Looking to use ICON to play music in car. Tape adapter not an option.

Joseph Anthony2

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Any suggestions on products that are compatible with the ICON to play music in my car. I can't use the casette tape adapter. I used to have one of those devices that connected to the cigarette lighter but it worked with my iphone.

Any recommendations for a product will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think you only have a couple of options...

they make a Bluetooth visor mounted hands free device you could use... and they may still make those cigarette lighter devices that take audio from a headphone jack (possibly Bluetooth too) and output the signal on a radio frequency your car can tune to...

Can't say for sure the audio quality on either of those options though.

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Go to a car audio shop and go over in-dash installations options. Bluetooth devices need to plug into your radio (either through an auxiliary or extra cd input), or you can just run an auxiliary cable through the console (warning: aux cables will go bad very quickly if not properly installed). You can also just buy a whole new radio that has aux input or Bluetooth built in. Don't waste time w FM transmitters!

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Or buy a new FM transmitter for your cigarette lighter that just uses an aux cable instead of lightning connector. that way it will be compatible with any device.

As the other person said, a new radio is a possibility. I have the JVC KD-X250BT which has Bluetooth, Aux, FM and USB. Easily can be bought for less than $100.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Or buy a new FM transmitter for your cigarette lighter that just uses an aux cable instead of lightning connector. that way it will be compatible with any device.

As the other person said, a new radio is a possibility. I have the JVC KD-X250BT which has Bluetooth, Aux, FM and USB. Easily can be bought for less than $100.

I use something like this...

FM Transmitter, Wireless FM Transmitter for Apple iPhone iPod | Meritline.com

Cheap, sounds pretty good over all (sick of changing out discs on my factory indash 6 disc changer), rechargeable (does not need power from your phone or take up a spot when using). You can set any FM channel on it (find a black channel where ever you travel and your golden). Best of all portable, I use it sometimes over a friends house on their stereo, just flip on a FM radio, select a static station and adjust the channel on the device and plug then play.

It's also cheap enough if you hate it, your not losing a lot of money, only problem with merritline, it takes 1-3 weeks for things to come in...(depending on where you are)

Only way to get better quality sound is to hardwire something to your stereo or replace your stereo.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Any suggestions on products that are compatible with the ICON to play music in my car. I can't use the casette tape adapter. I used to have one of those devices that connected to the cigarette lighter but it worked with my iphone.

Any recommendations for a product will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Not sure I understand the part in bold. If the issue is simply that the connector you had before no longer works on your Icon (since the Iphone uses a the proprietary Apple connector and the Icon uses USB and headphone jack), and you used Bluetooth + a 3.5 mm input jack on your car stereo, I can definitely recommend what I am using:

Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX: Cell Phones & Accessories

Works great with my Icon and with Cortana, and depending on your car it can be pretty unobtrusive.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Mike - They used to make one for the iPhone that plugged into the lighter. It acted as a car dock, charger and FM transmitter. They were popular before automakers started putting Infotainment systems in their cars and trucks.

Joseph - I don't think you'll find one like that anymore. However, Hotvak's and Mike's suggestions seem to be pretty slick. Though I think I like Mike's better.

PhalanxPunx

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
My experience with FM transmitters in the past has been horrible. I tried three different kinds and could never find a free station where it would sound decent. Of course this was a couple years ago and maybe they have improved, but I think if you live in an area with tons of FM stations you will always get interference that makes it unlistenable.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
True in an urban area they are not a good solution, out in a rural setting they work a lot better. I used one a long time ago, but being in south Eastern Arizona we didn't have that many radio stations to interfere.

techfury90

Nov 27, 2007
Visit site
I used to use a cassette adapter on my second car... then I just ripped the original tape deck open and hacked a line-in port onto it. Works like a charm! :D (Also looks MUCH less ugly than an aftermarket radio)

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I had one of those itrip adaptors that hooked up thru the headphone jack. I to had a hard time finding a station that was "empty" to get descent sound from. So I hooked my power antenna up to a toggle switch so I could put the antenna down when wanting to use the phone as a music player. That helped and all was good. Although last summer I just bought a new head unit that had built in blue tooth and that was so much better.
The itrip thingy that I had was only about 35$ less then the Bluetooth head unit. I wasn't looking for the best on the market, but everything works great, not just music, but I can take and make phone calls with just using Cortana. The head unit also reads out my text messages for me and again I can just dictate my replies thru Cortana.
The head unit was going into my 65 thunderbird, so it wasn't just a quick and easy plug and play job. But still it only took about an hour to be in and working, and i don't think I would want to go back to one of those adapters...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eddacker