Any help appreciated...Should I buy the Icon?

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I was going to buy the Icon, but am now having 2nd thoughts because of some things I've read. I'm hoping some of you can help me make a decision.

I'm switching to Verizon from T-Mobile. Not happy with T-Mobile's service and customer care. I have the 925. I've been happy with it. The 928 is out dated. Microsoft offers the Icon from their website for free. So I'm thinking of going that route.

I have a few questions..

Does the Icon have 8.1? I read that people have had issue's with DP. Specifically WiFi and that's a deal breaker for me.
Is the Icon going to be worthless because Verizon took it off their shelves and they won't be updating it?
The specs for the camera look good on paper, but is it an excellent camera? A really good camera is important to me.
I've read it doesn't have glance or double tap. I read rumors that future updates will include it. Is this true?

The big bummer for me is no memory card slot, but I might be able to live with 32gigs.

Any other pros or cons anyone can add please do so.

Thank you.

​P.s. My other options are LG G3 or IPhone 5c. Would any of those be better?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Does the Icon have 8.1? I read that people have had issue's with DP. Specifically WiFi and that's a deal breaker for me.
Is the Icon going to be worthless because Verizon took it off their shelves and they won't be updating it?
The specs for the camera look good on paper, but is it an excellent camera? A really good camera is important to me.
I've read it doesn't have glance or double tap. I read rumors that future updates will include it. Is this true?

Not yet. Verizon is supposed to be pushing out WP8.1/Denim in early 2015. As for future updates, it should be getting the sequel to Denim. The 822 which is fairly old is getting Denim.

No it doesn't have Glance (and never will get it). I may get Double tap when it gets Denim, but I'm not sure about that. I've read conflicting reports (rumors?) about it. The camera is awesome. I've taken some really good images with it. With Denim it will be even better.

The big bummer for me is no memory card slot, but I might be able to live with 32gigs.

Any other pros or cons anyone can add please do so.

Your Microsoft account comes with 15GB of free OneDrive storage. So 32+15 = 47GB of storage total.

https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/plans/

You can also get 100GB free by earning enough Bing Rewards by doing Bing searches.

Some other things to consider. Once Denim hits, you'll have "Hey Cortana", 4K video recording as well as some other goodies.

I'm running WP8.1.1 DP and I am not having major problems. Poor battery life is my only complaint.

I hope this helps.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would not recommend the Verizon Icon.

Questionable support aside, I never recommend buying yesterday's technology at today's prices. Note that the phone launched mid February of this year. The technology is over a year old. There are several non-Windows phones that clearly outclass the Icon at the same price. There are documented issues with the screen (primarily for the international version Nokia Lumia 930) and battery life.

The primary flagship Windows Phone option with Verizon is the HTC One M8. However, phone has it's own manufacturer support issues and lacks some features of the Lumia line which may/may not be a deal breaker for you.

Long story short, no to the Lumia Icon. Additionally, Windows Phone options are limited with respect to Verizon. Best option is the HTC One M8.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I never hold or see ICON in real but I familiar with 930. As they essentially same I think it's a great devices.

Well if I would choose between ICON and 930 I go with 930. If you can go for it grab it. Both devices great

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

Questionable support aside, I never recommend buying yesterday's technology at today's prices. Note that the phone launched mid February of this year. The technology is over a year old. There are several non-Windows phones that clearly outclass the Icon at the same price. There are documented issues with the screen (primarily for the international version Nokia Lumia 930) and battery life.

The primary flagship Windows Phone option with Verizon is the HTC One M8. However, phone has it's own manufacturer support issues and lacks some features of the Lumia line which may/may not be a deal breaker for you.

Long story short, no to the Lumia Icon. Additionally, Windows Phone options are limited with respect to Verizon. Best option is the HTC One M8.

Not to be argumentative, but I'm curious what non Windows phone clearly out classes the Icon at the same price?
Given that the Icon is free from Microsoft. And all the VZW issues aside, I can order one at my local VZW store for $99

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

Questionable support aside, I never recommend buying yesterday's technology at today's prices.

What free phone is better than the Icon???

The Icon is still elite. Phones haven't advanced as fast as you claim. Sure a lot of phones are in the Icon class now. But not a lot of phones are better than the Icon.

It will be updated and once it is updated, it will be a flagship again. Heck, it's still a flagship as I can brag about the beautiful screen, the great body, the great camera, etc.

ricardp23

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
What issues are there with the screen? I've had no problems with mine and I don't know of any other phone out there with similar screen performance in full sunlight.

As for the OP, I can compare the icon to the g3 since the gf had it for a bit. The screen on the g3 is bigger and is really nice, camera is decent, and software comes with some nifty features like being able to mark screenshots and their health app on the phone. The screen eats up battery super fast though and in direct light, the screen is hardly visible. I also personally have gotten used to the cleaner screen arrangement in Windows phone.

The icon screen is more useful in day to day use, battery lasts longer, you also get Qi wireless charging, and better camera.

ricardp23

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I also find it worth mentioning that in the time I've had my icon, I haven't experienced any slower performance since I got it in March. Android phones, including all the flagships I owned in the past were/are notorious for slowing down after about half a year just from normal use.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
The specs for the camera look good on paper, but is it an excellent camera?

Camera is good but it has a very slow shutter. For still images or shots you can set up, it's great. For quick shots, not so great. It takes some getting use to and could be a non-issue when Denim is released, but that's TBD.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Notice how the M8 was mentioned...LOL since that phone's release, they have been dogging out that phone trying to make the M8 relevant and better because of its front facing speakers and the fact that it is newer and blah blah blah :D

ANYWAY....

The Icon is a very lovely device. I know quite a few people who have the phone and I have managed to convert a lot of people over to Windows Phone and Verizon towards it. My bf and friends have had the icon and there are little to no issues that I've really heard of.

You have to remember that just because you hear of various things happening, that doesn't make it a common trait. Bendgate with the iPhone bending with the iPhone....I had it....Even in my pocket, tight as can be, and it never bended for me despite bending for others.

It does not presently have Windows Phone 8.1 but it has been officially announced as to getting WIndows Phone 8.1 and Lumia Denim....so far Verizon is the only US carrier to release denim to any of the US windows phone and if it holds true, the Icon may get it before any other carriers.

The Camera speed is such a big misconception. Yes, the camera shutter is slower than some other phones. It's not THAT bad as people(especially HTC fans) try to make it out to be. I'd rather have a slightly slower launch and shoot time and get a superb pic with amazing quality then have a phone that can launch fast but the quality is "good enough for social networking....Just be careful not to crop it" on the HTC phone.

Denim has shown so AMAZING improvements over Cyan and the Lumia 930 has Denim and it is amazing and the camera speed has increased and has added some amazing features and qualities.

Hey Cortana, as mentioned above, is so far only announced for Lumias like the Icon. It's a small feature but a feature I want and cant wait to use on my own Lumia and something other windows phones don't have.

It's free...Get yourself one from Microsoft and enjoy the full featured Lumia Icon :D It's actually Verizon's best Windows Phone ;) Followed by the Samsung Ativ SE of course.

PS- Utilize your Onedrive account. Store/Keep your pictures in the cloud and not on the phone. Leave your storage on phone for apps and for music.

Not to be argumentative, but I'm curious what non Windows phone clearly out classes the Icon at the same price?
Given that the Icon is free from Microsoft. And all the VZW issues aside, I can order one at my local VZW store for $99

What free phone is better than the Icon???

The Icon is still elite. Phones haven't advanced as fast as you claim. Sure a lot of phones are in the Icon class now. But not a lot of phones are better than the Icon.

It will be updated and once it is updated, it will be a flagship again. Heck, it's still a flagship as I can brag about the beautiful screen, the great body, the great camera, etc.

Evidently, he didn't read the OP's entire post and missed the whole free from Microsoft part.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
My answer: DEFINITELY!

But, like any phone it has issues. Still, I consider it *the* flagship windows phone of all those on US carriers.

Reasoning vs other popular flagship phones:
1. Lumia 1520 is too big for most people, and the at&t version lacks qi. Also has unresolved phantom touch issue in many phones.
2. HTC One M8 has a crummy camera, no wireless charging, no 'hey cortana' passive voice activation, no capacitive buttons, no camera button, and its processor is no better in real world use (100mhz difference whooptie do). M8's only real advantage is an SD slot which does not make up for all of the above disadvantages.

Icon issues:
*8.1 Denim update is not out yet, but definitely coming soon per Microsoft (jan/feb). Wait for the official upgrade as the DP is buggy on the Icon.

*Screen image quality - looks awesome in most cases, but upon close inspection color uniformity can be inconsistent - such as on white/grey backgrounds a light pink or green cast on certain areas of the screen. Not all icons have this issue, but many of them do.

*Assembly issues - there is a good chance the screen of your unit may not be flush with the bezel in one or more corners by about 0.5mm. Not all icons have this issue but many do.

* No glance - but it will have double tap to wake and Hey Cortana passive voice activation with Denim update in Jan/Feb.

* Verizon has sort of discontinued the phone but you can still order it in store (they will ship to your house) and Microsoft still sells it. Verizon still supports the long discontinued 2.5 year old 822 with a fw update within the past month so I do not see an issue with Icon support.

OVERALL a spectacular phone that is still king of the windows hill but will require a bit of patience in getting 8.1, as well as the patience if you get a unit that has screen issues which are not acceptable to you and may require a replacement.

Despite the issues, I don't see any phone that is nearly as good as the icon overall.

Last edited:

rfulton

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Amazing phone with rock solid WiFi in my experience. Camera is fantastic. I look forward to 8.1. OneDrive for storage is wonderful. Family just did 4 days in Disneyland. hundreds of clicks and I never ran out of space. Images on a tripod with 4blend HDR are spectacular. Voice Camera for remote shutter, as there is no Bluetooth or NCR release. If you already have a WP8 phone I will assume you have already made the migration to Activsync for Calendar, contacts, email etc. Use the DT-900 for the fastest charge available today ~2.5 hours. My battery life is one day with all the extra's I have turned on. To get this phone for free is amazing. Buying 2 more for family members.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't really see a phone under $200 bucks that's better and this phone is free. I sure hope 8.1 denim comes out like soon. Not sure I can handle 8.0. Might try DP and hope it's ok. I had 8.1 DP for the 925 when it first came out and had zero problems.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I would ask if you want to be locked into 2 years or not on VZ before getting it for free. You can buy one in great shape for $250 or less, so you might think of buying it outright, then going to VZ with it. That way, if you don't like VZ, you have more carrier options that can be utilized with that same phone.

Edit: the Icon is a fantastic phone. I gave a 5c to a family member for Christmas. It had a nice screen, and a good camera, but it didn't match the Icon in either respect, imho.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I was just about to place my order and MS had some difficulty on their end, They kept trying to charge me $99 bucks. They told me to try tomorrow while they fix the bug or something. For $99 bucks I can get something else probably better. Again, don't really have the cash to spend right now. Best Buy has the Note 3 for $1. So I think I'm going to go with that. I'm a big fan of the Lumia 1520 because of it's big screen. Too bad it's not available on Verizon.

I know this thread was originally about the Icon and this is a WP site, but if anyone has any experience with the Note 3, let me know. I know the camera isn't as good spec wise, but I searched and still looks like an excellent camera.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
the Note 3 is a great device. I just updated a Nexus tablet to Lollipop, and it was a very nice update. I believe the Note 3 will get that also.

If you want a 1520, have you looked at AT&T, or gone to an AT&T store? The 1520 and Note 3 are roughly comparable (except camera), so your choice is mostly relative to the OS.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't know anything about the Note 3, so can't comment on that. I will put in a good word for the Icon. It's a great phone, with an excellent camera.
It is even better if you can acquire it at no cost. I would recommend waiting until tomorrow to see if the pricing is straightened out.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
the Note 3 is a great device. I just updated a Nexus tablet to Lollipop, and it was a very nice update. I believe the Note 3 will get that also.

the Note 3 was awful for a number of my friends. it didn't feel fast because of the stupid Samsung UI.

they dialed back the custom UI for the Note 4.

I don't know how you choose a Note 3 over a 1520 unless you really wanted the pen and had to have Android. The 1520 definitely feels faster than the Note 3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb