The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-22-2015 09:47 AM
55 123
tools
    Is anybody aware of a navigation app that will tell you if your destination will be coming up on the left/right? This is the only gripe I have with Here Drive+.
    CoPilot does.
    bmetelsky likes this.
    01-04-2015 03:33 PM
    I'm using iPhone and have an app that is really amazing for on-road and off-road navigation - Spyglass. Its crammed with all that necessary data like gps coordinates, current azimuth, altitude, speed, potential arrival time to your target and much more. It can read pre-downloaded maps later when offline and provides you with extremely precise information. I can't remember a single occasion when it messed me up.
    01-05-2015 03:32 AM
    For me indian user I use here drive which has not failed on me not even once.Only reason that I still love wp.
    From Windows phone
    01-05-2015 08:37 AM
    I'm using iPhone and have an app that is really amazing for on-road and off-road navigation - Spyglass. Its crammed with all that necessary data like gps coordinates, current azimuth, altitude, speed, potential arrival time to your target and much more. It can read pre-downloaded maps later when offline and provides you with extremely precise information. I can't remember a single occasion when it messed me up.
    It cost $2.99 where as Here+ Drive and Waze are free. Also, the WP version is very different from the iPhone version.
    01-05-2015 10:55 AM
    I've been using Here+ Drive and have had no issues whatsoever! Been using it everywhere from Florida to Montreal and it has always been accurate and easy to use.
    Laura Knotek and gernerttl like this.
    01-05-2015 11:00 AM
    I won't use Waze any longer (Google).
    I use CoPilot and Here Drive + and have no issues with either one.

Checking out Spyglass now though.

It may be ok for some things, but it's pretty lousy at locating anything around me.
    and there are a lot of things around me. So, Spyglass is a no go. Uninstalled
    Last edited by Tepid; 01-05-2015 at 05:19 PM.
    01-05-2015 04:47 PM
    Is anybody aware of a navigation app that will tell you if your destination will be coming up on the left/right? This is the only gripe I have with Here Drive+.
    Navigon does.
    01-05-2015 05:19 PM

Navigon's UI is very appealing in the 3D view The software provides everything the others don't or lack. It is the most expensive of the navigation apps in the market at nearly $50.00. You really need to get it when it is on sale for $37.99. Every 2 yrs you will need to renew the maps at a cost of $29.99. This provides the latest maps downloaded quarterly, and real time traffic. There is an in app purchase of $7.99 that provided 3D topography that makes the UI even more amazing; this 3D is on top of the 3D that comes with the app. I am currently using Navigon as it suits my needs the best.
    I have tried some of the others but Navigon is best for me. So many features including traffic, route options, integration with Bing searches, speaks street / road names, exits, maps are downloaded to the phone so you don't need internet service (works when there is no internet or slow or intermittent internet service) and so much more. It uses Navteq maps, arguably the best maps available. Research it. NAVTEQ is owned by Nokia.
    01-05-2015 05:30 PM
    FYI. Here, Here Drive, and Here+ Drive all use Navteq...and it's free!

https://www.here.com/navteq-redirect/?lang=en-US

Here is owned my Nokia. They didn't sell that part to Microsoft.
    01-05-2015 05:47 PM
    FYI. Here, Here Drive, and Here+ Drive all use Navteq...and it's free!

https://www.here.com/navteq-redirect/?lang=en-US

Here is owned my Nokia. They didn't sell that part to Microsoft.
    Yes and for auto navigation systems for many car makers, Garmin, Lowrance, NDrive, Yahoo! Maps, Bing Maps, and more.

Professional Maps.
    01-05-2015 06:00 PM
    I use Navigon. Its pricey, but it is definitely better than here+, which I had a bunch of problems with. Navigon will still do something quirky once in a blue moon, but overall its solid. Plus, since they are a garmin company, there is someone I can call and actually talk to if I am having problems. That makes things much nicer in my view. All in all, it does what I need it to do.
    01-05-2015 06:15 PM
    As much as I like Here Drive+, as a former TomTom user it to me was a step backwards. On TomTom if I knew there was a roadblock ahead or a section of road I wanted to ignore before setting off I knew how to do that so it would find a better route. Here you can't do that.

G.
    I miss TomTom, I used to use it on Windows Mobile, as my exclusive app, even over my factory navi in my car. Wish it came out for Windows Phone, been wanting this one for a while but, as I have not used it in a long time, I would need to try it again to see if I like it over Garmin or Here+

Too the OP, after all this, I would see what features you need and use some trials. Personally I have found Here+ very accurate for me with no times ending up lost or in circles anywhere. It's best to be fit as a basic Navi app, if you want more advanced features, another software package will have to do.

Waze I have used a few times but, it totally killed my battery using it for about an hour not on a charger but, as other have said, it's really good for traffic notifications (my wife swears by it on her iPhone)...

Garmin has a lot more features over all and has traffic but, at a high cost and does not have off line maps (need data to use it).....

Good luck on your final choice...
    01-08-2015 11:01 AM
    Ultimately, it will be how much you are willing to spend, how, and how often you use your phone for directions.

For me, I can pretty much get to 95% of the places I need to go without using my phone as a GPS. So spending $40.00 and then spending money for updates seems a bit much. Here+ Drive and Waze will fit most users needs for free. With the added bonus that Here+ Drive also uses the EXACT same maps as Navigon and you can download them for offline use. Additionally, since Here+ is owned by Nokia, you have somebody you can call (or email) if you are having problems.

So look at your needs and usage and weigh that against how much you are willing or able to spend.
    01-08-2015 11:06 AM
    I've been using Here Drive, but honestly, its shafted me every single time I've used it.
    01-08-2015 11:13 AM
    I use Waze around L.A. It is fantastic at changing routes as accidents happen. I wouldn't mind trying another navigation app in L.A. but haven't had a chance to download any. I used Here Drive+ for a bit but one issue I have is I can't figure out if Here Drive+ will show turn by turn directions after it starts the navigation process. I like switching between turn by turn directions and navigation to know what lanes to be in.
    01-11-2015 10:24 AM
    Navmii looks interesting also, but I still contend that Navigon is the most reliable and function option out right now for the platform.
    01-11-2015 03:42 PM
    I use Waze. It's a love/hate relationship because it's taken me through mountains sometimes or into really bad neighborhoods in LA. -__-;

The social features are awesome, where you get notifications if other Wazers spotted a cop or traffic.

I also use Here+ Maps. The GPS version wasn't bad. I liked the speed limit feature of it the most.
    01-12-2015 11:48 AM
    +1 for waze, integrates well with Cortana too.
    Last edited by 3acres; 01-12-2015 at 02:36 PM.
    01-12-2015 11:55 AM
    I'm having problems with waze as well. The other day, even though I knew the best way to get to where I was going, I had it give me directions. When I got to an exit that would have been the most direct route, waze was still telling me to take the next exit about 2 miles down the road, and would have been about a 15 min detour.

To make things even worse, when I got off the highway, I knew to take a left, yet my phone told me to take a right. I ignored the phone, but still thought maybe there was a terrible traffic jam that my phone was trying to route me around. Nope, my phone was just confused or trying to get me lost.

Maybe this is all because i'm use the Developers Preview on my Icon?
    01-25-2015 09:29 PM
    Ok, I'm curious what navigation app people are using. I've been trying to use here drive, but i'm fed up with it.

Today my phone continued to give me directions that had my son comment "Why are we driving around in circles?" I pulled over to look at the app and I could see that all I had to do was drive a little bit more and then take a left and my destination was straight ahead. I started to drive was ready to take a left where I could see my destination when my phone told me yet again to "take a right and then a right". My wife being an iPhone user told me "Ignore the stupid windows phone." It's hard to depend a phone that continues to give bad directions
    It's a fact is the app isn't perfect. It's another fact that it's still better than the options. Sorry you got unlucky, but honestly that's rare.
    01-25-2015 09:34 PM
    As a shuttle driver for Toyota, I use Here Drive+. I love using it on my Lumia 830.
    01-25-2015 09:53 PM
    I'm having problems with waze as well. The other day, even though I knew the best way to get to where I was going, I had it give me directions. When I got to an exit that would have been the most direct route, waze was still telling me to take the next exit about 2 miles down the road, and would have been about a 15 min detour.

To make things even worse, when I got off the highway, I knew to take a left, yet my phone told me to take a right. I ignored the phone, but still thought maybe there was a terrible traffic jam that my phone was trying to route me around. Nope, my phone was just confused or trying to get me lost.

Maybe this is all because i'm use the Developers Preview on my Icon?
    It's not WP8.1 DP and it's not necessarily the app or GPS either (or at least. Not completely the app's or GPS's fault). The mapping data is really nothing more than a database of places and coordinates that the app reads from and plots on a map. A favorite camera shop of mine is near an entrance ramp to the H1. However, the map shows it is ON the entrance ramp to the H1. I get the same whether I'm using Google Navigator or Here+ Drive. I've also run into this with other locations and addresses. On the app side, navigation apps are only as good as the data they are using and how well they read the GPS data supplied by the phone. If the app doesn't translate the GPS data correctly or rounds off the locational data by say one or two decimal places, you could easily wind up with a difference of 100 yards or more. In an urban environment that is pretty significant. Finally, the GPS itself can be a factor. If the GPS doesn't have a good fix on enough satellites for whatever reason, its accuracy can be substantially reduced. Again, in urban environment 100 yards is pretty significant.
    01-25-2015 11:55 PM
    ... if Here Drive+ will show turn by turn directions after it starts the navigation...
    It won't. My biggest gripe. What if you want to look ahead at what it's going to tell you? And the relationship between Bing and Here maps is not solid. I had a bad experience once when I got a route from Bing, verified the route steps there, then went to Here. I didn't verify the route steps again (why would I??) and after Here started I couldn't, but apparently Here calculated a different route for me and not the one I wanted, and I had no way to know.
    01-27-2015 07:07 AM
    here Drive+ is the best. I still use it.
    01-27-2015 08:20 AM
    another navigation choice if you are not happy with some of the apps suggested in this thread is the just released for WP Sygic GPS
    pmhgeneral likes this.
    01-27-2015 05:07 PM
55 123