How I improved the flash on my Icon camera

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey I'm sorry for replying to your post, and all I was trying to point out was that even with the tape in place you will end up still with red eye from time to time. Even in your example images you did not display a before image with red eye, or your "demon eyes". Actually your example only showed a reduction in flash output. You already know that the flash is not as powerful as the xenon flash of the 928, and with the tape in place you are only reducing the output from the flash.

Your original title was how you "improved" the flash, and you mentioned your reason was because of horrible red eye. However your example did not show this "improvement". Your original rant was too about the underpowered flash output of the Icon, but your improvement again does not address this problem, it only exacerbates that problem.
I was only trying to address the issue you brought forth. And I only brought up PhotoShop, and editing images off camera, because just about any on phone program should be more then enough. But if you end up with any image that's too much of a problem going off phone would be what you need.

You want to edit on the go, and just about any on phone editing program should be able to take your under lighted images and be able to brighten them up. Not because of the taped up flash, but addressing the difference of the non Xenon flash. The red eye problems, YOU should be able to fix that problem, seeing you "understand why red eye happens".

Again I'm sorry for replying to your post...

The examples I had on phone with red eyes were all of kids - which I try to avoid posting in online forums for obvious reasons. Will diffusing the flash 100% prevent red eye. Will it reduce it? Yup.

Like I said, for non-photographers, this can be a cheap, easy improvement. Photoshop won't fix demon eyes, nothing will. Red eyes, can, to a degree be fixed but I would rather have a little diffused flash, than try to fix demon eyes or red eyes. If you are too high and mighty to benefit from it, move on.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
It has nothing to do with being high and mighty, it has to do with experience mostly. Diffused light (from putting tape on your phone) is not going to fix all instances, or all situations that may cause red eye. You're reducing your flashes output, which you are also complaining about. I also just gave you a suggestion for the iblazr, for a more powerful flash, plus offered you the suggestion of looking into the optical triggered flash. I really don't see your reason for thinking I'm talking down to anyone. I'm not making fun of your tape idea, it's just you are contradiction yourself with this idea. And up until you singled me out i did not say anything about.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
For anyone else whom are actually interested the iblazr does work with windows phone (as stated on their website).

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
It has nothing to do with being high and mighty, it has to do with experience mostly. Diffused light (from putting tape on your phone) is not going to fix all instances, or all situations that may cause red eye. You're reducing your flashes output, which you are also complaining about. I also just gave you a suggestion for the iblazr, for a more powerful flash, plus offered you the suggestion of looking into the optical triggered flash. I really don't see your reason for thinking I'm talking down to anyone. I'm not making fun of your tape idea, it's just you are contradiction yourself with this idea. And up until you singled me out i did not say anything about.
Original post made no reference to the power if the Icon flash (none f my comments made reference to the power of the flash, you simply inferred it.) and I said diffusing would help reduce, not eliminate red/demon eyes, which it will. I am not at all a contradiction. Please feel free to move on Thanks for being a killjoy, by the way. Like I said, if you for it care for the idea move on and go troll someone else.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if these will work with Windows phone also? If so then the is your more powerful flash, and also very close to an of camera flash unit. But in any case it could move the flash off of the plane as the image sensor...iblazr ? The First LED Flash For iPhone, iPad, Android Smartphones and Tablets (can be used as a flashlight).

Or also what about optical triggered flash units. Those giving you true off camera flash for your smartphone's...

It looks like it. I saw the WP logo on the web page that linked to the iBlazr beta app in the WP store.

As for optically triggered flash, I have a light trigger and I can test to see if it works. I believe it should. In either case, you are carrying around up to two extra items with you, just to overcome the shortcomings of camera phone (in general) and the Icon (specific) on board flash.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
It looks like it. I saw the WP logo on the web page that linked to the iBlazr beta app in the WP store.

As for optically triggered flash, I have a light trigger and I can test to see if it works. I believe it should. In either case, you are carrying around up to two extra items with you, just to overcome the shortcomings of camera phone (in general) and the Icon (specific) on board flash.
The iblazr actually looks interesting, and I just ordered one for myself. I really don't have that much of a problem with the flash, but I do keep it off most of the time like I normally do with all phone cameras.

Also I would be instead to know how the optical triggered flash would work. I haven't used one of those in about 20 years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo