its size which is perfect for me as I'm a one-handed texter. I got the Icon after a batch of 928s that had audio jack issues, even though I didn't want to upgrade. The Icon is such a faster phone I wouldn't go back.

Sure the next phone out will be better and faster (assuming Icon gets the long promised firmware/denim updates) but so will the one after that. The only feature I'd change phones for is a 1020 style camera coming to Verizon (yeah, yeah I'm stuck).

07outback

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I had a 928 and loved it, but still had 3 months to go on my contact and itching for a new phone. So I decided to upgrade to a Icon last week. So I bought 1 off of eBay that was a clean used one. I received the phone on Thursday. The seller was true in his description, and wow it is so much nicer than the 928. I am glad I decided to make the change. I love the Icon, especially now knowing the denim upgrade is coming in a few weeks.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Yea, that is too much for a possible discontinued phone. If someone wants one off contract, find a good used one, you should be able to get a good used one for $250-350 depending on where you look.

No question, it IS one of the best Windows Phone devices available right now and the best on Verizon but, seeing how VZW does not sell it puts questions on long term support for the device.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was really close to ordering it. I wanted this phone 2 months ago... But the more I think about it in gonna wait for 10 devices. I also use glance and double tap on my 928. I was really looking for the bigger screen and faster guts. And like u say... Knowing vzw pulled the plug on it only having it out there 6 mos is not the best signal to send.

07outback

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Yea, that is too much for a possible discontinued phone. If someone wants one off contract, find a good used one, you should be able to get a good used one for $250-350 depending on where you look.

No question, it IS one of the best Windows Phone devices available right now and the best on Verizon but, seeing how VZW does not sell it puts questions on long term support for the device.

I bought mine on eBay for $198 2 weeks ago. I was over at my local VZW store to pickup a micro sim for it and they were still selling the icon in this store. They had both the white and black model on display.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The best choice I made from 928 to Icon. I was gonna wait for the 930 but didn't know if Verizon was gonna get it so I just went for the Icon and love it. I like the matte look too, the size and speed. Now just them.damn updates.

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I didn't have a 928 ever, but I wish I had been able to experience the phone. I had an 822. I LOVE my icon which I got in August. So fast, such a great size, and a wonderful camera. Now all it needs is the denim update. I was planning on upgrading next year when more phones come out, but with denim supposedly coming early 2015 I will wait and keep my icon until Verizon gets another lumia phone comparable to the icon. Yes, I only like the Lumias.

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
So here I am again with the Icon calling me. Had a bad deal with my 822 that bricked during an update and bought a replacement to tide me over until the next flagship. I would have bought the Icon months ago but missed out on a .99 cent deal. Now with the Microsoft store offering it for free again, I am tempted. I wonder what I will do? In one chat I'm told the deal will last through the end of the year. Ask again get a different answer and am told don't know when the offer dies.
On one hand I think I'm all set since I just replaced the 822 but then a free Icon comes along.
Arrgghh.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So here I am again with the Icon calling me. Had a bad deal with my 822 that bricked during an update and bought a replacement to tide me over until the next flagship. I would have bought the Icon months ago but missed out on a .99 cent deal. Now with the Microsoft store offering it for free again, I am tempted. I wonder what I will do? In one chat I'm told the deal will last through the end of the year. Ask again get a different answer and am told don't know when the offer dies.
On one hand I think I'm all set since I just replaced the 822 but then a free Icon comes along.
Arrgghh.

I know right? I was wanting thus phone but was waiting for my contract to be up. Which was Sept. Then they disc it. My 928 is running ok but I just want something snappier. Got the m8 for the wife and daughter so I've played with them and wasn't impressed.

Now its a little thing like do i wanna give up glance for the icon. I use my 928 with the dt910 as a night stand clock and this is better than the apps. And with windows 10 coming in 8 months or so I keep falling back on "just wait".

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I was lucky and found a guy selling a near perfect condition (small ding from a drop, barely noticeable) Icon for 80 bucks on Craigslist, box and everything. Turns out he just wanted $80 to upgrade to an S4, and his sister worked for the Microsoft store here in town (Indianapolis). I used a generic search term "windows" and browsed under cell phones so it was a "hidden" ad, hence why I was the only person to find it (I find deals like this on eBay also by spelling stuff wrong or searching the "wrong" way lol).

​I just got it activated on Straight Talk Verizon Wireless and LTE and everything works perfectly. Straight Talk now provides CDMA Nano SIMs :angry::amaze:. Upgrading from an AT&T 920, and must say I really can't see ever going back...

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
So killed a few minutes today and asked via chat again about how long the Icon will be free. Third time I've asked them via chat and the third different answer I've gotten. This time said well we have plenty of them so I think it's a permanent price drop.
I don't believe there is any difference between these guys and the phone cos!

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Everyday seems to weirder with this phone.
Stopped in at a brand new Verizon store on my way home today. This store is supposed to be the way forward for corp. stores.
Much to my surprise there was a nice Windows phone section. It was actually given fair treatment with signage and display area, counter space etc. Heightening the surprise, they had two Icon's on display! White and black. Cool I thought. This store just opened within the last two weeks and replaced an aging store and is pretty decent. The fact the old store didn't give a crap about windows phone well, I was pretty happy actually. It made me feel that they know there is a future for this or they wouldn't have bothered giving it almost equal presence with Android and Apple.
I ask if they have a white Icon in stock? (Microsoft Store web site says black only) No. In fact we don't have any Nokia phones in stock but we can order them I was told. Okay, will you match Microsoft free offer with a renewal? No. We don't price match.
Oh well, when I get a chance I will go to the mall and see if the Microsoft store has any left in white I guess. So the discontinued phone is alive and well in my area I guess.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I bought a 928 summer of 2013 (coming from Trophy near launch, from OG Droid before that). I was able to acquire an Icon also near the end of this summer.

I use them both still. It really does depend on your usage.

For me, camera is huge. The 928 basically gave me a "real" camera in my pocket at all times, for the first time. Outdoor image quality is certainly fine enough on it. The OIS aids video and any long exposures, and the various camera apps give me plenty of options. Indoors is where the 928 completely owns the Icon though. Low light, no flash, long exposure maybe? Win. Trying to freeze people (we have two little boys)? Xenon FTMFW! Glance is great, as is double tap to wake.

But, the Icon isn't completely out of the running. That camera, especially if you are doing landscapes, sunsets, sunrises, even action with light, far away shots...well, I would love a modern, fast, super high pixel count version, but reframing with that kind of data at your disposal is uncanny.

The screen is lovely, but it chews on battery. It does have FM radio also.

Speedwise...if you put them next to each other, they look nearly identical. Hell, so does the 520. Get into some app loading and the Icon can pull away a bit, at least for 2 seconds until the app loads on the 928. ;)

I would vote for enjoying your phone and holding out for the new shiny. And then keeping the 928 anyway as a nice backup and camera etc.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I had a 928 and just upgraded to Icon, mainly because my 928 was malfunctioning and it was either Icon or spend $100 for insurance replacement. I got one for my SO also as her 822 was starting to malfunction as well (plus was old). Did the $499 edge deal (just a tad cheaper than free on contract, with some more flexibility). Yes, I am aware you can get on eBay for $250-$350 but did not want to take the risk of getting a dud with no warranty.

For me, the Icon is not really lacking anything that is a total deal breaker and it is packed with a ton of goodness. Now that Verizon's 15GB plan is a lot cheaper, the SD slot is less important for me (also had bad experience with SD on the 822) and the lack of glance is not something I care much about. Had it on my 928 and it was fun as a gimmick but never really depended on it.

Plus Icon will have "Hey Cortana" which 928 can never have, and I think that is great as it can help tremendously with a lot of hands free functionality. I am quite confident it will get Win10 as MS continues to sell it and states all their current phones will get Win10.

One other thing to keep in mind - there is no guarantee Microsoft will make a phone that is as good as the Icon in 2015 in the camera and recording departments. Sure, they could easily release something better - or not. All we have seen Microsoft release so far is low end and lower end. Even if they do make a better one, there is further no guarantee it will be on Verizon. I figure with this Icon I can revisit the MS phones in mid-2016 when they have some more experience with phones (10.5?) and perhaps a better vision from their CEO of where they plan to be in the phone market.

Last edited:

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm in kind of. Called the local Microsoft store to see if they had any white icon's. The call gets routed to a call center where I'm put on hold and told they will call the local store and check for me. Oops must be busy cant get through. But they can check inventory remotely. Oops sorry they're out of white. Ok thanks. I stop by the store on my way home and sure enough they have the white so I sign up and take it. Get home to set it up and see that it is not charging. Tried three different plugs and no dice. But my wireless chargers work just fine.
I seem to recall someone else mention they had this problem. But the problem is not acceptable on a new out of the box phone. So I've got some time to check it out but this one needs to go back. Sadly. And for humor I asked the girl at the store if I break the warranty putting DP on? Well technically yes but I know we have taken care of people that have had a problem.
That kind of pisses me off because it's kind of like a nudge nudge wink wink deal.

Longstone

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this post. My wife and I needed to upgrade and the store didn't have any Icon's in. So we both upgraded to an HTC One M8 at $200 a piece. Saw this the same day and took the HTC's back and ordered these. Had to pay restocking fee's but still saved us $330.

Kind of bummed the Icon doesn't come with 8.1 since my 928 got Denim the week before Christmas but I don't mind waiting until January. Until then we'll both run the developer preview.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa