Lumia ICON works with AT&T LTE... confirmed, picture included

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Subject line is self explanatory. Included photo is meh thanks to the quality of the Moto G's camera, but yeah.

IMG_20141229_175716559.jpg

I'm here in Miami, FL. Cricket is ATT's prepaid subsidiary. I believe the LTE is coming through on Bands 2 & 4 which ATT may or may not provide in your area. Also, bear in mind that this phone is not associated with my present Verizon number. An old flip phone is active on my Verizon account, along with the lowest amount of data plan (cheaper than the ETF). So, if you're thinking of switching and plan on continuing to use your ICON, you might be able to.

Again, this depends on if ATT or even T-Mobile use LTE bands 2 & 4 in your area.

DISCLAIMER: Subject to change upon Denim's release.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Awesome. Can you submit a screenshot of a speed test?

Looks like it would be supported here in Youngstown, OH / Cleveland, OH area. Very tempting...

Last edited:

legend921

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Dang, I was hoping for all the features to work. I went ahead and bought a 930 and not use LTE. I have been trying out hspa+ for a couple of days on my 735 and the speed difference was negligible. Would still love to have LTE though.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Dang, I was hoping for all the features to work. I went ahead and bought a 930 and not use LTE. I have been trying out hspa+ for a couple of days on my 735 and the speed difference was negligible. Would still love to have LTE though.

Are you saying that your choice is between LTE on the ICON vs. MMS on the 930?
That's if bands 2 and 4 are available in your service area.
Presuming they are, and even given Verizon's shytti support for the ICON thus far, that question isn't even a question :\

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Workaround to get MMS might be to downgrade to 8.0 with the AT&T SIM in, use Nokia Access 0
Point to set MMS APN settings, then update to 8.1

shann123

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia ICON works with AT&T LTE... confirmed, picture included

I used an ATT SIM on Straight Talk and MMS worked fine (no LTE in my area). Download the Access Point app and the you should be able to set the MMS apn. I have a post that shows the ST apn, you'll have to find the right ones for Cricket. One word of caution, I'd you switch back to Verizon or PagePlus you'll have to manually set the apn.

Feel free to PM me if you hit a roadblock. I think the best part about the Icon is being able to use it on most/all MVNOs

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

I used an ATT SIM on Straight Talk and MMS worked fine (no LTE in my area). Download the Access Point app and the you should be able to set the MMS apn. I have a post that shows the ST apn, you'll have to find the right ones for Cricket. One word of caution, I'd you switch back to Verizon or PagePlus you'll have to manually set the apn.

Feel free to PM me if you hit a roadblock. I think the best part about the Icon is being able to use it on most/all MVNOs
Only issue is that AccessPoint doesn't work in 8.1, so you have to downgrade to 8.0 first

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I am currently using my Icon on Verizon through Straight Talk and everything works perfectly fine. The activation kits now include Nano CDMA LTE Sim cards, so I was able to boot mine up no problems. I get full LTE, MMS works, literally how it would be on Verizon had I signed a contract for only $45 a month. On top of that, I only paid $80 for my Icon from a dude on Craigslist who didnt' know what he was selling lol...

Might be worth investigating instead of having to go through hoops. I originally bought the Icon and planned on using it for Cricket, but then I decided on Straight Talk for their AT&T service (had been using them before and they offer the most data at 3GB). I went to Walmart to buy the activation kit and to my surprise the box said it sold every single SIM for any carrier. These kits now include AT&T Micro/Regular size (in a punch out card), AT&T Nano SIMS, Tmobile Micro/Regular size (in a punch out card), Tmobile Nano SIMs, and Verizon Micro/Regular size (in a punch out card) and Nano SIM cards. There were a total of 6 SIMs in the package and I was thrilled.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I am currently using my Icon on Verizon through Straight Talk and everything works perfectly fine. The activation kits now include Nano CDMA LTE Sim cards, so I was able to boot mine up no problems. I get full LTE, MMS works, literally how it would be on Verizon had I signed a contract for only $45 a month. On top of that, I only paid $80 for my Icon from a dude on Craigslist who didnt' know what he was selling lol...

Might be worth investigating instead of having to go through hoops. I originally bought the Icon and planned on using it for Cricket, but then I decided on Straight Talk for their AT&T service (had been using them before and they offer the most data at 3GB). I went to Walmart to buy the activation kit and to my surprise the box said it sold every single SIM for any carrier. These kits now include AT&T Micro/Regular size (in a punch out card), AT&T Nano SIMS, Tmobile Micro/Regular size (in a punch out card), Tmobile Nano SIMs, and Verizon Micro/Regular size (in a punch out card) and Nano SIM cards. There were a total of 6 SIMs in the package and I was thrilled.

Straight Talk's website doesn't show any deals on multiple lines. Are there?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Straight Talk's website doesn't show any deals on multiple lines. Are there?

Nope...

But I bailed on Cricket before I could even get started: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ca...t-does-not-want-my-4-lines-their-service.html

Now I'm on ST and the transition was painless. Worth more to me than a few dollars to know I can go the self-service troubleshooting route. That is a MUST for being on an mvno, IMHO. http://forums.windowscentral.com/t-mobile/328086-fond-farewell-magenta-lass.html

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Nope...

But I bailed on Cricket before I could even get started: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ca...t-does-not-want-my-4-lines-their-service.html

Now I'm on ST and the transition was painless. Worth more to me than a few dollars to know I can go the self-service troubleshooting route. That is a MUST for being on an mvno, IMHO. http://forums.windowscentral.com/t-mobile/328086-fond-farewell-magenta-lass.html

Signing up through their website is a definite no-go. The latency really is unacceptable.

To the larger issue... It truly is necessary to have a local location where issues can be resolved.

legend921

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Presuming they are, and even given Verizon's shytti support for the ICON thus far, that question isn't even a question :\

Yeah, it's not just mms. It's more of the hassle with dealing of downgrading the phone to windows 8.0 and I stall the APN app to update the settings for TMO and not all the features on the phone work consistently. As of now even being on FauxG the speed different is not as astronomical for everyday use. I am still able to stream video in HD and stream music with no hiccups. So I just went with that and got a bright colored 930 and denim. Plus I hate the Verizon branding on the phone.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

Only issue is that AccessPoint doesn't work in 8.1, so you have to downgrade to 8.0 first

If you open SIM settings in 8.1, add MMS APN appears along with Manual Internet APN/ edit internet APN and you have all the options AccessPoint has

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

I got stuck with a work iPhone and HATE it. My family is still on att. I have a 1520 (currently on sale on eBay) that is just to big to carry around with my other phone (no service any more line given to kid). I am currently hoping off service off my work phones hot spot, which is ok.

But in a week or so I am planning on picking up an icon. I would like to eventually use data on the thing, so this is possible good news.

Preference leans towards a 930, but at almost double the price it would be hard to justify as a play phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb